Levi's Vintage Clothing

Just measured my '44 and '55 LVC 501s. Both are size 38x34, and both measure 9.25" at the leg opening. So, if someone has some in a smaller size to compare, you'll have your answer. I'm not suprised that a size 32 and 34 1915s with the same inseam would have the same leg opening, but I bet a size 36 or 38 would have a bigger opening.

I just picked up a pair of LVC 501xx 47's for $115 CAD on sale from $225. I'm not familiar with the pricing of these but it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Anyone care to confirm/deny this assesment?

They are soaking as we speak. Pretty excited.

thats definitely a good deal you got there. hope you enjoy them.

Just measured my '44 and '55 LVC 501s. Both are size 38x34, and both measure 9.25" at the leg opening. So, if someone has some in a smaller size to compare, you'll have your answer. I'm not suprised that a size 32 and 34 1915s with the same inseam would have the same leg opening, but I bet a size 36 or 38 would have a bigger opening.

well, lets hope someone else chimes in with a pair.

I just dont understand how you can adjust the thighs, front rise, back rise, and waist with out adjusting the hem - especially when going up 2 sizes. I think there should be at least 1/4" from 32-34. this is what I'm actually seeing in the japanese jeans listed on BiG.

edit: I'm making a big deal about this, i know. if someone wants me to shut up just tell me.

thats definitely a good deal you got there. hope you enjoy them.

well, lets hope someone else chimes in with a pair.

I just dont understand how you can adjust the thighs, front rise, back rise, and waist with out adjusting the hem - especially when going up 2 sizes. I think there should be at least 1/4" from 32-34. this is what I'm actually seeing in the japanese jeans listed on BiG.

edit: I'm making a big deal about this, i know. if someone wants me to shut up just tell me.

Erk, it makes sense & you are right, at least that is what the Context sizing chart for the 55's seems to indicate:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1477

Erk, it makes sense & you are right, at least that is what the Context sizing chart for the 55's seems to indicate:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1477

ok, so either joe's measurements are off - or the 1915 cut is fudged. thanks for the link.

anyone got any 1915s bigger than tagged 32?

edit: also, do these new high prices represent the predicted price increase that was to follow the creation of the XX group? or is this just what retailers are doin? I've noticed cultizms prices are about the same, maybe a little bit more expensive then the past. Either way $250 for a pair of 1955s is too much for me. even with shipping cultizm has them (context) beat. Blackbirds prices are a lot better, are definitely an option for me, seeing as how you can return things...

but then again, I haven't seen any of the new and improved elements of the 2010 range.

:)

A big shout-out to my buddy ThinFinn for helping me find these!

LVC44a.jpg

arcs.jpg

Gonna have some airy comfort this summer!

Where'd you purchase these 44's? I was planning on buying from aeroleather because they said they still have the pink arcs. Is that where you bought from, too?

Thanks!

Erk

The cut on the 1915's is fudged, as is the pocket shapes, suspender button spacings..etc. (same as the 17's and 27's).

It's only the denim which are their saving grace.

I'm suprised about the hem widths as my 33's from 2004 are a quarter of an inch difference between the 36/36 and the 38/36. Same as my 555 55's size 34/40 and 36/40 from 1998.

after hot washing my '66 it seems almost all the starch/stiffness has been soaked out, would this affect the fading process? should i just wear em or should i spray a liquid starch to stiffen them up and help the creases settle in better?

NO real difference.

I personally like the crispness of starched/new jeans, so if I soak I sometimes add starch at the end; if you wear them for a while before putting on the line it does 'set' the creases somewhat. But I would reckon long-term it makes negligible difference.

Add starch if you like the feel of starched jeans, but don't bother otherwise.

Where'd you purchase these 44's? I was planning on buying from aeroleather because they said they still have the pink arcs. Is that where you bought from, too?

Thanks!

Hey - I ordered mine from volls.de

Cheers!

Just measured my '44 and '55 LVC 501s. Both are size 38x34, and both measure 9.25" at the leg opening. So, if someone has some in a smaller size to compare...

This measurement still might now answer this since the 44s I have are a pre-wash version. 44 drab wash tagged 32x34 and leg opening is 8.25"

Hey - I ordered mine from volls.de

I came across that site for the first time yesterday - they have a nice selection of LVC and the pictures are nice too!

FInally took delivery of the closed-front cotton duck jumper from this spring's season. Thanks so much to the folks who helped me out with this, it's a magnificent piece.

The detailing, in particular the attention paid to the fabric, is amazing. If you look at ROy's photo in the Cotton Duck thread, you'll see how they designed the fabric and selvage line perfectly. Everything looks spot-on comparied to the original, but for the placement of the patch. And I'll be hand-hammering those rivets tomorrow.

I think LVC deserve especial praise for these products, because they're pretty esoteric - I can't see them selling in huge numbers, but they are great flagship items and some of the best and quirkiest workwear products we've seen over the last few years, along with the best (and pricey) stuff from Mr Freedom and the Warehouse/Heller Cafe collabs.

Cottonduck0.jpg

Cottonduck1.jpgCottonduck3.jpgCottonduck2.jpgCottonduck4.jpg

And here's the original, courtesy of Roy666

A photo of an original Levi's cf duck jumper -labeled "1890s(?)"- from a '90s Japanese mag:

4586968446_5daf88008f_o.jpg

For ease of comparison:

4587011819_c55b70cd14_o.jpg

I was wondering if the label were loose on that original, and they placed it higher for the photo, but I went back and looked at that interview with Lynn Downey on A Continuous Lean, and they show the duck jacket also with the funny, high neck tag.

