Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

excellent haul.

Looks all early 60's to me. Probably a guy from the end of Korea going on the GI bill to Michigan...

Great collection. Too bad he wasn't a bit taller and bigger.... then I could wear it!

HH - Most of those sweats are from the late 50's to possibly early 60's. None of it is from the same person...came out of a major pack rat sale.I can tell you for certain that the two white duffels are from WWII or ealier. I suspect that the flight bag is from the Viet Nam era. The bag with the leather handle is a postal mail bag used on trains and is probably 40's vintage. Not sure about the handled white bag or the scout pack. The scout pack is much heavier canvas than the 60's or 70's ones I've handled.

Actually HH, I'll recant what I said. The short sleeve sweat is from the early 60's, but the ones with the wide cuffs and waistband are definitely from the 50's. Not all sweatshirts had the deep V design. Check out these pics form a 1951 Montgomery Wards Catalog. Clearly item "C" does not have the deep V. BTW, I suspect the V stitch was added so that you could cut the sweat and it wouldn't fray (I apologize for this being in the shoe forum):

P1013649.jpg

P1013648.jpg

P1013650.jpg

from epaulet

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-343/Thorogood-for-Epaulet-Horsehide/Detail

SIZING

The boot is available in Medium ("D") width only. As with most workboots, it's generously cut to allow for layered socks. We recommend that you order one whole size down from your regular shoe size for a proper fit (i.e. if you typically wear a size 10, order a size 9 in this boot). If you're familiar with workboots from Red Wing and the like, you can expect a similar fit from these.

as a side note, what is the leather quality of frye's boots? specifically the engineer or the heath harness

thanks in advance

Quite pliable. Imported Frye's don't look as nice, but most of the leathers used are visually quite nice. Oily leathers will hold up well (such as the USA engineer) but the garment leather boots have little finish which looks nice but can scuff pretty easily.

MIM ones are still nicely made, but lasts are IMO so-so.

I'm not down w/ Alden or chukkas, so I guess my opinion is moot on that.

For sizing im a 10.5 in sneakers and I grabbed a 10, and they are pretty much perfect, maybe a little snug. In all honesty the soles are pretty shitty on snow/ice but they keep my feet dry which was my biggest concern. Fit pics as requested.

lost the selvege on these onis when I got them tapered unfortunately.

20100215-R0018147.jpg

20100215-R0018151.jpg

My apologies for the shitty pictures. I just got off work and I can't be bothered to go outside again. I'll probably post better pictures of the black SD once they're more worn in. Anyway:

New last SD vs. Old Last (Bounty Hunters)

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

(new last)

IMG_3324.jpg

(original)

IMG_3325.jpg

I still love them both, but I think the newer last works better for the kind of boot I wanted with this pair. The toe is slightly wider on the new last.

Thanks for the pics, that is awesome. Looks like the outside profile is about the same but the inside profile of the new last is straighter leading to the wider toe-box. Overall I think I like the original better myself but I may order a pair in the new last to give it a go and see it in person.

I was hoping to get an opinion on these Alden Chukkas

alden.1272S.jpg

as a side note, what is the leather quality of frye's boots? specifically the engineer or the heath harness

thanks in advance

the kudu leather on the chukkas is very durable and waterproof. They are a nice pair of boots to wear to work when the weather is shitty outside but you can't get away with a pair of LL Bean boots (since these look somewhat professional with chinos and cords). I didn't pay retail for mine and I don't know if I would since there is a Indy version coming out with Kudu leather that I would rather get for approximately the same price. But if you are interested in them, keep in mind that they will last close to forever (as with all Aldens with proper care and rotation in between wearings) so they are worth their value in that respect.

Hey, would you guys be willing to help me find the sleekest brogue boot around? Right now it looks like the only option is the only Alden on the Leydon last, the AF107. There is apparently a collaboration brogue on the plaza last that I'll be looking into tomorrow but I'm not too hopeful. Outside of Alden are there any options? The closest I could find was the Loake Burford and Grenson Sharp (ASOS link because it shows them worn), and I searched all of Pediware. I'd like to stay below $350.

The Paul Smith Sundance is very ideal.

I had never seen those Dr Martens Peter boot - it's actually pretty nice for the price. In general I'm not a fan of those bulky soles, but the shoe is actually pretty decent. I wonder what those would look like on a different sole....

....here are some teaser pics sent to me recently for some shoes I ordered. Happy Valentines Day to me. These WILL look even better with age.

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Those are some pretty boots glimmer.

Was wearing these on the weekend and decided to give them some leather food. Bunch of pics coming up. I don't like these boots to look shiny so it's mostly just cleaning and conditioning them.

Getting ready for treatment:

o5yyjm.jpg

Post-treatment:

33yji1s.jpg

30di8lj.jpg

xy5xi.jpg

9kp8p2.jpg

11u7uo2.jpg

21177yp.jpg2yjwihe.jpg