Levi's Vintage Clothing

THanks for those, Roy (and of course I love the avatar - but shouldn't you be wearing a cotton duck smock?).

Cone have never supplied sanforized fabric to the LVC range as far as I know - but these look really close to the real '67 505 ,they've got that late 60s/70s dusty green colour exactly right as far as I can tell. Modern shape pockets, though. Good find.

@roy6,

the wash that is called "old rinsed" and had been used in 2004 for two jeans, 1966 501xx and 1966 606 super slims which I owned both, the evidence is the little stain on the left back pocket and the light whiskers on the yoke...

@Paul T, in 1967 Levi´s used black bar tacks on the back pockets, this is what made me to think that those are 1983 repros, I guess the first orange thread bar tags had been used from 1983 on(orange tabs had those on from the start of production)

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=531991#post531991

WTF's the deal, either I'm losing my mind or a post been deleted?? I believe it was Airfrog who had some real cool 201 wear pics, but I can't find. I don't think I'll ever get use to how SupFU works. B'tween the lost posts, difficult search parameters and reps that don't register, it can sometimes be a bit frustrating.

Yeah looks like some stuff got whacked. I'll repost. I'll actually try and get some new photos of my 20 201s 555 and some of my 1911 333s. I need to get some photos of my Goodwear 1939 Werber A-2 also. Maybe later this week or weekend.

@Paul T, in 1967 Levi´s used black bar tacks on the back pockets, this is what made me to think that those are 1983 repros, I guess the first orange thread bar tags had been used from 1983 on(orange tabs had those on from the start of production)

You're absolutely right, they essentially look to have th emodern back pockets, with the post-2003 arcuate, the modern non-chainstitched hem... just a test for fabric and finish I guess, fascinating nonethless.

Update on my Knappave. Washed twice in hot water and almost no shrinkage, so they are crazy loose. Bought 38W (measured 39W) and they are still about 38W. I was assuming that tagged at STF they would shrink to at least 37W giving adequate grip with the buckle.

Another thing is the non-selvage seams are not surged, so there are lots of loose threads hanging inside the jeans. I'm gonna try for a soak in boiling water to see if I can get some more shrinkage out of them. I hate to throw them in the dryer as it really spreads the dye around the jeans too much.

Why size up? Pre-wash they are already an inch larger than the stated size on the Knappave with only minimal shrinkage after two super hot washes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I mean size up by one inch on the measured size not the tag size.

I don't have the actual Knappave sizes to hand, but if you're buying say the 1901 and you're a true 32 waist, this means the best bet is probably the 30W, which measures 32 inches. The 32W actually measures 34 inches, according the 501 visual guide threads. You always need to check with the retailer if possible, because the sizes change for 2009 and later production - in general, they're all bigger.

To recap, ignore the tag size. Go by the actual size - more details. including actual dimensions, on the 501 visual guide

@roy6,

the wash that is called "old rinsed" and had been used in 2004 for two jeans, 1966 501xx and 1966 606 super slims which I owned both, the evidence is the little stain on the left back pocket and the light whiskers on the yoke...

Sympathy, maybe this was a prototype for those '60s models, and some of the details of the cut weren't being observed while they worked on the rinse. The cut is fairly slim, so I can buy their being based on a '60s model. The arcuates are wrong for any cut from the '60s through the '80s, is what made me think they weren't true to any produced model.

They're almost dry, after wearing them most of last night. I'll finish it up and post fit pics tonight or tomorrow , if they aren't too embarrassing (jean=30", I=31inches, at best).

Paul, my avatar is well-rounded, and can wear any number of styles of clothing equally badly.

After wearing my 67s I swore I would only wear raw LVC from that point on but last week when I saw a pretty great deal on these washed 1933 Rider's Run jeans on oki-ni I went ahead and sprang for them. I've never ordered a predistressed/washed pair before since I read mixed reviews about what people thought of them.

