Levi's Vintage Clothing

A machine wash is absolutely fine, but the only reason to use a dryer is if you want maximum shrinkage.

The dryer removes resins and accelerates the loss of indigo - according to Cone, the people who make it. It also gets rid of the clean-jean crispness, doesn't smell as nice as when jeans are left to dry on the line, and is incredibly wasteful of energy.

Fair enough. I did want maximum shrinkage, but I guess that doesn't outweigh the cons.

Personally I only ever hand wash and then hang dry. Give them an initial soak and then wear em till they've got a good greasy sheen on em before the first propper wash.

Hold on to the indigo for as long as possible, let the shrinkage happen slowly (fades don't seem to move too much) and I can't see many people at the turn of the century / 20s / 30s / 40s tumble drying their jeans. Not that I see my jeans as re-enactment costume.

I usually wear a W32 and bought a W34 of LVC 501 '47. You can see my fit on previous page pics (after one hot bath soak of 2 hours). So you probably will fit ok with a W32.

So am I to understand that these don't stretch too much? If a 33 will shrink down to a 31 or 32, will is stay about there or stretch out?

Guest Raul
So am I to understand that these don't stretch too much? If a 33 will shrink down to a 31 or 32, will is stay about there or stretch out?

I have worn them for only one whole day after bathing, however not much stretching yet.

2 questions from a newbie:

1. How do LVS's compare to some Japanese selvage brands such as Eternal, PBJ, Samurai and Warehouse in terms of denim quality, fading, etc.?

2. What online retailers do you recommend for buying LVC's (best selection, good pricing, good return policy)?

Thanks.

2 questions from a newbie:

1. How do LVS's compare to some Japanese selvage brands such as Eternal, PBJ, Samurai and Warehouse in terms of denim quality, fading, etc.?

2. What online retailers do you recommend for buying LVC's (best selection, good pricing, good return policy)?

Thanks.

"LVC's", not "LVS's"

In regards to first question. That requires a bunch of research on this board and I don't think you will get a great answer in this thread. Lot of open defintions like "denim quality" and "fading"... very subjective and you need to determine for yourself what "quality" denim is and what type of aging qualities do you want in your denim.

For online retailers, the best place is cultizm. Best selection and prices.

Just want to vent here that the crotch of my 1954 501Zs exploded yesterday. So bummed. Apparently the only people in the country that can repair denim are Denim Doctors at HTC in Cali, so I'll be shipping them off sometime soon, not expecting to see them back anytime soon. Going to try to get the zip fixed/replaced too so it's flat.

This sucks. Less than 3 months old. They were just starting to get good. Artisan denim should come with a warranty.

Just want to vent here that the crotch of my 1954 501Zs exploded yesterday. So bummed. Apparently the only people in the country that can repair denim are Denim Doctors at HTC in Cali, so I'll be shipping them off sometime soon, not expecting to see them back anytime soon. Going to try to get the zip fixed/replaced too so it's flat.

This sucks. Less than 3 months old. They were just starting to get good. Artisan denim should come with a warranty.

damn, less than 3 months? were they super tight? do you ride a bike all day long? that seams pretty ridiculous...

damn, less than 3 months? were they super tight? do you ride a bike all day long? that seams pretty ridiculous...

Not super tight - they are slim but they fit me accordingly, if not just a bit loose. The 1954 is a pretty slim fit anyway.

Not biking, but skateboarding several days a week probably did it. Still, other jeans I've had have held up much better and longer with the same abuse.

^ Don't fix the zipper to make the fly flat. One of the nice vintage details on this model is the wonky shrunken zip.

I know, I know. I like it in theory, and I like the way it looks on vintage jeans - but on these when I wear them it just makes it look like they are super low rise or something because the zipper kind of waves and curls under.

For online retailers, the best place is cultizm. Best selection and prices.

Unless you live in the UK. Aeroleather are at least £20 cheaper and also offer a great service, good returns policy and you can phone/email and have the item correctly measured. Talk to Will at Aero.

Chucks Vintage has outstanding tailors for repairs and alterations also. And service tends to be faster than HTC

I hate to bring up anything that might spark another vintage fit debate but I saw this on the Lee's thread and thought it was interesting. I've often wondered if Levi was doing something similar. This is a Lee ad from 1955. MikeBT posted it.

cmk06861.jpg

from what I've gathered Slim Husky and Regular were boys sizes that were meant to fit different types of kids. My dad told me he was always a Slim growing up and that his mom always complained that she wished her son was a husky. that was back when you had to buy levi's at the local hardware/dry goods store or the Lazy H western store in Bartlesville, OK.