Buzz Rickson

partytaco

If anyone's got any experience with the William Gibson MA-1 compared to the L-2B I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I think the L-2B might be more appropriate for the weather here, since it never gets cold for very long.

From my understanding the L-2B is essentially the MA-1 sans the lining.

L2s are nylon windbreakers, good down to the mid to upper 40s depending on what you have on under them.  If you're just wearing  a t-shirt, figure 55 to 60.  They run large, at least the size 46 L2 and L2A I have do.  I'd expect you'd want a size 42.  Though might need a 44 for sleeve/body length since you're taller than me.  

The quilted jacket (B-15s and MA1) are very warm, and better suited to freezing temps (20 to 35 degrees).    

Thanks setterman, I think that the L2-B will be a bit more appropriate for the winters here.

Still undecided, but I've got some time to consider both jackets.  I just really like the black William Gibson models.

Cold for us is around 40 degrees, rarely gets below that for any length of time.

Although this cold front is killer.

I've given up on my military repros other than my Buzz tanker for hunting and my Buzz zip front deck jacket when it's cold and rainy in the fall or spring.  They look good, but don't do that great of a job keeping you warm.  I've switched to Eddie Bauer down and haven't looked back.  Lighter, warmer, and when bought on sale, a lot less expensive.    

Been wearing my Buzz N-1 the past week and it's been in the 20's-30's here...I'm generally a warm person and haven't had any issues with warmth so far (in fact I'm often sweating up top while my legs are cold) but I'm actually interested in seeing how it holds up with negative temperatures and wind chills, of which I'm not really hoping come soon.

You don't have to give up completely Setterman, I have a US-made Spiewak N3-B and a Schott peacoat, both of which are toasty when the mercury drops.

Oh, I have a nice down parka for when the temps drops into teens and single digits (which means I'll be wearing it tomorrow for the first time this season).  I should edit my comments to read I've given up on military jackets that are predominately cotton and/or wool.  Obviously the nylon B-15s, MA-1, N2s and N3s do well below freezing.         

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Buzz Rickson's Chambray Work/Navy shirt arrived this friday from Japan, Hinoya (via Rakuten, my favorite store!).

Its a size M and fits me perfect everywhere.

The texture of the chambray is awesome, very rough and slubby. Its fun to wear.

There are even small selvedge details, which is a blast for that price!

The only downside are the buttons, plastic I guess. They feel cheap, and look cheap...

The best part though is the collar, will def post pictures and show you what I mean and the fit!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the triple post...

sadly this thread/brand doesn't get as much attention as it deserves, at least not over here.

i am a fan of sugar cane, and so it is with buzz rickson's. and lone wolf for sure too. i like the stuff toyo enterprises does a lot, especially for the price they take.

i don't know what makes them so cheap compared to other brands (at least in japan), the pricing outside of japan is absolutely crazy.... would love to know more about their production methods, work ethics, where they source their stuff from...!

here is another picture of one of my favorite parts of the chambray (above ^^ ).

efitnqjn.jpg

Full disclosure, I want one in my size, that's why I'm bringing the subject up.   :D

HPA is contemplating ordering this jacket in size 46R for the fall.  

https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/buzz-ricksons-usnusmc/buzz-rickson-u-s-navy-blue-n-1-heavy-deck-jacket-non-stenciled-hpa-edition/

Anyone else interested in that size, please let them know.  I recently picked up one of the standard khaki models and I'm super pleased with it.  But, would like to get a bigger, heavier one for the dead of winter.  Not that the standard one hasn't been warm in our subzero weather, but I think that's in part to two months of below freezing temps, and a lot of days well below zero.  I've gotten used to the cold.  If I'd been wearing the standard one back in December when the cold first hit, it probably wouldn't seem as warm to me.         

Crappy photo but I just got my chambray in, quite nice!

Went for an XL and sizing is just right, not too tight in the chest or too long either.

Glad I finally found a shirt outside of Gitman Vintage that fits me right.

ctT9uy9.jpg