I have to say I am generally impressed with the fit, the details: patch, the National Recovery Act tag, etc. and it makes me want to order soooo many other raw LVC models now. I can only imagine how amazing it would have been to break these in myself....

I snapped some photos, and I think for the summer these will be awesome - they are light, loose, and will look great cuffed high with a white t-shirt. I know it won't be the same as if I had broken them in myself but I am still stoked to be wearing a classic looking pair of jeans!

1933_8.jpg

1933_7.jpg

1933_6.jpg

1933_4.jpg

1933_3.jpg

1933_2.jpg

1933.jpg

1933_1.jpg

I'm not an expert but oki-ni has a typ one jacket with a red tab ;)

http://www.oki-ni.com/Mens-Jackets+Outewear/Levis-Vintage-1936-Type-1-Jacket/invt/lev0105rig

THe Type 1 came out well before the red tab was introduced, I think, but early examples are rare; it looks as if the cheaper version, the 206, was more popular. I haven't checked, but I think Levi's aren't sure when it first appeared, due to lost records. But it certinaly predated the introduciton of the red tab in 1936/7.

Nearly all the RType 1 I've seen have the tab, probably because it really became popular in the late 30s - I don't think I've seen an old one in the flesh without the red tab, but I've seen plenty of archive photos of them. I can't remember what year the LVC version replicates, I would presume it's 1937.

Dr Heech will correct me if I'm wrong. Where are you Doctor? Hope all's well.

I just bought my 1st pairs of LVC and they are amazing. I got the Raw 47's from the Levis sale and these are some really nice jeans. After a cold soak, they fit really good. And to think I was gonna buy some cheap ass STF's at some point. Also I bought the 33 Rider Run Jeans. These are really nice jeans, although for me they fit a tad big and the chinch is pretty cheap. Still they are nice. I think i'm hooked on LVC. I hope to have some pics soon.

Already looking to by my next pair of raws. Could become an expensive obsession:D

Seriously, don't take that from this board. Wear your jeans, pick a different pair in 6 months... take your time, don't just become another consumer.

THere's no reason the next, more expensive, pair will be better than your 47. Put the time into them and they will look excellent.

Seriously, don't take that from this board. Wear your jeans, pick a different pair in 6 months... take your time, don't just become another consumer.

THere's no reason the next, more expensive, pair will be better than your 47. Put the time into them and they will look excellent.

thats some excellent advice. not only do 47s and LVC in general need a good helping of time to look good, you don't need kill your wallet and engorge yourself on new denim.

my first pair was a 1947. they were the only jeans I ever wore for the first months. I liked them so much that in 6 months I got another pair. then in 6 months I got a 1937, then a year later I flogged the 2nd 1947 on ebay (reference to paul T) and got a 1915. I'd sell the first 47s too, but I think the crotch is too bad to fetch any decent amount of money on ebay. but maybe I'm wrong.

i am a couple of weeks into my 47's and i absolutely love them. almost pulled the trigger on buying another pair just to stash away!

definitely listen Paul T and erk on waiting at least 6 months to buy more pairs. But, looking is OK! hahaha i spend a lot of time looking at different brands i want to buy in the future.

its like having a girlfriend, except your gf is your jeans. its ok to look but not cheat :P

These are the cone/LVC samples post soak.

Thanks PaulT & Sympathy, for figuring out what these probably are: a recent cut of the 501 made with selvedged denim & the 'Old Rinsed' wash. The wash is really nice, and totally had me fooled. I was sure these had been worn rigid and hard. The way that they smelled like a hobo's ashtray helped the illusion. Was the scent part of the wash? Such verisimilitude. Those Levi's guys are genius.

I though they were slim cut, but I guess it was just that they are a smaller size than I am used to wearing. Looks like a typical modern 501 when worn.

4366080399_4da77465b4_o.jpg

Yeah, I want to first welcome you also and Paul is giving very good advice. I love my 47s and they don't look half as nice as Pauls 47s. Those babies rock. Wear'm hard and keep 'm outta the wash as long as you can and you will be rewarded.