What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

so Tuggs tavern is a sweet bar right on the not busy side of Minneapolis downtown, on "old" main street. its a brick paved road with some really great spots on it. in fact, i had my wedding reception next door to here in an old warehouse...(now i live in a warehouse, i'm really redundant, huh?)

4785788372_36fccc344b_z.jpg

so I had a Shocktop, the wife had a cider, and we shared a basket of cheese fries while watching the sun set over the city.

4785788582_219782ef7f_z.jpg

4785788798_aa3d178ce7_z.jpg

before........

4785154309_aaf686973b_b.jpg

30second exposure of the small bridge out of downtown, the big one is up the road a bit and I didn't wander up that far. this is taken right across the street from the restaurant.

4785155185_12efbc36f4_b.jpg

facing the other direction towards the Guthrie theater

4785155599_aac6fa6a5f_b.jpg

after. have a good night sufu.

4785789302_77ef296e81_b.jpg

-Z- you are a paradigm of talent being far more important that equipment... my hat off, sir...

before........

4785154309_aaf686973b_b.jpg

30second exposure of the small bridge out of downtown, the big one is up the road a bit and I didn't wander up that far. this is taken right across the street from the restaurant.

4785155185_12efbc36f4_b.jpg

after. have a good night sufu.

4785789302_77ef296e81_b.jpg

THIS mr. -Z- is fucking awesome...Much kudos for your work and jealousy fire for the place you're living at ;)...

Last night my jeans hurried home quickly from a crowded bar during the World Cup, after reports of bombs going off at two crowded bars in different places around town.

Right now sounds like ~60-80 people killed, including at least four Americans. I'm pretty sure I've checked in with all of my friends and colleagues and it sounds like all are okay. I'm scared to hear who the Americans killed were, since it's a pretty damn small community here so there's a good chance I know them.

Things seem stable, if subdued, today, and both my home and office are in pretty safe areas.

Ugh, not the World Cup finale I was looking for.

hey -Z-

do you have a bigger size in the 30 second exp. cityscape? im asking for it to be my background!

I have full resolution original size versions on my flickr. the link is in my signature. all of these are up there in full resolution. lemme know if you don't find it and i'll just copy paste the link for you. thanks for the interest, rep, and comments all. :D

***on a more somber note. stay safe dkatz. hope everyone you know over there is in good health after a terrible night, and hopefully those responsible for these acts are brought to swift justice.***

WORLD CUP IN SPAIN! It was both a fantastic, exciting, scary, and embarrasing.

Catalunya Subway station

4786404415_28d31b92f6.jpg

Everybody arriving to watch the match

4786406077_80e6eb3356.jpg

We arrived 1.5 hours early so we could get close to the screen, it was reported on the news that night that there were 70,000 people in the plaza

4787045306_84bfeb1c0d.jpg

This was my fifth, this is when things started getting weird

4787046686_51f6c39338.jpg

4787047382_c15092fc4f.jpg

4787048054_59cf7fb603.jpg

4786417749_94692bb6f0.jpg

4787049004_83f306470f.jpg

4786418673_66c0b527b4.jpg

AFter chugging a portion of the communal bottle of vodka my night took a bad turn, a slightly more sober friend took my camera and my wallet and i went and found somewhere to sit...Next thing i knew it was dark and i missed a huge chunk of the game, i saw the goal being scored and than blanked out again.

When i woke up i realized that my SG1105 had gotten covered in dirt and the arcs were gone on one pocket and the thing was tearing

4787049940_333bbb9aec.jpg

great pictures mr -z-, glad you made a purchase for that lens. pity i can't rep though, so nice words will have to suffice.

dkatz, thats tough, you stay safe man and i do hope everyone you is safe as well. its sad when things like this have to happen. people watching a match and things just happening. terrible world we live in.

Last night my jeans hurried home quickly from a crowded bar during the World Cup, after reports of bombs going off at two crowded bars in different places around town.

Right now sounds like ~60-80 people killed, including at least four Americans. I'm pretty sure I've checked in with all of my friends and colleagues and it sounds like all are okay. I'm scared to hear who the Americans killed were, since it's a pretty damn small community here so there's a good chance I know them.

