Levi's Vintage Clothing

1937 owners,

How do your 37s actual measurements compare to tag size?

I'm interested in a pair and have seen some W34/L34s that are apparently true to tag size. I need a 32 waist after shrinkage so this would be good.

I just want to check other owners' experiences first.

Thanks

I buy 34/34 for all LVC , 1937 is not TTS but one inch bigger then actual (BIG method) .

I am looking one more LVC 1937 34/34 , can you tell me where I can get it.

How does the 1927 fit compared to a 1933, 1937 or 1890? Paul T's guide says its like a 1901 but having not owned these either I'm in need of help!

My guess - altho I've only seen the 27 not owned it

1933 - widest, straight legs, sizes down well

1890 - narrower, tapered legs, doesn't size down too well

1937 - narrower than 33 but with straight legs, sizes down best

1927 - I think it's slightly narrower than the 33 and looks v slightly tapered.

also, for reference, 1915 (and 1901) have straighter legs, not unlike the 37, and size down beautifully.

Check the guide for sizing details, many of these are made oversize.

My fave fabric on these (subjective): 1915, 1901, 1937

Airfrog owns the 27 I believe and will have more info

My guess - altho I've only seen the 27 not owned it

1933 - widest, straight legs, sizes down well

1890 - narrower, tapered legs, doesn't size down too well

1937 - narrower than 33 but with straight legs, sizes down best

1927 - I think it's slightly narrower than the 33 and looks v slightly tapered.

also, for reference, 1915 (and 1901) have straighter legs, not unlike the 37, and size down beautifully.

Check the guide for sizing details, many of these are made oversize.

My fave fabric on these (subjective): 1915, 1901, 1937

Airfrog owns the 27 I believe and will have more info

Thanks Paul.

how i would fix this is i would take it to a tailor and have some scrap cloth put behind the hole and stitched over with heavy flat military type stitching. it should make a comfortable and durable repair and works well.

1937 owners,

How do your 37s actual measurements compare to tag size?

I'm interested in a pair and have seen some W34/L34s that are apparently true to tag size. I need a 32 waist after shrinkage so this would be good.

I just want to check other owners' experiences first.

Thanks

My 1937s are 643s from late 2007. Don't know that they've changed much since then. Bought a 38x34. Cultizm advertised them as true to size, and they are slimmer in the waist than all my other size 38 LVC (44s, 55s, 66s), but I never checked the waist. Going by how the waist fits, and has stretched, I'd say they were originally 38" or 39" when raw.

It's hot today, and I've been working outside, so I've got my 37s on. Took a couple quick pix. If you need your jeans to finish at 32" at the waist, I'd probably go with a size 32 since they're a pretty full cut jean.

dsc00854tm.jpg

By setterman at 2011-06-05

dsc00855p.jpg

By Setterman at 2011-06-05

Anyone have any thoughts on this jacket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250696952358

Thinking about it, wondering if anyone might have any input.

Thanks much!

i had a 555 one size 48, but sold it because i had too many jackets in general and too many denim jackets. i liked mine but it ran a little big. (this doesn't seem to based on the measurements) and being sanforized you can expect little in the way of shrinkage. this style is also cut a little long in the body for my tastes. most people would probably like that but i'm accustomed to vintage cut jackets that stop at the waistline. it's a 643 & made in USA so that's a plus. price is decent but no bargain. it really depends on if you want that style. i personally prefer the 506 & 507 and if i wanted a 60's style sanforized jacket i'd get a real vintage 101j as to me they are styled better and can be had for a lot less money and are more authentic.

i had a 555 one size 48, but sold it because i had too many jackets in general and too many denim jackets. i liked mine but it ran a little big. (this doesn't seem to based on the measurements) and being sanforized you can expect little in the way of shrinkage. this style is also cut a little long in the body for my tastes. most people would probably like that but i'm accustomed to vintage cut jackets that stop at the waistline. it's a 643 & made in USA so that's a plus. price is decent but no bargain. it really depends on if you want that style. i personally prefer the 506 & 507 and if i wanted a 60's style sanforized jacket i'd get a real vintage 101j as to me they are styled better and can be had for a lot less money and are more authentic.

Thanks for the info!

Still doing some looking around. Definitely like the type III jacket. If you had to guess on this one, when do you think it was made? Any way to tell that based on the photos? I couldn't find out, and the person selling it didn't know either.

With a jacket like this, would you recommend an initial soak? Based on the measurements, I'm thinking this jacket would fit pretty good as is (I'm 6'2", ~215 lbs)... I fear it might be too small with much shrinkage (though I guess it's sanforized, so perhaps that shouldn't be much of a concern).

Anyway, thanks much for the help! Much appreciated!

When I arrived back from Stonehenge (!) on Saturday, I found I'd got an email inviting me to an LVC sample sale today. It started at 8am, I managed to get there around 8.30.

