Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

gorgeous, I think they would be great in the summer. Where can one purchase these at? :cool:

They're WWII Impressions USMC roughouts. Compared to the Army roughouts they have more of a narrower toe and no rivets. Here's a photo of one of mine. I decided not to sno seal em.

Will you believe it if I said they are Stacy Adams Madison's?

I got them brand new this past Friday as beaters to hold me over until my White's Semi-Dress comes in. I wore them since and exagerated all my bends and crouches. I then used the trusty dremel to sand off the edges then I applied brown polish. They weren't the shiny Kid Leather, but still had some shine, so after the dremel job, I got a rag and nail polish remover. I then rubbed the entire boot. I used q-tips to get into the creases and edges. Voila!!! My "shoes that look better with five days of use and abuse" Seriously, though - they WILL look better with age.

Edit: Got 'em new for $85.00

Also, someone pointed to the captoe black alden shell boots on theshoemart. I was thinking those as well. The problem is I already have them in a #8 shell, but that probably won't stop me.

You could see if Tom still has a pair of these in your size:

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/01/19/alden-shoes-sf-boot-restock/

It's too bad that there isn't a plaza wingtip in black and the AF60 has a commando sole. Otherwise, I think either one would be good for your purposes.

Good choice fre$sco, my brother has the Roy boot and it really is one of the best Alden boots out there IMO. If I wasn't so hooked on my White's SD (and the long wait time) I'd be putting a pair on order myself.

I'm still hoping I'll walk into the shop one day and they'll tell me they have an extra pair of 11.5's sitting around that I can take off their hand without the wait :)

Checked out the Wolverine 1000 Miles yesterday. Totally unimpressed in person. They felt downright flimsy compared to my GT's. Oh well...

And normally priced at $325:

http://www.theshoemart.com/wolverine-mens-1000-mile-black/pvc-wol-mxsbc-w05300_wol_m_1000_mile.html

Same as the seller on eBay. I asked if they had more sizes/prices and the claimed not to.

I've got a question regarding the sizing of these boots. Do they fit true to size or are they rather on the large side...?

I would say they are more or less true to size, at least length wise, they are quite roomy though so an insole is probably needed.

I'm still working with Baker's / White's on sizing up a pair of Smokejumpers on the Northwest Last. White's has my measurements with and without orthotics + a old pair of my orthotics. They (White's) are going to call me tomorrow to discuss sizing... I have some concerns that I want to discuss:

*They are recommending a 9.5F (EEE equiv) for one foot and 10F for the other. This is to accommodate my orthotics in the toebox area. I'm concerned that the boots will be too wide in the Heel so I'm speaking to the custom fit folks at White's.

I currently wear Alden Modified Last shoes in 9.5 EEE - if you look inside my shoes, they say EEE / E - which I'm pretty sure means EEE in the toebox and E in the heel. I'm going to see if White's thinks this is a good idea or not... I'm also going to see if they have a pair of Cougars (Northwest Last) in 9.5F that they can ship to me for a sample fit. I have no problem buying them and then returning them if these guys will work with me. Just not sure they will have a 9.5F sitting around the factory to ship out.

Will let you know what I find out.

It seems that some of white's is going to be built with a single row welt from this year.

is there any functional diffrence between double row welt and single row welt?

I always thought that double row welt is characteristic of white's and wesco.

^^Off the top of my head nothing comes to mind except Brooks Brothers Black Fleece makes some very interesting women's take on classic men's shoes. But for the most part I know that most English shoemakers like Edward Green and C&J definitely have a women's range.

Don't know enough about US companies to help.

Does anyone know of a US-based shoemaker (such as Alden) that make classic oxfords/wingtips for women???

Interesting topic....did women wear "wingtips" back in the day? That sounds like a tough search too....are you looking for women's sizes in a men's style? You could probably get away with a men's shoe in a narrow width.