Things seem stable, if subdued, today, and both my home and office are in pretty safe areas.

Ugh, not the World Cup finale I was looking for.

just heard it on the radio.first they mentioned uganda,than kampala-around 70 victims, at least one american got killed-my first reaction was to check sufu and see if youre allright.

I am relieved that you are!

just heard it on the radio.first they mentioned uganda,than kampala-around 70 victims, at least one american got killed-my first reaction was to check sufu and see if youre allright.

I am relieved that you are!

Seconded. Glad you're OK, so sorry to hear about those that aren't.

Today my jeans and I are raising a glass to rnrswitch and Mrs.Switch.

Congratulations.

Who would have though you could keep a fine woman like that clubbed into submission for six long years (and counting)?

4736382956_7ec78eb447_b.jpg

congrats from me and little almostnice.

we raise our icecreams!

4735831987_d325031896.jpg

I told the nipper you were a nice guy and your wife was lucky! (Little white lies are ok with kids...).

He's drinking ginger beer, I'm on the whisky. I think I've got that the right way round.

Have a great day...

cheersz.jpg

Haha, just saw this. I am actually surprised I could beat her into submission, but some girls just never learn... right? Poor girls just don't know what is good for them.

Paul, that ain't no white lie, that is a bold faced lie... maybe not. I am a softy and I think the old lady has more cojones than I do.

Anyways, thanks y'all for the warm wishes. Everything just seems "right" now. I can call her my wife without feeling like I am lying to people even though we have been practically married since the conception of my son 4.5 years ago.

Thanks a ton for the well-wishes, guys. Thought I've not had the pleasure of making your acquaintances in person, I do feel part of a community here. It's quite touching to know there are people around the world whose thoughts were with me, my friends and colleagues, and those unknown Ugandans whose lives are being affected by this... bullshit.

Funny that the order of my reaction was along the lines of:

1. check in with all of my friends in Uganda

2. talk to my parents

3. check the news

4. put up a facebook status and WAYJDT post. Hah!

Funfortunately one of the bombs damaged the fiber optic cable of my ISP, so internet's pretty fucked right now. Terrorists are real assholes.

And congrats, rnr!!

Sunday, before the terrorists ruined my day:

IMG_1560.jpg

Tellasons sat crumpled on the floor of my bedroom while my reflective thighs soaked up some sun

Yesterday, after hearing that Mulago hospital was in pretty desperate need, a colleague and I headed to Nakasero Blood Bank:

IMG_1564.jpg

I was a bit disappointed to see we were the only two people there donating at the time. Apparently some other friends stopped by at other points in the day, though.

And today I finally found somewhere with decent internet (though probably not the safest place to be - firing off some emails then I'm out) and was able to download a state department doc about the attacks. Some pictures:

Ethiopian Village restaurant in Kabalagala, where the first bomb went off

EthiopianVillagePostBombed.jpg

Where I live, relative to the two bombing locations:

Kla%20map%20dkatz.jpg

I pass Kyadondo pretty much every day on my way to work, but you can see my neighborhood is fairly well removed.

today i went for along for a ride while my step father delivered a mark one zephyr he had sold.

zephyr.jpg

we stopped to have a look at the ruahine ranges across the rangatiikei valley

ruahine.jpg

after a quick stop in waiouru

waiouru.jpg

we continued on to tokaroa to drop off the car and pick up some new treasures.

on the way back down ruapehu was covered in cloud

ruapehu.jpg

we watched the last light fall across the kaimanawa ranges

kaimanawa.jpg

Hopped on a plane to Tenerife, Spain.

foto-8-1.jpg

And went to the El Teide, a vulcanic mountain with a peak of ± 3700mtr (±12.000 feet).

At the beginning

DSCF0680.jpg

Half way, you can see the clowd-deck

DSCF0674.jpg

DSCF0676.jpg

Close to the top:

DSCF0684.jpg

DSCF0686.jpg

DSCF0689.jpg

Finally, at ± 3500 mtr

DSCF0692.jpg

DSCF0693.jpg

The top is full of these vulcanic stone. Mind you, it's freaking cold at 12.000ft. Didn't thought about it,since it was 30+C at sea level, but I'm standing in shorts 'n shirt freezing my ass off.