One of the reasons this was so intriguing is that often you get samples which don't make it into production. I emailed a couple of people I knew were LVC junkies who had to have every rtare item (ie roy6)... and sure enough, there were some real rarities there.

I picked up several of roy's requests, got a pair of Lot 66 overalls for me - but also picked up three pairs of raw chinos, shown below. Roy has first dibs on these, but I thought I'd just buy the buggers for you people here. They are all sample size, which is 32/32. I will pass them all on for cost.

First, Roy's nuggets.

{Edit}. 1920s dungarees (which were mistakenly labelled as Balloon in the original post.) These never made production.

I love the plain-ness of these. With the dungaree pockets, 2x1 denim and simple cinch, they're essentialy identical to wartime POW pants. A real shame they never made it to production.

Balloonfront.jpg

balloonback.jpg

And, as I'm th eonly person here to own a pair, here for reference are the Lot 66. These are customised from bib overalls. There was a less heavyduty wash which was superb, this is the Cannery Row, which is a bit less subtle. But for around $50, I like these a hell of a lot, thin denim for the beach, with lots of pockets and detailing. I can wear them with flip flops...

lot66-1.jpg

Maybe I got carried away, but this is the only time these will ever be available, so I got all the raw chinos they had, to pass on to LVC freaks - in mustard, stone and 2x1 denim.

Mustard chinos. Again, these are samples, which never made it into full production. Like all samples, they are nominally 32-32.

mustardfront.jpg

mustardback.jpg

mustarddetail.jpg

Stone Chinos.

stonefront.jpg

stoneback.jpg

stonedetail.jpg

And now the highlight - 1920s Balloon pants (edit: these were mis-labelled as Chinos in the original post) I believe these were in the look book too, there's a fella wearing them with the short-sleeved Henley here

denimfront.jpg

denimfrontdetail.jpg

These carry a generic levi's patch, but they were made for LVC. HIgh-waisted, in a beautiful 2x1 denim.

denimback.jpg

denimbuttons.jpg

Finally, my two errors. I went mainly in search of a Henley, and found how difficult these are to size.

Firstly, the woolen Henley T. Check out the little knitted details.

This is 38 armpit to armpit- a tiny bit big for me, I reckon these should be worn reasonably trim.

henleymain.jpg

henley3.jpg

henley2.jpg

And then this closed top, linen (?) undershirt. Excellent fabric, looks like a linen with calendering that gives it a sheen, plus distressing. Again, lovely detailing. It's 36 armpit to armpit, but being closed top it's relatively unforgiving, so best viewed as a small. I don't know if this is part of the range, or just a sample.

linenshirt1.jpg

linendetail2.jpg

I will post these in the supermarket, but PM me if you like them, I'd rather pass em on to an LVC regular...

Man. Those denim chinos are beautiful. What era are they supposed to reproduce? I could see them being the bottoms in a lovely 40's style casual fit.

If you check the look book, there is a fit pic - altho they seem to be labelled as 20s Balloon pants for some reason.

For this reason, I'm holding both the Ballon pants (with dungaree pockets) and these for roy6, who asked me to look out for a pair, but of course PM if you're interested.

Linen shirt has just gone, rayw44 has first dibs on the woolen Henley.

If you check the look book, there is a fit pic - altho they seem to be labelled as 20s Balloon pants for some reason.

The Rin Tanaka book called "King of Vintage" shows some chino type pants in denim with a rectangular cloth tag and below it what looks like a paper tag that has a depiction of a hot air balloon superimposed with the text "LEVI BALLOONS" (page 73).

I wish I wore a sample size. Would have loved to have the Henley.

Those denim chinos are the balloon pants, lacking the balloon label, which looks to be a detachable tag:

5717200427_c0d3300c35_o.jpg

denimback.jpg

P.S. If anyone is wondering how I am going to repay Paul for his incredible generosity, I'll let you know when I figure that out.

We're looking good.

Roy is taking his stash, two lots of pants (balloon and that first mystery pair), plus a Sunset Jacket.

Linen shirt gone,had emails re the first Henly and Stone chinos but you can PM in case they fall thru, mustard chino sample still to play for.

There's a sunset jacket too?

Any chance of pics, or is roy keeping that secret...

sunset.jpg

Henley has gone to ray, linen to killer b, and a huge stash to roy6. I love a man who can resist everything but temptation. INterest on the stone and mustard chinos, but PM me if you want next dibs. Theyre' both nominally 32 32, I believe the waist is more like 33, leg is just under 32. Again, I'm turning these around for cost, so it's really appreciated if people follow up with payment so others don't miss out.

I'm already feeling jealous of the balloon pants and the mystery dungarees, but need to try and convince myself I have some selfcontrol.