Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

• 2 weeks later...

The postings here on the Roys have been very helpful, so I thought I’d relay my own experience, as I’m an uncommon 35†waist.

So after 2+ years of watching the Roy phenomenon grow, and missing out on Roy’s first moratorium in June ’10, and missing out on some quick inventory sell-outs at Self Edge, I finally was able to get my arse into a pair of Roys this week – RS04.

If Roy made a 35†tagged waist, that would be my size. There is no 35, so I had to decide between the 36 and the 34. I was going to just order the 36 for fear of making an expensive mistake on the small size, but I was able to get out of work early on Monday so I headed over to SENY.

The 36, when tried on, were pretty big on me. The waist wasn’t crazy big (SE lists it as 37.3) but I was a bit concerned that the thighs and knee area wouldn’t shrink down enough. The 34 waist was a 35.5 pre-soak, which was approx .5/.75 inch bit big on me. Decided on the 34 waist, and was told that a cold soak, for just 10 mins, would get most of the shrink out.

Here’s the measurements, pre and post soak:

Pre:

Waist: 35.5

Rise: 12.25

Thigh: 12.5

Knee: 9.5

Leg Opening: 9.5

Length: 38

Waist: 34

Rise: 11.25

Thigh: 12

Knee: 8.75

Leg Opening: 8.5

Length: 34.75

For just a 10 minute cold soak, I’m surprised how much these shrunk down, but Kiya had warned me.

Seems that most folks are saying that additional soaks yield minimal shrinkage. If I do another cold soak, it would just be for 10 mins again. Would you guys recommend? I’d eventually like to get these hemmed to a 31.5

Thanks to Kiya and the SE guys in NY for all of their help!

Edited by sazon

@sazon: i don't own roys (yet!) but i do have 8 or 9 pairs of raw LVCs which use unsanforized cone denim.. what i can tell you is this, the first soak indeed gets 80/90% shrinkage out of the way, however the subsequent 3/4 washes will continue the shrinking process (especially if first soak was cold). however, as discussed with length in these forums, there are ways to get raw denim to yield a perfect fit. when a raw pair is close to your true size, wearing it in the tub (ideal method) or wearing it as it's drying will guarantee a pair doesn't over shrink. if you're not comfortable doing that you can also pull the waist to stretch it while damp & always hang dry. this information probably comes a bit late as you've already soaked them, but maybe useful for the future ;-)

Haven't seen any wear pictures on original Roys so here are mine.

DSC_7426.jpg

DSC_7433.jpg

DSC_7427.jpg

DSC_7428.jpg

This is around 6 months of effective wear.

...bored/heat wave. glad to see my og roys found a proper home! are you still wearing em or are they retired?

i grab'd the RN04 today sz 31(ive lost about 35lbs)

2jzfqr.jpg

Wearing in the tub is great for the waist, but nothing helps the thighs - they shrink to skin tight and then stay there.

It sucks but this is why I don't wear my Roys. I even sized up 1 (OG) and they are tighter on me than other TTS jeans.

Probably not quite the same. I'm not sure about this pair, but most of Roy's earlier jeans were made with stock Cone denim and the latest run is from a custom made Cone denim. It seems most Cone denims have similar fading qualities though so it will still be similar.

hey adh, where did you get the logger buttons from?

Vance, its the narrow cut. im a string bean now! sucks because i was always harsh on roy for being too slim, and now im in his narrow cut! hahah they are slim, but not at all tight.

Nice to see you 'round, Vin! Let's see some fit pics, homey!

Vance, its the narrow cut. im a string bean now! sucks because i was always harsh on roy for being too slim, and now im in his narrow cut! hahah they are slim, but not at all tight.

Vincent! Thanks for the info indeed. In the market for new denims asap. Slim in the thighs? Don't want slim thighs. What you been doing to loose the weight?