ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Man it's 5ish am and I woke up and can't fall back asleep. Started reading this thread.

I like the new belt idea. I was thinking of a tender belt perhaps!!!

dkatz-denim fades faster in 3rd world countries!!! That's it, I'm moving!!!

Oh and Phat cuffs you say?!!! I will win in that department :D

IMG_2737.jpg

cool-clasp-open.jpg?w=300&h=200

What are you guys thinking?

Just FYI, dkatz, those buckles kinda suck. I've been using them for belts and have had three snap so far. I'm going to come up with an entirely new design for my belt. Fitting, since the jeans are also a new and unique design.

mikecch- thanks for the info! Mmmm I'm liking the idea of a natural horsehide belt...

I do want to come up with some interesting/unique elements, but I'm not sure what they'd be

Farhad- come on over!

zissou- care to share some details?

And mtchfrnk- I definitely think we should, but waiting for the go-ahead from the fearsome foursome.

I don't understand this whole "Cone denim fades slow" thing... my Tellason Stummers (Cone White Oak) at 5.5 months and 2 washes:

Very nice jeans!

I think the slow fade thing comes from LVC '47s, which seem to be a little tougher to wear in. My experience with my '55s is they picked up initial wear very quickly. Faded at steady pace after that, and now they've kinda flattened out. I see subtle wear showing up in new places, but the heavier spots don't seem to get deeper, exposing more white. Every Cone wears differently, and it will be interesting to see how the denim picked for this contest behaves.

Still catching up on the last 5-6 pages...

zissou- care to share some details?

I've had the pins and one of the arms snap. There's pretty much no way to fix that, and it becomes a matter of unstitching and restitching the belt to put a new buckle on. I'd only use those quick release buckles if I could find one in solid brass.

Ooooo how about a little Zissou-leather-wear sub-contest? Ehhh? How do you feel about whipping up a quick 30 sets? Hah!!

Well, I'm super busy with a large order through about mid December, but I could put something together if there was some real interest. If the pairs were numbered (e.g., 5/30), then I was going to stamp my stuff with the same numbers...I don't want to be seen as advertising on here, though!!

Well, I'm super busy with a large order through about mid December, but I could put something together if there was some real interest. If the pairs were numbered (e.g., 5/30), then I was going to stamp my stuff with the same numbers...I don't want to be seen as advertising on here, though!!

i would gladly buy one of this man's belt anytime if he had the time at all to make any!

I've had the pins and one of the arms snap. There's pretty much no way to fix that, and it becomes a matter of unstitching and restitching the belt to put a new buckle on. I'd only use those quick release buckles if I could find one in solid brass.

Whoop, sorry I meant specifics on the belt you're doing. I actually have one of those buckles that broke as well, so I wouldn't be getting another (though let me know if you find some in brass!). I was looking at the actual belt-strap in that photo

I'm intrigued. In order to save you from getting heat from the mods, want to throw out an email to everyone and see who would be interested? I'm sure a number of us would, though I guarantee it would start, from most of us (myself included) with: "what do you have in mind?"

I have a new belt from Terry in Letchworth that Mike knows all about due for completion in a couple of weeks. I think I will save that for these jeans.

Paul just buy the damn Lennons already........

I'm thinking of a Terrry. Something plain, without the sclupted lines, not superheavywieght.

And when I work out waht I can sell on eBay, okay, I'll forget my trip to Tricker's for some brogues and get the Lennons.

But it's hard, so had.

Found some more pics of the william lennons.

WilliamLennonoriginalreference.jpg

or

178lighttanpshopbig.jpg

Maybe I'll get the vegetable-tanned with a commando/Dainite sole.

detailed pics are not yet available to anyone. All that participants have seen are a couple pics of the jeans being worn by ROY. In all honesty, they would probably cause more frustration than anything as they only hint at the cut/fit, but I definitely like what I've seen so far.

Even participants are in the dark with the final design. We've taken a bit of a leap of faith.

