Levi's Vintage Clothing

i searched but cannot find information about the stretch/shrinkage on the washed varieties of the 1947 501. can anyone share their experience ?

With any prewashed jean, shrink will be minimal.

They will also almost always stretch out to what they once were even if they do shrink. If you're really worried about it, just be sure to cold wash and then hang dry.

How does the quality of denim and construction compare between LVC that are Made in USA and those that are Made in Japan?

I have a pair of LVC USA '47, and I am not very impressed with the quality. I am wondering if the LVC Japan '47 made under license by Edwin are any better.

Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance.

How does the quality of denim and construction compare between LVC that are Made in USA and those that are Made in Japan?

I have a pair of LVC USA '47, and I am not very impressed with the quality. I am wondering if the LVC Japan '47 made under license by Edwin are any better.

Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance.

The 1947 model used to be the one which was consistently well-made, but they have just switched factory so there might well be teething problems. What looked dodgy on yours? Were they raw?

The Japanese jeans usually have better detailing, with nicer leather patches, but although they are generally more consistent they are generally made with the same denim and there is not always a a huge difference, which is why they still sell the US-made jeans in Japan. It is usually the modified cuts and washes that are more popular in their range.

Edwin, by the way, are the Lee licensees, Levi's Japan is a wholly-owned Levi's subsidiary.

^ As owning both US made 47s from 2001 and 2006 I can say that there is also a significant difference in the denim LVC used.The wear and fading on the 01 is on an other level compared to the 06,it holds the indigo better,there is a much higher contrast visible and the denim feels thicker,like its a tighter weft and is more slubby.Qualitywise they both hold up very well,like all of my LVCs,never had a crotch blowout or frontpocket thread coming loose- happend to my sc okinawa after one month!

47 from 2001

P1020579.jpg

47 from 2006

P1020522-1.jpg

Wow, that is a big difference year on year. Do you think it's entriely down to the denim or did you treat them at all differently?

You've got me worried now, my 2006, the new ones here:

1947newold.jpg

(also on the thread http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=11061 )

are due for washing in a few days. It will be interesting to see how the indigo holds up.

With luck I'll be going to the Cone White Oak plant in January, maybeI can find out more about the difference in spec in the denim from the 20s to the 80s, and also why we seem to get such sample variation year on year in LVC production.

I think its both, the 06 had 2 or 3 more washes,thats the main reason for the lightblue colour,but it looses the indigo much faster than the 01.Wearing the 06 feels also different compared to the 01,the fabric feels a bit lighter and softer.I am not saying that one pair is better than the other,I think both came out great and still have lots of potential.But its noticeable that LVC denim differs from year to year,or even season to season.I am curious how Pauls are coming along,as his pair is from Fall 06 and mine from the first season that year.

did u size up in those 47's

was wondering don't they just stretch back out after the wash

I think its both, the 06 had 2 or 3 more washes,thats the main reason for the lightblue colour,but it looses the indigo much faster than the 01.Wearing the 06 feels also different compared to the 01,the fabric feels a bit lighter and softer.I am not saying that one pair is better than the other,I think both came out great and still have lots of potential.But its noticeable that LVC denim differs from year to year,or even season to season.I am curious how Pauls are coming along,as his pair is from Fall 06 and mine from the first season that year.

Being a w32 I followed the advice on the sticker LVC is putting on nearly every item ( which is misleading very often ) and bought the 47 from 06 in w34.I didnt measured it then but the waist fitted quiet snug.The 01 (w32 ) was a bargain ,so I gave it a try,I couldnt hardly close the top button when raw,but a cold soak and wearing while wet did the trick.As you can see there isnt much of a difference in the waistband,its more in the seat and thights,where the w32 is a bit tighter.If you want a comfortable fit size up 1 or 2.Keep in mind that this is my experience with the 47s from 01 and 06,not sure about this year models.hope I didnt confuse you too much..

w32 from 01 on top:

P1020729.jpg

since the new year is right around the corner, and the new LVC line should be coming out soon, does anyone think/know if the US levi's website will have any of the LVC stuff available? 2008 yielded the terrible 1901 distressed jeans and distressed 66 501s. I haven't even seen any of the LVCs in the store near me besides those orange tab 517s that nobody bought. Maybe 2009 will be different?

BTW: levis should win the prize for most poorly designed websites world wide.

and...I got myself a pair of 1937 501s, my first pair of cinch backs. they're pretty cool. the denim looks real nice. It'll take some getting used to the lighter weight denim and the wider legs, but I'm very satisfied.

since the new year is right around the corner, and the new LVC line should be coming out soon, does anyone think/know if the US levi's website will have any of the LVC stuff available? 2008 yielded the terrible 1901 distressed jeans and distressed 66 501s. I haven't even seen any of the LVCs in the store near me besides those orange tab 517s that nobody bought. Maybe 2009 will be different?

BTW: levis should win the prize for most poorly designed websites world wide.

and...I got myself a pair of 1937 501s, my first pair of cinch backs. they're pretty cool. the denim looks real nice. It'll take some getting used to the lighter weight denim and the wider legs, but I'm very satisfied.

i actually don't mind their international websites, their USA one is pretty bland though

Cold soaked my 551zxx from 1997 . Quite happy with the way they turned out . Not much happening at te back , bit of ass wear . I have been wearing them for a while , again , but will semi retire them . They have faded as much as I prefer and think I will get the 501zxx when it arrives online in the new year .HJJxs' blog hints they are more straight cut which sounds good .

14thjune020.jpg

I usually wear a 33 waist (jeans worn low on waist) and got a 34 in the 1947s. The fit is ok but if I could go back I would've got a 32. I did not consider that fat that these jeans are worn high and they stretch out pretty easily in the waist back to the original waist (even after 2 hot soaks)

Need some help IDing a pair of jeans. They are a 1966 501 repro from the early '90s. They're probably not all that uncommon, but both the owner and myself are curious.

Pics were taken with my phone. Sorry for the crap quality.

1966 flasher

1226081527.jpg

Patch

1226081527a.jpg

Button stamped 555

1226081528.jpg

Selvage, and some package detail.

1226081527b.jpg

Reissue fanfare

1226081529.jpg

Back of rivets. They appear to be coated silver or stainless steel.

1226081529a.jpg

The owner is the proprietor of an old-school western store here in Minneapolis. He has a couple of period Levi's banners in his place.

1226081542.jpg

1226081543.jpg

Didn't get pics of the standard giant fat-guy 501's, nor of the toddler pair.

Any help would be appreciated!