Levi's Vintage Clothing

Hey guys as promised photos of the 503b-XX.

I don't really know much about them. The fit is a little looser round the leg than I realised. I may decide to sell not sure yet.

D94B27A7-FF5B-4099-A4CC-11A68ECA2FCD-438-000000231B87BA52.jpg

DE4886BF-1B55-4024-924A-15EF4E4B78FF-438-00000023230ECC18.jpg

99BB37E3-2DD4-48C7-9EC2-C805972A6784-515-0000002A672DD0AD.jpg

8D0C7413-45FD-4938-BB81-21D384B1A4A7-515-0000002A798C3A4B.jpg

B0D1A807-4DAD-499F-9B55-7DC5E2A43453-515-0000002A7DC896CF.jpg

45F6F211-1BB9-425A-8B30-AB81CCC074B5-515-0000002A81AA4202.jpg

B8268070-A50D-4EE5-B655-E83FE8A6D720-515-0000002A86874C6F.jpg

65090703-2FCA-4B7C-9B51-C37E2AF409FA-515-0000002A8B6DA61B.jpg

97DEE635-FAE0-4736-A32F-2730817E4A59-515-0000002A9025724E.jpg

Thanks

I am not sure where to post this, or where to find the answer, but here goes...

I am interested in buying 501 1947 XX and I noticed that there are two versions out there; raw and rough rinse. Tje description of the rough rinse says that its been washed once, and that the details are the same as the raw. However, the price difference is significant to point to other differences as well. Can someone help me by answering, or pointing me in the direction of an answer already out there that helps me to decide which I should go for?

Many thanks,

John

Rough Rinse are made in Turkey (with Cone fabric). Raw models are made in the US. They often have a different shape/sizing, too. Most Rough Rinse also have a kind of one-wash tint - which I personally don't like. But current one-wash models are much nicer.

Personally, I would pay the extra for the raw models.

^ it's not an LVC model, as the cinch is in the wrong place (too low down) and those pockets seem barracked with no rivets (hidden or visible). They seem like a generic made in USA 'vintage buckleback' pair with a aper patch, similar to those sold by Aeroleather until fairly recently for about £70 or similar.

Having just seen the latest picture of the label, I think they're a 542 model. I have some 541s, which I bought raw in 1999 - they were a shrink-to-fit, non-selvage pair of cinchbacks, with red tab, one back pocket with exposed rivets and paper patch, although they were made in Europe.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

After having done more research, I realised that the rough rinse jeans are not made in the US, but for everything else it seems they are the same. Are there any other differences? And if they are not made in the US, is this important for the use of the jeans?

(whoops, I have jsut realised that others have already responded with this information)

Thanks for the responses, John

Edited by jpmort

After having done more research, I realised that the rough rinse jeans are not made in the US, but for everything else it seems they are the same. Are there any other differences? And if they are not made in the US, is this important for the use of the jeans?

(whoops, I have jsut realised that others have already responded with this information)

Thanks for the responses, John

As we just mentioned, they're made in Turkey, and the sizing and cut differ, on some models, from the dry jeans. Plus, as we just mentioned, they're given a kind of orange brown wash, which gives them a colour cast.

They're also coated with a kind of resin, which is designed to make them crock a little more quickly. The resin will make the indigo come off in slightly bigger chunks, so will show wear sooner. I've never seen them worn in to know how well it works.

P1040526.jpg

P1040527.jpg

P1040529.jpg

P1040534.jpg

P1040536.jpg

P1040538.jpg

P1040539.jpg

P1040541.jpg

P1040544.jpg

P1040545.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Found this in my dad's garage. Can someone please help to indentify it?

Thanks in advance!

I think these are Thai fake 501. Quite nice. There is a Levi's Japan model that's very similar, I'm pretty certain there wasn't a US-made version, hence this is likely a Thai knock off of the Japanese model.

So, I'm relatively new to LVC and I chose to buy a pair of LVC 1954 501XX (Loved one), available here http://www.endclothing.co.uk/brands/levi-s-vintage/levi-s-vintage-1954-501-jeans.html

I was doing some research and found they shrink to fit, so I sized 2" waist. If the waist feels sorta oversized, what should I do to shrink em before I wear them regularly? Or should I wear and then wash?

Did you read the sizing information from endclothing, saying that these jeans are already washed and wouldn't really shrink?

For some reason I skipped that, just read the measurements. Ya, they are pre-shrunk...forget what I posted earlier.

Edited by slope

So, Paul, are you sure that the rough rinse models use Cone denim? I have a pair of '66s that have a greencast weft but are made in Turkey. It would make me like them better knowing they're made of domestic fabric.