To tell y'all the truth. I really hope we don't get detailed shots of the jeans until we receive them and then nobody post pics of their jeans until we all have them, unless someone's gets lost in the mail or something. Just the idea of opening a package with so little known of them and then exploring the jeans and seeing the little details here and there on them would be dreamy, to a denim geek anyways..

I think my chambray boxers are gonna be worn as a hat the first time.

To tell y'all the truth. I really hope we don't get detailed shots of the jeans until we receive them and then nobody post pics of their jeans until we all have them, unless someone's gets lost in the mail or something. Just the idea of opening a package with so little known of them and then exploring the jeans and seeing the little details here and there on them would be dreamy, to a denim geek anyways..

same thoughts. its currently a lot of mystery behind this which somehow gets me more excited than usual. hell, i dont even know whether theres going to be a leather patch or how long the rise is going to be and how the hardware details look like. its almost like seeing a guy off the street in a good looking pair of pants and telling your personal assistant you want that same pair (ok not really, but you get the drift). going to be a big surprise.

my my rnr, you must have a big head (no pun intended).

Highly appropriate for someone who spends so much time talking out of their arse... :)

ok payment done. now waiting for the next step. strange its called a contest and i am just happy to be part of it. never thought of winning.

the lennon look great. but i just got new red wing pecos. wonder if they fit with the roys

ok payment done. now waiting for the next step. strange its called a contest and i am just happy to be part of it. never thought of winning.

the lennon look great. but i just got new red wing pecos. wonder if they fit with the roys

Wow...this thread is growing fast...pages going past like a high speed train !

Fardin, I agree on the whole contest thing, just pleased to be part of it too, and certainly dont think about winning ( you can tell it's me first) - in fact I hope Roy6 wins (no hate to fellow contestants :) )

Also have new RW boots but 'saving' those for next autumn/winter as my caterpillars still have plenty of wear left (plus they can catch all the early indigo rub-off, saving the RW's from getting too blue too quickly)

Also have a new belt which I could break-in with the Roy's(?)

Bought it from that Crispin guy (on belts thread - guy has a shop in Camden) from his ebay shop.

And lastly, as a sort of 'ode to airfrog', gonna try wearing them for as long as poss without washing, although working outdoors means constant contact with water. May soak first though as, like all of us, I have no idea of actual fit when raw.

a closer look at the pictures and it seems there is no leather patch...at least on the pair worn by ROY

Those are a sample pair and only resemble the pair we will get. Those, I believe, don't have all the bells and whistles or the finishing touches.

Does anyone else keep getting the urge to do the Ashley Simpson SNL lip-synch hoedown dance? Everyone is talking belts, I'm on track to find some killer braces.

T, those WLs are sweet. I wonder if you can get those toecaps in that lighter orangey brown since they're made to order?

hmmm I must be the contest black sheep...woke up with an invoice from Roy and another e-mail "nudging" me to take the next step....that being said, I quickly made the payment thereafter and am trying to keep up with this thread! I'm personally down for the "no documentation until we all get them" route FWIW, and dkatz, I love the idea in your e-mail!

Does anyone else keep getting the urge to do the Ashley Simpson SNL lip-synch hoedown dance? Everyone is talking belts, I'm on track to find some killer braces.

T, those WLs are sweet. I wonder if you can get those toecaps in that lighter orangey brown since they're made to order?

I actually just picked up a nice pair of braces and I am totally planning on sewing on or installing some buttons for them on these jeans.

A belt on no suspender days would be nice too.

Those are a sample pair and only resemble the pair we will get. Those, I believe, don't have all the bells and whistles or the finishing touches.

So they still could have a crotch rivet on the finished pairs?

Looking at the pics, the back pocket rivets look to stand proud.

Will be hammering those babies down!

Highly appropriate for someone who spends so much time talking out of their arse... :)
Contrasting toe-caps are the mark of a cad and a bounder, sir!

To leap this cad with a single bound, I meant the toe cap model, not just the toe. As I forgot the proper model names, I just used generic terminology.

Not that it matters, as the ROYs have depleted my non-work clothes budget for quite awhile.