Levi's Vintage Clothing

Chucko, I know what you mean. I'm holding fire on any more Lvc purchases (except the 1915's) until the goatskin for my GW production Monarch M-422 comes through in about 6-7 weeks. Pretty much finalised my size. Gonna be expensive, but worth it. I'll probably have to sell some stuff too.

Chucko, I know what you mean. I'm holding fire on any more Lvc purchases (except the 1915's) until the goatskin for my GW production Monarch M-422 comes through in about 6-7 weeks. Pretty much finalised my size. Gonna be expensive, but worth it. I'll probably have to sell some stuff too.

Ah, good. Now I can look forward to seeing how your M-422 turns out. Airfrog can get some wear pictures of his jackets and jeans plus the rest of the regular crew. I can do this. Sufu will be my denim and leather methadone clinic for the summer.

I'm also researching cowboy boots. I want a good sturdy pair of cowboys. That'll set me back a few bob I'm figuring.

i just love the evolution of the levis arc

They're just the definition of cool aren't they?! I love looking at the oldest models. They nailed down pretty quick what would work and they're pretty much the same well over 100 years later. Even the elements that dropped away like the cinch's were great ideas. It's a shame Levi hasn't had better strategic thinkers guiding the brand since the late 60's. Even though Levi has faired better they remind me of the American car companies in terms of pissing away an amazing legacy.

They're just the definition of cool aren't they?! I love looking at the oldest models. They nailed down pretty quick what would work and they're pretty much the same well over 100 years later. Even the elements that dropped away like the cinch's were great ideas. It's a shame Levi hasn't had better strategic thinkers guiding the brand since the late 60's. Even though Levi has faired better they remind me of the American car companies in terms of pissing away an amazing legacy.

You're right they have this great history and legacy and make decent repros (could be better on some models) and they don't let anyone know they're producing these reproductions. Most people excluding us geeks in the US don't have a clue is to what LVC is.

And think of what they could do with their regular line of 501s.

At some point it all became about barfing out crap in volume. Once you train people to think your product has little value it's hard to go back. Apple is one of the few American companies that thinks strategically and has avoided this.

Levi should try though. Stop with the hipster stuff and the Walmart crap. Get back to the basics and QUALITY, move up market. If they were ready now would be a great time. The economies bad, buy one great pair of selvedge jeans (instead of three crappy pairs) that will last and fade them. Here's how kids!

They're just the definition of cool aren't they?! I love looking at the oldest models. They nailed down pretty quick what would work and they're pretty much the same well over 100 years later. Even the elements that dropped away like the cinch's were great ideas.

Absolutely.

I particularly love the jeans from the 20's and 30's. At present I'm gently breaking in some one wash 27's and Lee 1930 cowboy one wash, with a pair of raw 33's ® and some raw 20's 201 (555's) plus some raw 37 201xx's (555) waiting in the wings. Would love to see a US made 1922 repro or a 1936 version. Addicted to the Arcuate evolution !

You want a great example of what's wrong with Levi go to their web site. An iconic American brand and that's what you've got?! Cultizm's site is a heck of a lot more fun to spend time on and I'm assuming he doesn't have a fraction of a percent of Levi's resources.

Sorry to rant. It's just such a waste.

Absolutely.

I particularly love the jeans from the 20's and 30's. At present I'm gently breaking in some one wash 27's and Lee 1930 cowboy one wash, with a pair of raw 33's ® and some raw 20's 201 (555's) plus some raw 37 201xx's (555) waiting in the wings. Would love to see a US made 1922 repro or a 1936 version. Addicted to the Arcuate evolution !

An on the ball company could do a lot with customer's this into their jeans. I'm glad you mentioned Lee though. Compared to Lee, Levi is a marketing genius. Lee's are super cool too.

How about some amazing stores in NYC, LA, Chicago, Seattle, etc. Temples of denim. Sell a lot of Japanese brands too. Make a deal with the Japanese companies to let them use the arcs and tabs for a reasonable fee in this country.

Absolutely.

Wow! So you are working on two pair with three pair in the wings? Do you work in jeans? What do you do with your old jeans? Hang onto some that you like and sell the ones you don't?

I feel like a bum I can only manage one pair at a time. I can't wear jeans to work though.

"And think of what they could do with their regular line of 501s."

