Levi's Vintage Clothing

thanks gents got the idea i may use a plastic hanger instead of wood just before they are hung to dry. with all the bottons done and use another hanger to hang the denim with has clip on it.

thanks once again guy appreciate the help and knowledge.

2 hours ago, SF2Turbo said:

thanks gents got the idea i may use a plastic hanger instead of wood just before they are hung to dry. with all the bottons done and use another hanger to hang the denim with has clip on it.

thanks once again guy appreciate the help and knowledge.

I think a plastic hanger won't be strong enough.

I normally spin my jeans as normal; then I have a piece of old plywood I keep for the task. If, say, you're a 32 waist you'd need a piece about 15.5 inches wide, or else with a slot in it at 15.5 inches, so as the jeans dry, the waist stays at circa 32.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, Paul T said:

I think a plastic hanger won't be strong enough.

I normally spin my jeans as normal; then I have a piece of old plywood I keep for the task. If, say, you're a 32 waist you'd need a piece about 15.5 inches wide, or else with a slot in it at 15.5 inches, so as the jeans dry, the waist stays at circa 32.

Hope it is it’s is a tough plastic hanger will bend a little

One final look at my 501 -1966 raw before I soak them. I’ll be praying for the next 30 hours they don’t over shrink in the waist. I have left it in the back garden to hang dry the weather will be dry for the next 2 days in London but still a little cold outside. I am also sure with wear I will get back one inch which is the minimum I need back but would like to get back 1.5 inch. 

7106945D-E2E2-4CDC-9387-F587ECDF4069.jpeg

10 minutes ago, 501XX4EVER said:

May God have mercy on your jeans.

haha thanks.

My warehouse lot 900 shrank like 2 inches i manages to get back just over an inch making them wearable but the problem became the thighs becoming unbearable and overly snug and rough texture did not help. the cone denim im hoping does not become rough. and the thighs looked much wider then the  warehouse lot 900 so my only concern is the waist.. i can afford to lose 2 full inches in length but hoping there is some left for at least a single cuff. to show other denim geeks like me the selvage details. will def post fit pics after a week or two of wear.

3 minutes ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

@SF2Turbo my 66' stretched back to raw pretty quickly, if they fit in the waist raw they will get back to that point with wear. 

Thanks they fit more than good raw with like a little extra room but only a little. i normally wear 31 waist for my every day 501( not lvc.) so good to know thanks. i did size 1 up and thanks god i did, because i was considering buying the waist 31 also which i could also button up but were overly snug.

54 minutes ago, Ciabatta said:

Man I would just size up tbh. Sounds like a headache. 

I did but only sized up 1. my normal size if one wash denim is size 31 for these LVC i went with 32 in the waist. I also tried the 1947 version in the waist 32 but those fit way more snug around the crotch area. i was also digging the squarer back pockets and the subtle taper they have.

38 minutes ago, Paul T said:

they're generously sized around the seat and thighs, I don't downsize with many jeans but found the 55 and 66 worked brilliantly.

i certainly didn't downsize so i should be fine. If it worked for you after down sizing it;s safe to say i am all good. i have also got Edwin ed75 and those are waist 30 and have stretch by atleast an inch to the point i'm almost in need of a belt now, not that i don't have belts but i like denim without belts.

Just hoping for the perfect amount of stretch to get back to similar waist to when they were raw so they don't start sagging. i hate sagging jeans that require you to keep pulling up the denim. which is the case now with my Edwins ed75.

3 hours ago, SF2Turbo said:

One final look at my 501 -1966 raw before I soak them. I’ll be praying for the next 30 hours they don’t over shrink in the waist. I have left it in the back garden to hang dry the weather will be dry for the next 2 days in London but still a little cold outside. I am also sure with wear I will get back one inch which is the minimum I need back but would like to get back 1.5 inch. 

Don't worry. There's no reason you should expect to get only 1 inch back with wear. I've never had that little stretch in any pair of jeans. My '66s stretched about 1.5 inches, and that's worn loosely, with a nice and relaxed fit. With tight 501s, I have experienced up to 3.5" of permanent stretch from wearing wet after a soak/wash. I would say the "average" stretch on a regular fitting pair of 501s would be about 2 to 2.5 inches of stretch. And the '66s have such generous thighs in relation to the waist, that they should be no problem at all.

If you let them dry first, then expect the stretch to take a few weeks. If you wear them wet till they are dry, most of it will happen that day.

If the number on the back of the button reads 555 (I think it does but can’t see clearly) then they were made at the Valencia St factory in San Francisco and are probably around 20 years old. I’m not sure if they’re early LVC or part of a pre-LVC range - Capital E or similar but another, more knowledgeable poster should be able to confirm.

2 hours ago, alpharikk said:

Got a pair from levis, but dont know is a vintage piece or no, anyone can help? Here's the photos detail

20190406_173651.jpg

They look legit alright, although the extra care tag is a bit disconcerting, maybe they did that for the export models??? Anyway all the details are the same as my "555" era 1955 cut, these ones seem to be from December 1998.

Those have surely been tapered, haven't they?

I've never seen a fake as good as this, but that extra tag looks strange. I'd want to see the underside of the main tag. This is my old 555 55 98 pair. Plus the top side of my old 201 555 from 2000.

55 555 tag.jpg

Edited by Paul T

6 minutes ago, Paul T said:

I've never seen a fake as good as this, but that extra tag looks strange. I'd want to see the underside of the main tag. This is my old 98 pair.

I've seen the extra tag on shirts from the "555" era and I think jackets too, but never on jeans. I thought they looked a bit "thin" as well but it could be the photo's or the fact that they are quite a "long" pair, I'd guess the shrunk to around 31"-32" waist and around a 37"-38" leg.

Ah, ok, thanks for that info. I'd be pretty certain they're legit in that case (it could be an extra export tag). Maybe that apparent taper is because they're so long. The hems look right. 2-horse patch looks good, too

Here's the top side of the tag, my old 555 201 from 2000. PLus a 98 2-horse tag

201 2000 555 tag.jpg

2horsetag.jpg

Edited by Paul T

I think if they were tapered it was an amazing job as it would look like they did it from the inseam rather than the outseam??? as the selvedge part looks like it hasn't been touched??? I'm guessing it's harder to do it from the inseam???

I think what's odd about the extra tag is it looks like it's duplicating the information that's usually on the rear of the "main" tag, which would seem a bit pointless as it's also in English, so you have the same information twice???, and it looks a good bit different and longer to the other "extra" tags I've seen.

So in summing up, with fakes like that, who needs originals.:D:D:D

And @Paul T, if you're up for a bit more "653" nonsense, I spotted a pair on ebay that were quite interesting regarding coin pockets.:o:o:o

5 hours ago, Paul T said:

I've never seen a fake as good as this, but that extra tag looks strange. I'd want to see the underside of the main tag. This is my old 555 55 98 pair. Plus the top side of my old 201 555 from 2000.

55 555 tag.jpg

Nah, still the original cut. He just fold it to look like tapered jeans I think :D sorry cant give another pict for an extra tag. Still didn't buy it haha

update Yes great news tried the 501 1966 on after soak and turns out the waist shrank so little it came back within 20 mins of wear the hanger i used between the waist whilst hung dry seems to have done the trick. they fit perfectly very relaxed fit but still fit nicely. i anticipated the legs width to shrink a bit more but still happy that i know there is zero chance of this pair becoming small. and the denim feels smooth on the skin.

My first LVC 501 and it's a success, Happy days now only need a good sunny day to do some fit pics.:biggrin: