Levi's Vintage Clothing

No matter how many times I look at the 1937 "201" I cringe when I see it again: the bizarre buckle (Did Levi's ever use a buckle like that?), the way the cinch crowds the patch, and the patch which looks way too thick in pictures (maybe they are deceptive). And I am ignoring the fact that a "201" should have a cloth patch instead of a leather one. They still look like fakes to me. I don't care if there is a cult for them, and the argument that they are 555 is not enough for me. I am sure there was lots of polyester wear made in the 1970s at Valencia Street too, but I don't want to own any.

No matter how many times I look at the 1937 "201" I cringe when I see it again: the bizarre buckle (Did Levi's ever use a buckle like that?), the way the cinch crowds the patch, and the patch which looks way too thick in pictures (maybe they are deceptive). And I am ignoring the fact that a "201" should have a cloth patch instead of a leather one. They still look like fakes to me. I don't care if there is a cult for them, and the argument that they are 555 is not enough for me. I am sure there was lots of polyester wear made in the 1970s at Valencia Street too, but I don't want to own any.

What he said :D

Now, I can understand that there's a cult following, people will follow the silliest things...but that price is just daft for a dog's dinner pair of "the jeans that never existed" repro's

Those 201's went WAY to high for that jean.

This thread is a few years old now, and we've always discussed how the '201' is an interesting historical anomaly. As mentioned before, Eric Clapton used to collect them. But this is a silly price.

When I sold my last pair of 1947, and a pair of 20s 201, they both went to Malaysia. I wonder if that market is driving up prices in general.

Anyone know the leg opening of a size 28 1947?

How much will a hem at 7.75 shrink up?

Measurements seem pretty variable throughout the online stores so I'm going by the seller.

From my experience, the hem will shrink about 0,25 inch after first hot soak.

So the result will be 7,5.

I have, Leonard. They do look good sized down a little, but they reach a point where you can get the waist fastened, but thighs are so tight it's had to walk up stairs. I could see it working if your thighs were especially thin relative to your waist.

Otherwise you may get a really early crotch-blow-out.

I sized down on Skull 5010xx's a while back and I couldn't button them up when I first got them. They ended up the best fitting jeans I owned. And they're still going strong after all these years, cotton threads and all.

My size 30 1955s are literal sacks on me, not a bad look at all, I just realize I'm rather trim.

And looking at iconic denim pics thread, I realize that I like the crazy sized down look a lot. Here's hoping. I've never had problems with crotch blow outs, even in the tightest of jeans.

Well, I'm not thinking Wild Ones but rather Ramones, Pete Townshend, Sticky Fingers Joe Dallesandro, I'm going for Battle of the Bulge, hah.

At least in the case of the Ramones, I'm pretty sure they're wearing Levis 606 Super Slims. Pretty sure LVC did a copy of that model a few years ago, and you might be able to find a pair on ebay. If that's the look you're going for, I think you'd probably be more pleased with the results starting with that model, or something similar from Japan.

If you're wanting to go with a 1947, BiG still has the Sugar Cane 1947 one wash on clearance for $137. Only size remaining is 28. If your size 30 LVC 55s are big on you, the Canes should be just right.

Well, I'm not thinking Wild Ones but rather Ramones, Pete Townshend, Sticky Fingers Joe Dallesandro, I'm going for Battle of the Bulge, hah.

I'd suggest downzigin the 66 - they're a bit more tapered - for a Dallesandro special. I reckon you could go a full size down on those compared to the 47.Altho you'd need to find a pair in 28 I guess.

SuFU needs you to perform this experiment!

I'm excited to see these. I sized my '47s from 2006 true to size, and they're a perfect early skinhead fit. I have a pair sized down to keep for my collection. They're nearly impossible to button, but not much slimmer in the legs. Is LVC still undersizing that cut like they used to?