Levi's Vintage Clothing

yo is the deadstock pair show here

http://www.levisstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2116308&cp=2068573.2068693&parentPage=family

the raw pair? cuz the picture doesn't look like it

Thanks, but I am talking about the 1966 505's, not the 1947 501's. (If you meant this post for someone else, I apologize.)

-Jake

um my post was a question haha i was wondering if the "deadstock" pair in the link i posted is the raw pair cuz in the picture it looks different.

Use the pull-down menu for 'select color' and yo'll see there are four finishes, one of which is deadstock at $175. Those are raw.

um my post was a question haha i was wondering if the "deadstock" pair in the link i posted is the raw pair cuz in the picture it looks different.

Ha! My bad, ninja.

-Jake

an update, for those that thought i may have been pulling anyone's leg:

first off, i was kinda disappointed that nobody could provide me any info on the 646's, so hopefully this can be of use for anyone in the future. these have been warm washed and hot washed in the machine. hung dry both times. they hardly shrunk at all, not even the 3%. i went with the 29x32's a bit nervous but now really glad i did, they fit just right and i was worried they'd shrink down too much. didn't at all. get your real size!! (and for the record to clear anything up, these are the 1966 646, not the 1971's that may/may not have been on clearance)

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

not the greatest fit pic, i'll try to get better ones eventually. i'm just digging the way they kinda hang in that bootcut way. frankly i was gettin so sick of this whole too tight too skinny jean, and even though my 47's were my size, they almost felt too tapered especially with my boots.

also the denim post wash is much darker than the close up pic, that's the flash. denim quality is every bit as nice as my 47's, i dare say even nicer (maybe just that new jean ready to get broken in feeling?). i'm officially down with sanfordization. and i suggest you get down too.. the new 517's are very very nice choice as well..

Did anyone see this?

http://dimemag.com/2008/02/08/jordan-levis-collaboration/

I didnt know about it until i saw the ad on xxlmag.com. The add says they are available on levis.com, but I dont see them. If for some reason they are available at niketown, I'll probably get a pair.

Yeah, sorry about that - I didnt see a live Levis thread so I figured the next best place would be here?

Though, the shoes are vintage...and this is a Levis/Nike callabo, so in some small way there is some vintage connection.

Post saved!

Nice 646's, I've been wearing a pair since sept 06, rotating between them and my RRDS. I really love the vintage blue of the denim, esp after you get some fading going. Although I purchased my real size and they fit alot tighter than yours. But its good to know they dont shrink I was worried about that. It's good to see someone else is finally breaking in a pair. I thought I was the only one.

sympathy- i would recommend sizing down from 31 now that i know how they wash. anyone who tells you (for example most of the sz 34's and 32's on ebay currently, etc..) that they'll shrink a size or 2 is mistaken. i wear a 32 in the 47 501 which is a 29-30 waist now. the 29 646 fits perfect at the waist post wash, even some good room to spare, they have that feel of a looser baggier jean, but with a slim fit leg (until thje bottom of course). may just be an indication more of the cut, with the bigger back pockets and the way the bell/boot cut sits on yr frame compared to the anti-fit 501, but i would def say that the 31's would be big/baggy. which could be cool, by the way. the legs are still skinny all the way through until the bell, so a bigger slouch/kind of waist look can certainly be pulled off, and i'd say is almost refreshing now in these prevelant days of nut-hugging band dudes in tapered jeans. just my opinion. also, just like 501's, the denim stretches back, so yr almost better off sizing down anyway..

Pink -

Sorry about never getting back to you on the deadstock 646s. I soaked them for a few hours, dried them twice in the drier and never got any real shrinkage, either. I ended up taking my 34x34 pair in to a tailor to get them to 33x32... and the waist is just a little too big still, but I'm hoping over the life of the jeans they will eventually shrink that 3%. I guess since I took them to a tailor I sorta forgot about the sizing stuff you'd asked.

My main question: on your receipt for the jeans, what does (did) it say? Mine reads:

1971 646 DEAD STOCK

(underneath) 646700217

The tag inside the jeans just has that code, nowhere does it say 1971 or 1966. So, the question is whether Levi's tried to unload a bunch of older 1971's from Spring 2006 by putting the Spring 2007 booklet on the jeans, or whether something in their system is reading a code wrong and spitting out 1971 instead of 1966 on the receipts.

Last thing: already, the stiching in the middle of the little diamond on the bottom most part of the arcuates is starting to come loose. I'm mildy worried, 'cause I think once it goes all the stiching will follow. So watch out for that, I guess.

And again, sorry for the late reply!

yeah hey that's a good question. now that i think about it, it wouldn't shock me if that's what levi's actually did, we are talking about a company that can't get the copy straight on its website (see those 1873 501's, right. and the 646 too, rigid). certainly wouldn't put it past them to be misleading, whether knowingly or not, especially on products from their website, whcih seems to run as a seperate business entity. though the stores are not much better, as far as employees knowing just what the hell they're selling when it comes to LVC, at least here in the US. it's pathetic and it's been well-documented here.

i can't find the receipt right now, i'll keep looking somewhere in my papers i'm sure, but they definitely came with a spring 2007 hangtag and were sold from their website as 1966 646. actually gets me wondering, and maybe the resident levi's experts/historians can answer this one: was there even any difference between in the actual production 1966 and 1971? i know 1971 was the last year of the big E, but in terms of fit? denim used? weight? etc.. did it change at all from 66'?

Few pics of my 551zxx (from Oct 97) vs 2007 1947s and me wearing 551zxx vs 507xx (50/60s) and 1947s vs 506xx (40s/e50s) Jackets are 03 and 06 2000 . All are Valencia St manufacture bar the 1947s . Pics are not great but hope you enjoy .

receipt002.jpg

receipt004.jpg

receipt007.jpg

receipt008.jpg

receipt009.jpg

Has anyone here ever found out from levis why they recommend sizing up on there lvc models ? If i took there advice and sized up 2" on my 55's and 44's i cant imagine how ridiculous and overly big they'd look.All my lvcs fit true to size with the exception of 47's but even these stretch out fine if worn true to size. Its been bugging me for a while so i thought i'd ask. Iirc Paul T mentioned a while ago that he was hoping to talk to the pattern maker and wondered if anything came of this.

Nope, haven't had a chance, sorry, haven't done any Levi's projects in the last 12 months. And yes, it is a real irritation. Perhaps they base it on the sizing of the originals, but in any case it's not consistent between the rigid and washed jeans, so you can't even try on the latter to work out of the former will fit you.

Thanks for the reply Paul. Hopefully you'll be able to get an answer on this sometime. When you mention about basing it on the originals are you sayingat in the 40's and 50's levis put the exact same siznig tags on the jeans i.e increase your waist size by 2" etc ??

My experience is size up on 47s (eg actual W34 L32 go W36 L34 raw ) and as actual on 55s (eg W34 go W34 raw and cold soak/wash only) . In my opinion ,for what it is worth ,this will come as close as you will get to original worn sizing , based on extensive photo research . Other might disagree but thats m 0.2c .

As for other features well 1947s are very close (pockets slightly smaller altho have seen a few pics with small pockets !) , 55s belt loop and patch digits/letter styling is wrong for mid 50s but take the patch off you are close to an early 50s 501xx . However I think these should really be considered generic repros as it would be hard to reproduce exact copies in every size given the different factories and their idyosincracies(sp) during the mid 20th century .

Just saw this on IMDb in reference to David Fincher's new movie, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' with Brad Pitt.

"Filmmakers worked closely with Levi's to obtain clothing items from their Levi's Vintage Clothing collection to authenticate various time periods captured throughout the film."