DSCF0703.jpg

DSCF0700.jpg

Went back t0 the appartment, seeing the sun go down

DSCF0670.jpg

DSCF0705.jpg

And enjoyed a nice glass of wine a the beach with the misses

DSCF0732.jpg

Sweet pics holleman! And I really like the sunset shots hap!

Pretty ordinary day today, but I got an unpleasant surprise this morning. I took the pups over to one of the trails we like to hike, and encountered this:

227446d0.jpg

Another pic of Hogweed:

cdecb0c2.jpg

The sap of this stuff can cause unbelievably bad burns. Just so that Dkatz is not alone with his gross-out pics, here's a shot of what Hogweed sap can do to ya:

ff372333.jpg

So now major parts of the trails we like to hike are not accessible. I'm going to have to call the municipality & find out what they're going to do about it...

So we headed home earlier than usual, and the pups had a run in the yard. Note their summer cuts! :D

79a5caac.jpg

Rufus is a big baby & likes to cuddle! :)

e3a0372d.jpg

Some random shots as we headed home from the walk

c02bdf2e.jpg

0902a2a4.jpg

fb7b6389.jpg

Sorry about the hogweed . We used to have that all over when I was a kid in yorkshire, added to the thrill of going out in the country. (and now u know why I never post my face on sufu...)

seriously , though, barring the trails is a ludicrous over-reaction. Those were a very popular Victorian garden plant; they're quite beautiful...

Dull day untill the evening, a protest went by the house im staying in and i followed it for a while. They were protesting eviction in my neighborhood. THe neighborhood is the closest non touristy area to the center of the city and the proposed eviction of residents to build hotels etc. met with great protest.

4794541500_e75152dae0.jpg

This shot was very difficult to take as they were trying to prevent people from taking photos of spray-painters. (excuse the blur)

4793910865_82d5aeaa53.jpg

4793912097_029fc2ed50.jpg

Didnt realize what this was and got way to close

4794546308_8b0fe5c5a0.jpg

4793914033_e3ff56ed24.jpg

The protest went on to one of the main streets in barcelona that feeds into la plaza espana, the police were freeking out trying to get cars of the street

4794549254_2ac8db732a.jpg

4793918175_da456eef20.jpg

4794553658_44b4667223.jpg

4794555638_115b88a523.jpg

The other day I blew off my radiator cap and the piece it screws onto (see top right where the silver ring is, there should be a small round piece sticking up to attach the cap), so today I tried to remove the radiator and thermostat (see below the radiator, down and left). After two hours of prying and banging I gave up.

cameraphotos252.jpg

Quick waywt (dirty edition): Supreme, surplus, RRL, Vans

cameraphotos253.jpg

After that I found an old iron on from one of my dad's Iron Horse magazines, circa 1980, and put it on a shirt. Surprised it worked!

cameraphotos254.jpg

Too muddy to play outside today.

cameraphotos255.jpg

Took advantage of the muddy yard and made a terrarium home for my baby box turtle that I found on a job site. He was about to be covered in concrete so I saved him and brought him home all the way from Virginia.

cameraphotos256.jpg

cameraphotos257.jpg

the other day me and my apc ns did some arts and crafts

first we drew a design on some fuseable webbing

00tiki.jpg

then we stuck it to the back of some grey drill

00tiki1.jpg

then we cut out the shape

00tiki2.jpg

then we stuck it to an old woolen blanket

00tiki3.jpg

then we traced out all the other bits and stuck and cut them

00tiki4.jpg

then we stuck them to the blanket as well

00tiki5.jpg

then we top stitched them all down

00tiki6.jpg

and now we have a tiki on a blanket

00tiki7.jpg we still have to give it a hand and sew a backing on it to hang over my flatmates stairs

Went on a hike at Multnomah Falls, on the Larch Mtn. Trail, today with a friend. Beautiful part of Oregon; I am already looking forward to my next trip.

4794722403_2787fe7666.jpg

4794722755_784e567cab.jpg

4795356482_f018f74a68.jpg