supertalk6
Westbrook

Acronym.

it is cool.. it's a brand called cav empt. read up on it... sometimes it works really well with acronym styling. that's all.

'cool' is subjective. i was referencing the link that i quoted of the soldier wearing the mask in a real time war setting, not cav empt (which i'm quite well aware of).

my apologies for getting the forum off topic.

will help here since i own each of these jackets and have worn them in heavy rain:

1. J47A-GT: I usually keep my phone in one of the right side pockets. Have worn this in pretty intense rain a few times and never had a problem (unless i'm trying to change songs on the phone without ample protection – e.g., indoors). I'm not wearing the jacket right now but iirc the zipper is not orthogonal to rainfall (assuming rain falls completely vertically). The zippers, I believe, are somewhat slanted such that in order to creep into pocket you'd have to kinda fold the excess fabric at the top of the pockets awkwardly. Ultimately – I haven't had a problem with water getting into these pockets. Even better, though, would be to use the dual pocket on the left side, as it's really protected.

2. GT-J5A: Lower pockets are not zippered – not recommended to store anything water-damageable. The expansion pocket, though, has a velcro pocket with a storm flap. I use that or the large waterproof-zipped pockets for my phone.

3. J34-GT(PL): The chest pockets are slanted with flaps, making it pretty unlikely that water gets in there significantly enough to destroy something. I often keep my phone in one of the chest pockets during rainfall. In the event of torrential rain, though, I'll use the left side thigh pocket to store precious cargo (and put gloves in the chest pockets). I'd say the chest pockets are generally sufficient. The jacket being long and roomy also helps – I can store things in pants pockets if necessary.

I wear the J34 & J47A often and haven't had a problem with water leakage for either, but I live in CA and maybe don't see the worst of rain storms Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I feel like each jacket has at least one sufficiently protected storage option, though, so  it's never been a problem for me. 

Thanks for your time insomnia.

Basically I am trying to figure out how waterproof those angled flap pockets with velcro closure are. And trying to get my head arround the concept of pockets without closure on GT jackets, since I associate such jackets with prolonged use in rain (and I'm talking standard central european weather ;)). On that note, two follow-up questions:

• GT-J5A: Does water collect in those pockets if you're in the rain for some time? (This might seem a bit silly, but I mean beyond the pocket "getting wet", since it does seem to be seam sealed at the bottom).
  • J34-GT(PL): The bottom two pockets are open, right?

I should not have hesitated on the J47A...

Edited by hjpx

I can't speak for those jackets but I have the GT-J28 with upwards mezzanine pockets and never get water in them even in a full on downpour. In fact, even my Windstopper J25 doesn't get water in the pockets in heavy rain and they're completely exposed and upwards facing!

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's a non-issue.

I'd be more concerned with wet legs from the ACG pants as the water runs from your GT-J** onto them ☔ï¸

Always wondered if acrnm would make GT trousers?

No, water does not collect in the pockets of a GT-J5A. Unless perhaps you stood under a waterfall or in the shower holding them open. That said, they are small and suitable for your gloves or a hat; anything substantial goes in the large zippered pockets.

It is a great jacket and functional enough that I have no desire or need to replace it with a -47 or -36 etc.

Some sort of gtx upper thigh sleeve to work in tandem with ch pants would be cool for those who cycle a lot. 

Goretex pants are very uncomfortable to wear all day long unless you are 100% outside.

that is true, but that is the same for GT jackets isn't it ? - unless most folks just wear them indoors and by the look of it most do, having seen photos mostly of them standing in front of mirrors - bless 'em !!!

No point in shouting the virtues of waterproof blah blah otherwise eh ?

I like the gtx upper and ch combo though Inky - might be onto something there...

that is true, but that is the same for GT jackets isn't it ? - unless most folks just wear them indoors and by the look of it most do, having seen photos mostly of them standing in front of mirrors - bless 'em !!!

I like the gtx upper and ch combo though Inky - might be onto something there...

you can see this in these riding pants by CCP (not carol), a brand carried by softs

b926cf8c28c092017245cf535ae6b9e5.jpg

looks like they can be stored too

c327b6f2c57af712653d7d872e043666.jpg

http://softs.cart.fc2.com/ca6/379/p1-r-s/

I can pretty much guarantee you that no one is wearing their GT inside unless wherever they are is really cold, or they want to look really awkward.

Goretex pants are very uncomfortable to wear all day long unless you are 100% outside.

Not saying I disagree completely, but interested to know what Gore-Tex pants you've worn inside in and in what conditions (i.e. office environment)? 

New Chucks from Nigel Cabourn look a bit ACRNM-esque

J9hn1vG.png

Don't mind that upper at all, but doesn't really blend too well with toe cap.

It's a nice concept but needs to be paired with a boot rather than an old school sneaker. It just looks too, anime.

Well just an FYI for anyone in Canada who wants to order the J1A - import fees (duties/brokerage) is about 500 bucks

yay

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Sorry to hear that, man.

you know, it's not so bad (in a certain way)- the brokerage fee was only 13 bucks.  The remaining gazillion was duties and gst/pst.  

Overall is about 35% on top of the total amount. I either get a friend abroad (EU) to proxy me. It takes longer but def way cheaper. I never order anything that will get duties and taxes. Its so fucking bullshit

I think it is almost the same as paying retail from Havenshop

Edited by JoseRizal

Overall is about 35% on top of the total amount. I either get a friend abroad (EU) to proxy me. It takes longer but def way cheaper. I never order anything that will get duties and taxes. Its so fucking bullshit

I think it is almost the same as paying retail from Havenshop

Yea dude, pretty much.  However, if you don't have a friend and if you use a proxy like Sutocorp, it almost costs as much as going direct from ACRNM.  I'd rather get it in 3 days from ACRNM than 2 weeks from Sutocorp and have a difference of 25 bucks.  (I've done this before)

Total amount paid was pretty much 30% on retail.

Been wearing Carinthia PRG GTX Pro pants all day long, indoor and outdoor and felt quite comfortable in them .

Yea dude, pretty much.  However, if you don't have a friend and if you use a proxy like Sutocorp, it almost costs as much as going direct from ACRNM.  I'd rather get it in 3 days from ACRNM than 2 weeks from Sutocorp and have a difference of 25 bucks.  (I've done this before)

This isn't a new thing though is it? How much did the J47A, J27 etc costs you in import duties if you don't mind me asking?

This isn't a new thing though is it? How much did the J47A, J27 etc costs you in import duties if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah it's normal. I was charged $400 in duties for the J47GT. Might as well just wait for someone to sell on Grailed. Alternative is Haven, but their markup is way higher than anyone else. 

New drop/restock on acrnm.com

odd selection of items, looks like cleaning out deadstock/returns. 

On the topic of duties, I had to pay £252 to import a J47-GT from USA to the UK

Edited by Majotaur

Go find yourself an e-friend! Lol honestly even if you tip the person 50 bucks it's still cheaper. I feel you though, I hate that we get charged that much.

yeah there are some of people in EU that might help you, even with some ACR sellng feedback.

and there is nothing more sad than paying duties on acronym pieces imported back to the country where they were produced;)

Got a general sizing question for any smaller guys in here on shells like j27 and j47. I'm about 5'6" 140 lbs, size small acronym always seemed like the chest measurement was a bit wide but can anybody comment on the width and arm length around this size. Probably would layer some with the shells so i'm thinking its probably a good fit just curious though without having to read through 200 pages to find answers. Thanks