Paul

Nice purchase, loved the detailing when I saw it. And yes the rivets need a hammering.

I agree with you on the XX team doing a good job of the likeness to the original, and am a bit annoyed at Roy for beating me to the 'spot the Lvc error', although it matters not.

Looking forward to see how it fits/drapes, as it's a boxy/shortish shape.

Nice big pockets, and the arcs are true to the originals too.

[edit - apologies to roy, just read the ducks thread and it wasn't you].

tried to go through a few pages but nothing was mentioned. can anyone shed some light on the 67 505 sizing? is it similar to 47s ie tag size says 31 could be 30 or 32. or is that only an issue with unsanforized

LVC?

tried to go through a few pages but nothing was mentioned. can anyone shed some light on the 67 505 sizing? is it similar to 47s ie tag size says 31 could be 30 or 32. or is that only an issue with unsanforized

LVC?

Hope these help:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2194060&highlight=1967#post2194060

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2172245&highlight=1967#post2172245

Also, try searching in the Cultizm LVC Contest thread using: 1967.

FInally took delivery of the closed-front cotton duck jumper from this spring's season. Thanks so much to the folks who helped me out with this, it's a magnificent piece.

The detailing, in particular the attention paid to the fabric, is amazing. If you look at ROy's photo in the Cotton Duck thread, you'll see how they designed the fabric and selvage line perfectly. Everything looks spot-on comparied to the original, but for the placement of the patch. And I'll be hand-hammering those rivets tomorrow.

I think LVC deserve especial praise for these products, because they're pretty esoteric - I can't see them selling in huge numbers, but they are great flagship items and some of the best and quirkiest workwear products we've seen over the last few years, along with the best (and pricey) stuff from Mr Freedom and the Warehouse/Heller Cafe collabs.

Cottonduck0.jpg

Cottonduck1.jpgCottonduck3.jpgCottonduck2.jpgCottonduck4.jpg

And here's the original, courtesy of Roy666

Pretty sweet Paul!!!

I'm looking at the Duck Canvas pants but they don't make it in a size 31. Just wanted to know if I go my true size 30 if it will shrink so much I cant wear them. Should I possible go a size 32 instead.

The new cotton duck has minimal shrinkage - I"d say 3%. My 42" chest shirt has shrunk an inch, max. It was the same with the cotton duck bag. This is at one 40 degree wash.

I'd love to know entertainment's thoughts as he owns the pants (although they're the previous version of the material) but I reckon if you're a true 30, go for a 30 - and maybe even email your retailer and make sure they're made true to size!

Edit: worth pointing out that I was wrong, the duck shirt hardly shrinks, but the pants do seem to shrink in the waist - the fabric is laid differently, so it looks like the duck material shrinks more along the selvage than across it.

i think i have posted this pics before, but still. thats th one pocket version of the jumper

D00205084.jpg

That's a great old photo isn't it - doesn't get much better than that for authenticity. Hard to find photos showing such detail of early levis duck/denim

A time when nobody cared if the quality of their levis was good or bad, or whether the rivets were hammered or not, as you could just walk back into town, complain to the dry goods bloke and return them for a new pair.

:)

The new cotton duck has minimal shrinkage - I"d say 3%. My 42" chest shirt has shrunk an inch, max. It was the same with the cotton duck bag. This is at one 40 degree wash.

I'd love to know entertainment's thoughts as he owns the pants (although they're the previous version of the material) but I reckon if you're a true 30, go for a 30 - and maybe even email your retailer and make sure they're made true to size!

On the 1873 pants made from the old cotton duck, the shrinkage wasn't huge. I soaked for about two hours at 40 degrees to try to get as much shrinkage as possible. The length went from 36" to about 34.5". I didn't measure the waist right after the soak, but after five to ten wears it is now almost back to what it was. It started at about 37" measured BiG style and is now within 1/2" of that, probably closer to 1/4". The inseam shrinkage comes in at around 4%.

However, I know Dr Heech told me he got quite a bit of shrinkage in his pair. Maybe it needs the agitation to get full shrinkage.

It seems to me, the straight cut of the jumper makes a lot more sense if it's meant to be worn over another shirt. Sort of the same idea as the waist overalls being worn over another pair of pants.

Great image fardin!

i think i have posted this pics before, but still. thats th one pocket version of the jumper

D00205084.jpg

Great photo, Fardin!

Are we sure that's the same jumper? Many similarities, but the pocket shape looks very different. I love those early shirts but know little about them.

If those are Levi's pants, they must be very early, according to the suspender buttons - and they must be the XX model, with that watch-pocket positioning.

I'd post my fit pic, but I can't compete with that dude. Especially now Dr Heech has implied i"m a geek for mentioning the rivets!

Re LVC vs Japanese jeans - I would love to see more interesting Japanese jeans posted. What is find disappointing is the obsession with the same old design, again and again - how many different takes, with lovely detailing and stitching, can you possibly want on a 50s style 5 pocket pant? Mr Freedom stuff is horrendously expensive, but I do admire the way he produces more off-the-wall, quirky designs

Great photo, Fardin!

Re LVC vs Japanese jeans - I would love to see more interesting Japanese jeans posted. What is find disappointing is the obsession with the same old design, again and again - how many different takes, with lovely detailing and stitching, can you possibly want on a 50s style 5 pocket pant? Mr Freedom stuff is horrendously expensive, but I do admire the way he produces more off-the-wall, quirky designs

I totally agree. even when they do come out with an interesting 30s jean or something earlier its hard to get your hands on it. I love that LVCs products have such crazy stuff going on from so long ago. maybe not all of it is accurate, but it sure is cool.