Levi's Vintage Clothing

Thanks Paul, I do think you're the only one on here that's old enough to have heard them all first time around! However, your info about Hideout is spot on - miscellaneous models and sizes for £120, although if you're nice to Tony the owner, he may give you a £10 discount...

Finally, and please be nice here mods, it's Friday afternoon wind-down time (in the UK anyway). Here are the top 10 Edinburgh Festival jokes (courtesy of BBC online):

1) Nick Helm: "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

2) Tim Vine: "Crime in multi-storey car parks. That is wrong on so many different levels."

3) Hannibal Buress: "People say 'I'm taking it one day at a time'. You know what? So is everybody. That's how time works."

4) Tim Key: "Drive-Thru McDonalds was more expensive than I thought... once you've hired the car..."

5) Matt Kirshen: "I was playing chess with my friend and he said, 'Let's make this interesting'. So we stopped playing chess."

6) Sarah Millican: "My mother told me, you don't have to put anything in your mouth you don't want to. Then she made me eat broccoli, which felt like double standards."

7) Alan Sharp: "I was in a band which we called The Prevention, because we hoped people would say we were better than The Cure."

8) Mark Watson: "Someone asked me recently - what would I rather give up, food or sex. Neither! I'm not falling for that one again, wife."

9) Andrew Lawrence: "I admire these phone hackers. I think they have a lot of patience. I can't even be bothered to check my OWN voicemails."

10) DeAnne Smith: "My friend died doing what he loved ... Heroin."

:D

cheers for the shout on the hideout. will swing by that way next time i'm in london.

killer b - all the decent sizes are gone in the sand 1901s at ln-cc, the online shop doesn't reflect actual stock. They only have tagged 33s and 34s left and they're apparently 3" oversized, according to the helpful ln-cc lady I spoke to. I even sent her the BiG guidelines to help her measure the waist accurately! Looks like my "wait and they'll be reduced further" tactic has backfired. Ho hum...

what is the best way to get an authentic looking hem on my 66? chain stitch of course, but i seem to remember there's a rolling technique and thread color of course (anyone know the exact yellow too btw?).. i'm asking cuz my usual spot in paris is closed and so i swung by 45rpm who's got a vintage union in the basement, but they didn't seem to know much about levi's techniques...

Is it just me or did they change the pocket shape of the 47 501 quite a bit for the new season? They look more squarish and huge - but that could be because of this particular size.

http://www.ln-cc.com/levis-vintage-clothing/levis-vintage-clothing-mens-1947-501-jeans-rigid/invt/lvc010028den/

absolutely true! i've got 2 pairs of 4170 47's and the pockets are small and the fit is the familiar 47 fit. i bought a pair of new 47's from cloudshift and the pockets are bigger. also seems to be a little more room in the thighs. they have definately changed the pockets and i think the cut also. i like them fine btw, thanks cloudshift.

what is the best way to get an authentic looking hem on my 66? chain stitch of course, but i seem to remember there's a rolling technique and thread color of course (anyone know the exact yellow too btw?).. i'm asking cuz my usual spot in paris is closed and so i swung by 45rpm who's got a vintage union in the basement, but they didn't seem to know much about levi's techniques...

They have the Union Special 43200G, so it should come out pretty much right. Some people have said that you need to pull the hem around a bit to get roping, but the vintage jeans often have them done pretty much straight, with the seams lined up (that's what Roy Slaper does). The most important part of the look is that the hems are rolled, not folded.

HEre's an original hem from 67 or so, with the seam offset by maybe 3 or 4mm.

turnup.jpg

thanks paul, i only had a quick glance at their union machine but it really didn't look like a 43200G, at least from what google pulls up of it! it seems like theirs is a more modern machine, i'll swing by there tomorrow and get a closer look.. btw google on the 43200G came up with this neat vid:

killer b - all the decent sizes are gone in the sand 1901s at ln-cc, the online shop doesn't reflect actual stock. They only have tagged 33s and 34s left and they're apparently 3" oversized, according to the helpful ln-cc lady I spoke to. I even sent her the BiG guidelines to help her measure the waist accurately! Looks like my "wait and they'll be reduced further" tactic has backfired. Ho hum...

I may be interested in a pair of these, are you sure the ones on http://www.ln-cc.com/levis-vintage-clothing/levis-vintage-clothing-1901-501-jeans-dry-sand/invt/lvc010007den/ are oversize? For some strange reason they are mentioning the 'hem' size? You know if they're STF? Site says so but then again, they also suggest they are distressed...

Washed my 66's in the machine yesterday..

Gonna have to start doing this more often now.

Looking great! Been bumming around the house in my '66s this weekend, and loving them more and more. They're just starting the get the littlest bit of wear showing through, and i like what I'm seeing. When raw, the denim reminded me of my 55s, but now the texture/feel of them and the wear is reminding me of my 44s from a few years ago. I think the denim used in the 66s is a type that's only going to get better with regular washes rather than being forced into an extremely contrasty fade.

blimey, those are indeed 1950s, or early 60s, instinct tells me the latter, could tell more by looking at inside of backpocket rivets. It also shows how the stitching color varies a lot over the same period, in that this has no lemon colour on the 'parts' pieces. It's great to see the 'every garment guaranteed' patch in such perfect condition.

these are a real royal blue colour, my old early 60s pair were very black, but it's likely they would darken up with a proper soak. I would love to wear these in... I would definitely wear them and not sell them. When I've seen a bunch of 555 55 repros around, I remember commenting that some of them were very blue and stripy (others looked very different), of course I was wrong, they looked almost identical to these.

Note also, that these are not very hairy - tended to be later 60s and 70s that were.

Looking great! Been bumming around the house in my '66s this weekend, and loving them more and more. They're just starting the get the littlest bit of wear showing through, and i like what I'm seeing. When raw, the denim reminded me of my 55s, but now the texture/feel of them and the wear is reminding me of my 44s from a few years ago. I think the denim used in the 66s is a type that's only going to get better with regular washes rather than being forced into an extremely contrasty fade.

I agree, mine have a sort of metallic blue tint to them in natural light, I'm gonna wash them now about every two weeks to see if I can get any little crinkle fades going.

Blimey, those are epic!

Those are the later internal rivets, and you have the offset beltloop - so late 50s or early 60s. I have an old collector friend with a very similar pair, especially the stitching, if I have a chance I'll ask hm what year.

V valuable of course.