Local department stores (JC Penny and Macys) don't even stock 501s (of any type) any more. Not much reason to advertise $200 LVC 501s, when you can't sell many pairs of $40 501s. The people that need to know about LVC, do. And I'd be willing to bet that those that know about LVC, know about all the Japanese brands too and are drawn to them over the LVC (unless they're really hung up on historic models). I know that after spending the past three months in my Fullcounts that my LVC is now kinda "blah".

Absolutely.

A 1922, a 1936 and a 1954 501 botton fly cut right...

"And think of what they could do with their regular line of 501s."

Local department stores (JC Penny and Macys) don't even stock 501s (of any type) any more. Not much reason to advertise $200 LVC 501s, when you can't sell many pairs of $40 501s. The people that need to know about LVC, do. And I'd be willing to bet that those that know about LVC, know about all the Japanese brands too and are drawn to them over the LVC (unless they're really hung up on historic models). I know that after spending the past three months in my Fullcounts that my LVC is now kinda "blah".

That's the problem in a nutshell. The world is full of miserable Levi jeans that you can get for $30 bucks. You have that on one side and the Japanese doing what they do on the high end. LVC get's lost.

Problem with a good deal of the Japanese models is they are to slubby, to heavy, and cut wrong as compared to originals. I think that SC do a good job on the 47s and theres a few other makers that do a decent job but a good # of them are not accurate as compared to originals.

The Japanese always seems to do an incredible job recreating things: jeans, A2's but they also always seem to really exaggerate aspects of them in weird ways. My Buzz Ricson A2 was really cool but the wrist cuff knits were really strange. They were huge and oddly shaped.

Wow! So you are working on two pair with three pair in the wings? Do you work in jeans? What do you do with your old jeans? Hang onto some that you like and sell the ones you don't?

I feel like a bum I can only manage one pair at a time. I can't wear jeans to work though.

Unfortunately, I dont work in jeans, so I only have the weekends/evenings to do so. I used to, but now work in modern workwear twills. I recently went up a size in jeans (from 32.5-33.5), which means last year I sold all my 'current wearers'. I had to start again. My current line up is:

1927 501xx one soak + one wash, 34/34,

Lee 101 Cowboy 1930 one wash 32/34 (hemmed),

1963 551zxx(555) one wash, 34/34 (hemmed),

And for 'smart', 1955 501xx(554) one soak 34/34.

And in the wings:

1955 501xx sz34/40 (555)raw,

1955 501xx sz35/40 (555) one wash,

1933 501xx sz36/36 ® raw,

1929 201 (555) sz 36/38 raw,

1937 201xx (555) sz 36/40 raw,

1880 knappave sz 34/34 raw,

1917 501xx sz 32/34 raw,

1944 501xx sz 36/36 (striped shirt pocket) raw,

And 1963 551zxx sz 34/32 raw...

Plus many others

Whether I get to wear 'em all is another matter....

That's the problem in a nutshell. The world is full of miserable Levi jeans that you can get for $30 bucks. You have that on one side and the Japanese doing what they do on the high end. LVC get's lost.

i dont think LVC are lost, for as long there are people like me and us who really believed in levis. Why ChuckO,you have a problem about $30 levis?look at the high school students here in america most of them are wearing levis 511,514 and 501 stf. Meaning levis target age are 15 to 25 y/o,most of them still asking money to there parents. LVC are for adults who can afford it. And for all of you who are worshiping japanese jeans,take off your LVC and give it to somebody who really deserves wearing it. To me jap jeans are nothing but a 2nd grade copycats.

VIVA LEVIS STRAUSS.

My local "department" stores are overflowing with regular Levi's, but the gist of the argument is that Levi's does not have any major demand for LVC products; particularly from its American market. Brands like True Religion and Nudie (however you feel about them) are infinitely more popular. Plus, as stated, some Japanese brands possess more interesting denim; I can't comment on quality, since it varies. The average american doesn't see the frugality of paying $180 for vintage denim, particularly to do blue collar work in.

Problem with a good deal of the Japanese models is they are to slubby, to heavy, and cut wrong as compared to originals. I think that SC do a good job on the 47s and theres a few other makers that do a decent job but a good # of them are not accurate as compared to originals.

You have a lot of informative posts, but you've said this probably 20 times already.

I think it's pretty obvious that not all of the Japanese brands people like are attempting to do exact reproductions, and the people buying them aren't looking for exact reproductions.

