Levi's Vintage Clothing

They are beautiful! I love all the early workwear stuff. I wish I'd seen those overalls in the archives, as we've mentioned before the fabric on the 200 range always looks terrific. Where/what for will you wear them?

I wore my 1886 almost everyday for over 6 months I probably do the same with these. This is it for a while. I still have got a pair of 37 501s and a pair of 1947s to break in and I'm still work'n on the 55s... When does it end? Dejan told me about these almost a yeatr ago. He thought he'd be getting them raw but I guess it didn't happen so I'll have to settle for the pre aged ones. These don't look to bad.

Hi there,

I received one of those overalls from Dejan - they're not ugly, but way too huge ! If you want one, you 've got to take it 2 or even 3 sizes smaller than usually ! I wonder for what kind of people Levis created them :( :confused: (I need W36 and took W32 !)

The aging is OK, with a bit too much green in it. Very heavy denim. Limited to 290 pieces and comes in a white bag.

Hi there,

I wonder for what kind of people Levis created them :( :confused: (I need W36 and took W32 !)

Annoying if LVC fucked up to the sizing to that extent. There's way too much variability between different models, which means it's almost impossible to buy mail order via tag size unless you always stick to the same model. When I buy now I always try them on, or get actual measurements.

One thing that's amazing about original vintage Levi's is how short the leg length usuall are - it would seem that from the 1890s right thru to the 30s, the average height must have been 5'5" or less. Often accompanied by a large measurement.

Look at some of the cowboy jeans, with spur bites, and you wonder how the little fellas managed to get up on their hosses.

I posted this in the small questions thread but still havent recieved the answers i was looking for. Thought it best fit in this thread even though their not LVC (sorry if it does not). I bought these levis at the thrift store for $1.50 and figured i'd use them just for their material because i knew they wouldnt fit me cuz they were a 36 waist (i'm usually a 33or34), so i took them home and washed them and tried em on for kicks and miraculously they fit like a dream. So after all that being said. I am trying to identify which model these are and any other information about them. I was told PAUL T may be able to help.

IMG_8374.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

Additional Pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/minkous/IMG_8374.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/minkous/IMG_8375.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/minkous/IMG_8376.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/minkous/IMG_8383.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/minkous/IMG_8386.jpg

Takidaa, I'm sure if you read right thru this thread you will find more than enough information.

Hopefully, this might help too:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010

Minkous, your jeans don't looks like 501s, they are orange label, probably from the 70s. DOn't know model number off hand, have you tried looking for a code on the inner tag? I can't read the code on your two horse patch, it looks like 617... but those jeans don't look like 617 to me. Good jeans for $1.50, though.

THanks for your help Paul.... ima check for the inside tag wen i get home! i did notice the button on them has the number 542 on the inside (btw they are zipper fly so they have only one button at the top) idk if that makes a difference

THanks for your help Paul.... ima check for the inside tag wen i get home! i did notice the button on them has the number 542 on the inside (btw they are zipper fly so they have only one button at the top) idk if that makes a difference

orange tab 505.... the paper tag should say 505-0217

The Saddleman came out around 1967, but was incorporated into the orange tab budget range later. The first one looked pretty much like a 501, but flared. It was redesigned later, and I think got a new number, which I thought was 617, but it isn't - I have a pair of the later version but can't find them. SOrry, I'm vague on orange tab, I have a model breakdown with years somewhere but can't find that either.

Your jeans are probably mid or late 70s - they're little e. Take a photo of the stitching inside the back pockets and we can narrow down the date. They' re nice jeans but not particularly valuable.

Edit: if you like the fit there are a lot of these available, they are the quintessential bootcut Levi's. THey were made in the US till fairly recently in a red tab version, and even the EUro ones were/are pretty good. My 90s Euro ones had a fade which is about as good as anything you see on LVC.

does anyone know how well '47s can stand up to an initial hot wash? I would like to take care of the shrinkage right away, but if they're going to lose a ton of indigo with a wash I'll just soak them.

My experience with LVC raw is most of the shrinkage is done with 3 or 4 wet to dry cycles but it takes about 10 to fully shrink. Don't alter until 10.

Does anyone have fit pics of the new season of LVC -- specifically the 1967 505? I'm dying for a pair of raw Levi's and these might work but I've never tried the 505 cut. If i went to the Levi's store and tried the current 505, how will it differ from these?

Also, what is the leg opening and rise on this?

The 505 are slim, lower rise than previous years I believe, so I wouldn't assume the LVC cut is similar to the mass-market model. Try emailing cultizm or another supplier. Hinoya normally have measurements but they don't have them in stock:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/c/0000000178/?p=2&type=all

The spring 07 ones I looked at are also made undersized - a 32W is likely to measure slightly less. They are sanforized, incidentally, so there should only be minor shrinking.

Thanks Paul. How do the 505's compare to the 514's that Levi's now sells?

Don't think you can make a meaningful comparison I'm afraid. The 514 is a modern, low-rise cut, while the 505 is a slight modification of a vintage style. I don't think you can learn much about the latter from the former. I would suspect the LVC is more similar to the mass-market 505, without that 'relaxed' thigh look, but again I don't think the comparison will help.

One thing about the 505 is that, being Sanforized, if you buy it thru someone like Cultizm and the fit is wildly off, you should be able to exchange it - which would not of course be the case with jeans you'd had to wash.

I know that belongs to the supermarket, but why not put in here, lots of links to shops appeared in here so why not mine;) and by the way it´s 1971 517-0217 saddleman bootcut jean, the one Paul T was talkin of, it´s a Valancia Street LVC Version :), I only sell because I´ve got another pair that is in my right size...

517 are still part of the US Levi collection and were preduced in the 1970s-1980s as Red Tab(I´ve got a nice deadstock 1986 version, I love it) and as Orange Tab which I don´t like that much, the cut hasn´t changed really much since there introduction in

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320154663511&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011

They are beautiful! I love all the early workwear stuff. I wish I'd seen those overalls in the archives, as we've mentioned before the fabric on the 200 range always looks terrific. Where/what for will you wear them?

Paul they just arrived and these 1905 209s are some SWEET LVCs. The blue line denim is incredible. In the same league as my 555 blue line. They actually have buckles that are not CRAP and don't have the cross bar but need to be filed into sharp points. A-5 min. job. . They are large but I like the baggy fit they're coveralls for gawd sake. I can even over look the fact that they're preaged....I'll be living in them for a while.

hey all, just joined and wanted to thank everyone for the past year's posts, i finally finished reading through them, and have gotten a good amount of info. also, i've been able to rationalize my collecting after seeing some of your pairs.

that being said, here's a pic i took of my set. i'm looking for the type 1953 mended 2 lvc jacket, where would be the proper place to post a "looking for..." post? the supermarket seemed to be more for SALE stuff, not so much looking for... also, i'm sure there's places that might still have em that someone here could put me on to?

anyways, cheers.

dsc05613ff9.jpg

bottom row: 1920 201 DS, 1979 501, 1955 501, 1933 501 euro, 1947 501, 1999 silicone spun, 1947 501 DS, 1 pocket DS

top row: 1937 501, 1944 "PW", 1 pocket, 1933 501 numbered, levisXcommeXjunya, 1933 501 grey stitchrepair, 1971 517, 1920 201 mended buttons, 1933 box patches, 1937 501