Levi's Vintage Clothing

ILevi's is actually, to debunk the myths that have been going around, going to discontinue the LVC line and the Capital E Line (this is according to the flagship store manager in San Francisco). I suppose it's for economy reasons, but I'm sure they'll replace them soon with some new line of high quality (hopefully selvedge) denim. But to everyone's dismay, Levi's isn't going to be reproducing old jeans anymore. Buy them while you can, they won't be around long. Seem's like now is a good time to release a new 201 for them, seeing as how the economy sucks like it did back in 1929.

I've heard specific denials from this in Europe, in that the fall 09 jeans are being produced right now. even as the range is already discontinued in Levi's US stores. I can't see that Levi's will simply let the European and Japanese market go.

Paul, I've given a list of my post 555 jeans, earlier in this thread, with booklet dates, inside tag #'s (643M), and top button #'s or letters. I think it's interesting to note the changeover seems to be 2004 - If you take the 1933's, spring 04 has 'R' on the top button, whereas fall 04 has a blank. Also, every season after also has blank on the reverse on the top button. Maybe the US Lvc continued to have 'R' marked on the buttons until 2006/7? Is this something that could be confirmed by Taylor Togs?

Paul

Also, from which factory does the button stamp: 233M (my 1927's) and button stamp: 4170 (1917's) come from? Or are these non-US factories?

Sorry to go on...

It's quite possible the SF store manager was referring specifically to the US-only market. LVC hasn't been available in the US for months now (unless you count marked down carry-overs from previous seasons). I was actually surprised "Capital E" has lasted as long as it has.

US-only probably. The Levi's store in Amsterdam is selling from the LVC 09 collection

Here's the LVC Type II jacket I have. It's a size 48 and too big, hence my decision to sell it. A 46 would have been perfect. I got it used - it had been washed once, and I have not washed it subsequently.

Anyway, on to the pics. The denim has a very nice look I think. Notice in the detail shots.

DSCN1827.jpg

DSCN1837.jpg

DSCN1831.jpg

DSCN1832.jpg

DSCN1833.jpg

DSCN1830.jpg

DSCN1829.jpg

jake, I have a 507 just like that- no XX. Are the buttons stamped 822? If so, what year is it from? The inner tag (not the leather one) in mine is long gone. Anyone know what factory 822 designates? I assume it's after the San Antonio plant closed.

jake, I have a 507 just like that- no XX. Are the buttons stamped 822? If so, what year is it from? The inner tag (not the leather one) in mine is long gone. Anyone know what factory 822 designates? I assume it's after the San Antonio plant closed.

The inner tag on this one is likewise gone on this one. I'll check the buttons tonight when I get home.

-Jake

Bijan,

I have a 1929 Levis 213 repro jacket, which has a Valencia st. factory type inner label with 822 dated 12/99, made in USA. The reverse of the button is also stamped 822. (years ago, when Dejan (Cultizm) had just an Ebay shop, I bough a pair of 1873 1st blue jeans from him, which also had the same 822 on the inner tag and button).

I have always associated the 822 stamp with pre-2003 Lvc ...The quality of the material/construction of the jacket is identical to the pair of 201's stamped 555 that I have. Therefore I believe the 822 marked jeans and jackets must have been made in the USA at the same time Valencia st. was producing stuff. Where about's is another mystery...

yeah, you're probably right about LVC's still being produced in Europe and Japan. I didn't even think of it that way; still sucks about the prices though, unless of course Cultizm plans to carry them. I did see that they added the Menlo Jacket, but I haven't been keeping up with the non-denim parts of the LVC line. And as for the LVC jacket, you can find legit Big E blanket lined jackets at a store in San Francisco called "The Wasteland" for around $70. Good sizes, wear, everything. Look em up online and give them a call, I'm sure they ship for a price. I picked up a Big E jacket from there, it's just standard, but it fits awesome.

i guess the 233 stamp will become scarce but not necessarily 'collectable'.

i believe the San Antonio factory was the last Levi's owned and therefore holds a certain curiosty.

I agree. But I dont think either will become collectable as IMO the quality did change significantly after the Valencia st. factory shut down. I have three items from the San Antonio factory - the quality IS good, but it still falls short of the 555's.

BTW, although I love my 1927's, IMO the 233M stamp will never become collectable due to poor quality and historical inaccuracy!!

THey don't all have the silver thread, partiuclarly the early ones - there have been several examples posted here .

That's interesting. Does that also apply to the button stamp? There seems to be two types: the first looks similar to this - 555, the second is a slimmer/staighter three digit 555.

Also, I have a 557xx jacket from 1997 which has the usual wash tag, but blank button backs (it's definately legit!)

I'll have to go back and check the labels now for silver thread !

i guess the 233 stamp will become scarce but not necessarily 'collectable'.

i believe the San Antonio factory was the last Levi's owned and therefore holds a certain curiosty.

There's a lot of things that seem to be collectible or sought after for no other reason than the myths built around them.

I.e. 555, Cone denim, etc.

I just want to say to everyone to make up your own opinion instead of conforming to others.

There's just no reason why a 233 should be valuable. And of course, I personally don't care for 555 or 554 either.