There are plenty of 505s, 550s, 517s, etc in local department stores, but 501s are no longer on the shelves, and that makes sense. The button fly alone is going to turn off a lot of customers.

I'm not trying to run down LVC, I think it's great that Levis offers the line, and it's what got me into all this. But price alone doomed the line in the American market (and no amount of advertising or image would help that). And when it comes to denimheads who (from what I can gather from reading various threads here) are more into fashion and style than history, LVC is a bit bland. Personally, I want accuracy when it comes to fit and look (I don't understand Japanese brands making old style jeans and then putting low rises in them), but I also want something interesting going on with the denim itself, and I'm not getting that with my '37 or '44 LVC.

You have a lot of informative posts, but you've said this probably 20 times already.

I think it's pretty obvious that not all of the Japanese brands people like are attempting to do exact reproductions, and the people buying them aren't looking for exact reproductions.

I think this statement gets repeated because there are a bazillion new people who post without looking at the entire thread and ask the same question, which receives the same answer.

Maybe airfrog should add, "As stated before many times in this thread...."

There are plenty of 505s, 550s, 517s, etc in local department stores, but 501s are no longer on the shelves, and that makes sense. The button fly alone is going to turn off a lot of customers.

Every mervyns I go into has a crap load of STF 501s.

hello all- have not posted in quite a while. Im thinking about ordering up another pair from cultizm. Id like to try a cinch back model, to add to my 47s. Are advice on which of the current cinch back offerings are slimmest. The y are all a bit baggy in comparison to say a 1966, but any advice would be appreciated. Im a 35w and skinny.

Thanks

PS-the lack of LVC represenation in the states is truly disturbing. I hope levis does not go the way of Us steel industry and buick....

i dont think LVC are lost, for as long there are people like me and us who really believed in levis. Why ChuckO,you have a problem about $30 levis?look at the high school students here in america most of them are wearing levis 511,514 and 501 stf. Meaning levis target age are 15 to 25 y/o,most of them still asking money to there parents. LVC are for adults who can afford it. And for all of you who are worshiping japanese jeans,take off your LVC and give it to somebody who really deserves wearing it. To me jap jeans are nothing but a 2nd grade copycats.

VIVA LEVIS STRAUSS.

"Why ChuckO,you have a problem about $30 levis?look at the high school students here in america most of them are wearing levis 511,514 and 501 stf."

Is this true? I kind of hope it is. I just wish they were higher quality. I'm going to have to pay more attention to what the teenagers are wearing these days. I don't have a problem with the price per se. It's more the quality and design I have issues with. I mean do you think there will be a market for these as vintage jeans in the future? Stuff that was bought pre-faded? It seems like more disposable crap to me.

I completely understand what your saying but I think they should have stuck with sanforised selvedge jeans for the mainstream products. I think most companies regardless of industry that become popular hit a period where cheap imitators come along and they have to make a decision to get down in the dirt with those folks or stick to their guns and say what we're making is worth a premium. That's what I think Levi should have done. I don't think they would have to be prohibitively expensive that most people couldn't afford just not in the JC Penney, Target, Walmart category.

The pre-1940 LVC I wouldn't think would have a large potential market. Producing those as almost works of art for a premium price makes sense to me. The '47, '55, '66 should all be mainstream jeans sold in volumes that would allow Levi to sell them for half the price we pay now.

I disagree with what you say about the Japanese brands. I don't own any myself. I just bought the wife a pair of Pure Blue Japans, though. But they are clearly super passionate about what they do and I think ultimately have helped create a market for more authentic denim products.

I'm not trying to run down LVC, I think it's great that Levis offers the line, and it's what got me into all this. But price alone doomed the line in the American market (and no amount of advertising or image would help that). And when it comes to denimheads who (from what I can gather from reading various threads here) are more into fashion and style than history, LVC is a bit bland. Personally, I want accuracy when it comes to fit and look (I don't understand Japanese brands making old style jeans and then putting low rises in them), but I also want something interesting going on with the denim itself, and I'm not getting that with my '37 or '44 LVC.

I think it's all great. The Japanese brands, LVC. I like the companies that have mixtures of authentic elements and more modern cuts. Choices are fantastic. I just think the whole pre-faded, take all the work out of it for people is what sucks. Wear in your own damn jeans!