Levi's Vintage Clothing

Damn... 1828 huh? I have been really into hardwood flooring since I bought my house. I have to go with distressed hardwood, cuz I want instant gratification, but I wish I could get some old hickory flooring.

Also, if nobody coming to your house comments on the flooring, you should keep better company... (j/k)

Yeah, well our house was turned down for a mortgage cos it was kinda old, then even later on the surveyor looked at the reclaimed radiators, plus metal-fronted plug sockets & asked if we were gonna get the house replumbed and rewired!

Sadly all that stuff is real hard to get now, I bought a few old boards for one room and they'd gone up to £120 per sq meter. I suspect it's a lot easier in the US... I wonder what happened to the old flooring and fittings from the other buildings that looked like abandoned mills I saw in Greensboro?

I'm sure I saw Sympathy for the Denim has cool floorboards, too.

not to continue the derailment but my house (built in the 30s) has great hardwood floors

:)

Ohh, well aren't you just too cool. (j/k) Any pics? To further derail.

Anybody see burn after reading? Clooney's character is always commenting on the flooring of people's houses/condos.

Looking good Paul. The shuttle is nice, too; how old is it?

Just for reference, I recently washed my 20s 201, 47 501 and 55 501 (they\re pictured in that order).

triofront.jpg

trioback.jpg

I think almostnice is correct, in that the fabric on the recent 47 doesn't wear in as nicely as the previous ones... it's less blue, so the wear doesn't come thru as strongly. I'm still pretty happy with them though, which is just as well, as I now have two more pairs sitting under the bed. Er, plus another new 55 and the 201s. And, er, the 1896, which have been worn for perhaps a couple of weeks.

Lastly, here's something I brought back from Cone. I was all choked up when they gave me it.

shuttle.jpg

...cause we love to abuse our jeans for months on end without wash, and then complain that they are not worth the money.

fwiw, here's my $30 Levi's 501 stf jeans 13.5 or 13.75oz. (made in Dominican Republic). Got em in sept.'07 from a retail store in NYC that sells work clothes -- Carhartt, Red Wing as well as Levi's. These jeans have been through hell. I wore them for over 9mo's digging out a tree stump, trimming trees and shrubs, moving rock, digging, mowing the lawn countless times, shoveling snow, hiking and plenty of grease work in the garage before they got their first wash. They just recently developed a rip above left knee only because that's where my dog digs his claws while riding w/me in my car all the time, but still have plenty of life left in them. I can certainly say they are worth the money. At least Levi's still does what they've always done best -- make a stylish perfect fitting lasting top quality work/casual jean for the masses for a fair price.

th_501stf1.jpgth_501stf2.jpgth_501stf3.jpgth_501stf4.jpg

th_501stf5.jpg

Those stfs look good for the price but it's terrible how poorly they seem to hold their dye. I wonder what has changed with the modern stf and the dyeing process that makes them hold their color so poorly in comparison to older Levi's (or maybe modern washing machines are just better :)).

those are legit 1960s 501s. but 3,900 dollars!? or is it yen?

No, they are not. Look at the text on the pocket bag.

EDIT: And I also believe, nearly know, that older Levi's jeans never even had text on their pocket bags. Just their jeans from later years, including the reproductions.

meader is right. Those are pre-LVC Capital E repros from early 90's.

Paul T writes about them in his book:

1992's San Fransisco-produced "Capital E" replica was deemed inauthentic by a new generation of purists, who instead turned to companies like Osaka's Evis

Lildavid is right Only the repros have a 3-digit code on the button, plus the fabric doesn't look the same. And as pointed out, only repros (and Thai fakes) have the text on the pocket bags.

The Capital E had a mixture of features from different years, came in a pretentious box, and were very expensive. Levi's only really got it right when they brought in the Europeans and the Japanese (who had already produced repros) to launch LVC.

How is the sizing of the LVC 1947 raws? Is the waist smaller than tagged? And are they shrink to fit?

Please ignore the earlier reply, all LVC 1947 are made slightly UNDERSIZE. Using the standard method of measuring the back and boubling, they come in at 30" for the 32 waist and 32 for the 34 (stretch them and you'll get another inch). I have had four from different years which all had similar sizing, as do the current ones. You need to zie up by two inches for a traditional fit, or one inch if you like them slimmer.

More info:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010

PLus a specific 1947 sizing thread, 6 pages of it...:

http://superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=1071327%3F

Edit: Coe, those jeans aren't really worth it. Try and get hold of the LVC 1955 instead.

i hesitate to post this as i know it's another annoying sizing question, but my research has only gotten me more confused.

my dad has decided he wants some dry denim, and he'd prefer it to be LVC because it reminds him of the old days. he doesn't want a cinch back or any of the early 20th century models (1901, 1927, 1873, etc.)

i measured his favorite jeans and the idea here is to get a fit as close to this as possible:

Waist - 40

Front Rise - 13

Back Rise - 18.5

Thigh - 14.25

Leg Opening - 8.75

Inseam - 33.5-34

as you can see they need to be kinda' roomy up top with a strong taper. my initial thought was for a 1966 cut but now i'm not sure. nor do i know what tagged size to get that will shrink to 40". or where to get it. any ideas?

help a 60 yr old dude get some cool jeans! i appreciate it!!

Perhaps a pair of 1955's would be his best bet. i suggest the 66's would be a tad slim for a man of his superior years.

FYI the 66's are sanforised and do not shrink.

yeah. Or thereabouts. Not sure if the 55's come true to size. If I were you i'd email Cultism and ask for actual measurements.

Or perhaps someone else can advise from here?

The 55 are a very good choice.

The waist comes in slightly oversize - my 32 waist measures 32 after washing, so a 42 waist will give you room for manoeuvre (they don't seem to do a 40), they will fit ok but your dad might need a belt too - and a 36 leg sounds right. They will effectively have a relaxed fit, wide around the thighs, but in a cool way.

Good luck, post fit pix, speaking as the one who posted the denim for nippers thread it it would be very cool to have an age range of 2-60 on here...