Most, if not all of them have US Cone fabric. The last time I checked, they were piece-dyed, rather than having a greencast weft (the pockets are dyed too).

The current rinsed models don't have the yellow/greencast any longer.

^ it's not an LVC model, as the cinch is in the wrong place (too low down) and those pockets seem barracked with no rivets (hidden or visible). They seem like a generic made in USA 'vintage buckleback' pair with a aper patch, similar to those sold by Aeroleather until fairly recently for about £70 or similar.

Having just seen the latest picture of the label, I think they're a 542 model. I have some 541s, which I bought raw in 1999 - they were a shrink-to-fit, non-selvage pair of cinchbacks, with red tab, one back pocket with exposed rivets and paper patch, although they were made in Europe.

Maynard might be right about these; although the fact they're selvage suggests to me they're Thai, not American. The 541/542 that I've seen are non-selvage and have the cinch in the right place. There was an early Levi's Japan "reissue" of a 701, with the cinch in the wrong place - this pair looks essentially the same. The other detailing on these looks correct (as in, not period accurate, but like 1990s regular Levi's.)

Edited by Paul T

Anybody any experience of the recent LVC 505 1967 rigid?? The made in Turkey version. Have a pair of the made in USA ones in 34x34 which are several yrs old and a bit tight on the waist. Just ordered 36x34 from Tres Bien and now stressing in case they are going to be huge!! Too good a price to pass up though!

This might seem like a stupid question but I am new to Levi's!

Basically I see different versions of the 501 like the 1966 or 1937 etc etc.

I just want to know if the 501 is one cut and one cut only or if the measurements do actually change from type to type? So like I hear people saying "it's like 1966 501" or "it's the same as a 1937 501" suggesting that they're different jeans etc....if this is true and they do measure differently and fit differently how can they still be called a 501?!

Really sorry if that seems stupid.

Sorta like a 69 firebird and 94 firebird, are both firebirds. Like car models change, levis has changed the pattern of the 501 over the years to reflect changes in fashion. And yes, each model lvc makes measures and fits differently.

This might seem like a stupid question but I am new to Levi's!

Basically I see different versions of the 501 like the 1966 or 1937 etc etc.

I just want to know if the 501 is one cut and one cut only or if the measurements do actually change from type to type? So like I hear people saying "it's like 1966 501" or "it's the same as a 1937 501" suggesting that they're different jeans etc....if this is true and they do measure differently and fit differently how can they still be called a 501?!

Really sorry if that seems stupid.

Not a silly question at all.

The 501 changed right through its lifetime: the very first jeans had just one back pocket, and were worn with suspenders and a cinch (to tighten the waistband). Over the years, the jeans got mostly narrower, the cinch was dropped, and the 501 assumed a classic shape around 1947. From them on the changes were more minor.

Maynard has already linked this guide to the basic models: http://supertalk.sup...a-visual-guide/

This has measurements of the various models of LVC jeans (which replicate the originals, reasonably accurately) at the waist, seat, the thighs, hem opening etc. You can see how different they all are.

there's another version, with more photos but also some gaps (a work in progress) here: http://www.trynka.ne...501_Nevada.html

post again if you have more questions.

Edited by Paul T

Think of the 501 as if it were a Ford Mustang. Today's Mustang looks a lot different from it's inception. There were some really cool models along the way, and some that aren't destined to be classics. They were all Mustangs though. It not only the appearance that makes a model, but the spirit as well.

Not a silly question at all.

The 501 changed right through its lifetime: the very first jeans had just one back pocket, and were worn with suspenders and a cinch (to tighten the waistband). Over the years, the jeans got mostly narrower, the cinch was dropped, and the 501 assumed a classic shape around 1947. From them on the changes were more minor.

Maynard has already linked this guide to the basic models: http://supertalk.sup...a-visual-guide/

This has measurements of the various models of LVC jeans (which replicate the originals, reasonably accurately) at the waist, seat, the thighs, hem opening etc. You can see how different they all are.

there's another version, with more photos but also some gaps (a work in progress) here: http://www.trynka.ne...501_Nevada.html

post again if you have more questions.

Thanks! I've read the second link you have posted and was very useful. Those 47's look....I mean I don't even know how awesome they look!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good fit. Generally don't like '66s cuffed, but looks good. Did you add the alteration at the waist? Could swear there was a washed version with a customization like that. Untuck the stripe tee. ;-)

Scrolled through the rest of the blog, and got the answer to my question, those are the rinsed/customized version. Nice pick up!