Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I don't get what the problem is with J. Crew. First, all the Mister Freedom fanboys got a hissy fit because it was carried there and the once cult status, only sold at Self Edge product was available to the masses.

Now the coveted Indy boot is being sold and another shit fit starts. Who cares. Alden's are widely available as it is, so what if J. Crew is playing up their exclusive boot. Good for them.

J. Crew isn't "getting away" with anything. You do realize that in order for a company to sell products through them an agreement is made. Our beloved Alden has sold us out!

And as for reserving judgement until these Indys are seen, what's with this attitude that J. Crew gets second rate knock offs from legitimate brands. It's not like the brands say, "Well, since it's J. crew and we usually make our boots in America, we'll ship everything to Macau and have the 405s made there".

I actually like that J.Crew goes out of their way to carry brands that are in some way or another "smaller" than they are, whether it's Clark's or Blundstone or Mr. Freedom... I just think they copywriters need to check with their buyers once in awhile.

=

another shit fit

?

what the fuck are you talking about?

And as for reserving judgement until these Indys are seen, what's with this attitude that J. Crew gets second rate knock offs from legitimate brands. It's not like the brands say, "Well, since it's J. crew and we usually make our boots in America, we'll ship everything to Macau and have the 405s made there".

Not sure if this was directed at me, I meant reserving judgment as opposed to saying J.Crew failed. I personally like that J.Crew carries this shit. I wouldn't have a MF Foul Weather coat otherwise.

Whenever J. Crew carries a brand that people on here fiend over, people overreact. It happened with Mister Freedom, RW, and now Aldens.

It's ok for Context to have an exclusive Alden boot but not J. Crew.

Have you read the last ten posts above yours?

I'd completely agree that there was a lot (perhaps for you, too much) discussion about MF and RW stuff being carried, but no one is losing it about Alden stuff except for you...

I don't get what the problem is with J. Crew. First, all the Mister Freedom fanboys got a hissy fit because it was carried there and the once cult status, only sold at Self Edge product was available to the masses.

Now the coveted Indy boot is being sold and another shit fit starts. Who cares. Alden's are widely available as it is, so what if J. Crew is playing up their exclusive boot. Good for them.

J. Crew isn't "getting away" with anything. You do realize that in order for a company to sell products through them an agreement is made. Our beloved Alden has sold us out!

all of that was worthless and un-warranted. unless that was targeted towards some sort of future "shit fit"

my comments were directed at how j.crew likes to depict their involvement in the design processes of their products, or misrepresent products they are selling.

examples: indy boot moc toe stitching was not their idea and is in no way a customization of a current offering.

the selvage Levi's that were offered a while ago were not LVC

they had nothing to do with any of the design of any mister freedom items, which was contrary to their description.

I too like the Jcrew Indy's and it don't even bother me that they're carrying them... I doubt they'll be an instore item (alot of their special items aren't) and so therefore I doubt the masses will embrase it so much, especially for the price. That's cool with me too. As for Jcrew's involvement with this variety of Indy boot, yes the statement makes it sound like the moc stitching was their idea - shrug, I almost expect to get bs from places like JCrew. BUT on the other hand these boots do have a different stitch pattern (though NOT an improvement by any means IMHO) than the 405 and/or 403... it's just not at the toe area. Unless the 403's have a stained welt, then Jcrew has bragging right on that too... and it's is a nice touch, again IMHO. Now what the real news about this whole deal is - that Jcrew was able to get a contract with Alden AND get George Lucas to approve using the Indian Jones name !! He's supposed to be very guarded with the rights.

I asked a question in this thread, or one of the Red Wing threads, asking what particularly makes the GT waterproof as compared with regular boots (they advertise them as waterproof) The problem I describe below has scared me from wearing them any more this winter, as though not ruined, my other RW's are not looking good right now:

You know that wet, then dries white (I assume from Salt, but we do not really use salt too much here, too cold) and kinda a lumpy outline thing that happens to boots? Usually around the soles. For whatever reason, I got a huge stain and raised and white outline on my heal of a pair of my Red Wings (lifestyle). I can not figure out where it is coming from. Anyhow, ideas on how to treat?

Its not so much the colour, that comes off with some lexol conditioner, or any liquid, it is the bubbling where the leather has been saturated.

The whole area, out to the ridges was white when I first noticed, I think they fell over and sat in their own puddle, but I have no evidence of this. The next day, after cleaning and moisturizing, the outline was white again, now, the last couple of days, even after wiping and cleaning, they end up like this.

Pic Added:

2usxyc2.jpg

Dubbed them rough outs last night:

First boot done:

IMG_6217.jpg

and this is what they look like today:

IMG_6224.jpg

i'm not quite sure if i should change the laces but i kinda like them like this, what do you think, should i change them for some darker ones?

excuse me did you use something to change the color???

may i know what it is?????

i'm a beginner in the boots world

excuse me did you use something to change the color???

may i know what it is?????

i'm a beginner in the boots world

He said he "dubbed" them (a waterproofing process). Which means he probably added some sno seal to them.

i just walked outside for 40 mins in the slush and rain and these boots basically let the water through no problemo. wet toes and i'm hoping i'll get my sno seal by monday :(

but yeah at 80€ i guess i shouldn't have asked for much

though the toebox is flattening out just fine after a week of wear :)

These are my work boots..steel toe red wings (i forget the model)

Worn for about 6 months, 6 days a week, 12+ hours a day.

I work at a Nuclear power plant..so sometimes im wearing protective clothing over the boots which does prevent scuffing..they actually almost got taken from me by radiation protection because they set off the body counter (contamination was detected on them)

We discovered it was just radon gas from the fog so they got to live to see another day :)

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

^ haha good question...actually they do..although its never enough for a pair of new red wings. It also depends what power plant you are at..since i travel to plants all over the world every plant has a different policy. The one time my buddy had his taken he was given $80 for new jawnz.

Did they call them jawnz when they took them.