Rising Sun & Co

Turntabloid

hehe, how are the free suspenders working out rnr?

well, it pains me but I'll probably sell my duck ranch jacket (size small); its just not working for me. pm me if interested

That's too bad. Did the sleeves get too short, or was it just the waist? Because a short waist can be quite sharp. Slap on a ig thick belt, and you've got instant gunslinger.

both waist and sleeves are just too short for my liking, i haven't given these a soak yet since it would shrink them even more

no gunslinging around this part of the world; gunlaws are pretty strict here

called the shop yesterday and had a chat with a friendly chap Crosby. He informed that the Engineer jacket and the Blacksmiths are the next to get stock/restock. It'll be a possible 6 weeks for more of the Ranch Hand if you are interested. I'm bummed, I think this will be perfect for late February here, but pleases because there will be restock. Thought had missed the train.

I stopped by Rising Sun yesterday afternoon for the first time. Didn't realize that the shop would be closed for Inspiration. Unfortunately, I had to walk away empty-handed and disappointed. Fortunately, my pocketbook is still intact. The shop looks really cool and my ladyfriend was glad to see some women's pieces on display. The shop is smaller than it seems in photographs. Excited to return sometime if I can make the trip from Santa Barbara again.

^^^^^^^^^^ That seriously sucks. I remember last year after inspiration LA there was a huge party at Rising Sun.

Anyways, I was able to drop by the shop about a week ago and decided to take some pics. Crosby's a cool cat and i was in the shop for like 2.5 hours shooting the shit. Picked up some free vintage dutch suspenders for just rolling in the shop with my deadgrass pants on.

Pics of the Blacksmith:

001mediuml.jpg

005medium.jpg

002mediumz.jpg

003medium.jpg

004medium.jpg

006medium.jpg

008medium.jpg

My personal favorite the one piece fly

010medium.jpg

007mediumq.jpg

I took pictures of this pant even though it isn't denim. I believe they will be releasing this pant in a denim and call it the WPA pants. I saw a pair in denim at inspiration LA and they looked great. These are an almost army green herringbone.

025medium.jpg

026medium.jpg

027medium.jpg

028medium.jpg

The engineer jacket. They said they need to do a couple modifications to the pattern as the back fits a little tighter than it should, but this should be out soon.

This is obviously a washed version.

029mediumm.jpg

035medium.jpg

030medium.jpg

033mediumc.jpg

031medium.jpg

032medium.jpg

034medium.jpg

Looking great. They've really upped their game. I like the duck detailing on the Blacksmith, and the high watch pocket and front dungaree pockets on the duck pants.

Are they all based on historic originals, or re-imagined?

And is their denim still Sanforized?

For me, it's the duck and herringbone items that look really exciting; they should do the WPA in a 2x1 denim, too - I'm sure Cone would be able to supply that without hassle from Levi's.

I like the jacket, but they need to find a better laundry.

all those pants have been out awhile already i believe; i think like at least a year or two?

I believe they are inspired by vintage pieces but not actual repros

best piece imo is their Neustadter duck pants; love at first sight but she's so expensive

Looking great. They've really upped their game. I like the duck detailing on the Blacksmith, and the high watch pocket and front dungaree pockets on the duck pants.

Are they all based on historic originals, or re-imagined?

And is their denim still Sanforized?

For me, it's the duck and herringbone items that look really exciting; they should do the WPA in a 2x1 denim, too - I'm sure Cone would be able to supply that without hassle from Levi's.

I like the jacket, but they need to find a better laundry.

I believe he does have access to 2x1 denim, because that is what the engineer jacket is constructed of. Most denim is still sanforized, but I believe he plans on bringing in some unsanforized denim from Japan.

About the washing, they don't typically wash any items unless a company wants them washed, like the orvis worker pants

I saw some new duck stuff at Inspiration LA that they are working on including a matching jacket and jeans. All single needle with some really intricate needle-work.

Hodis also found about 1000yds of deadstock wabash dot-striped duck. I am pretty excited to see what he comes up with for those. I would love the get the worker pant in the duck wabash fabric.

all those pants have been out awhile already i believe; i think like at least a year or two?

Yes, this is true. I really wanted to get some good photos of their stuff up here. I feel like their website is really lacking when it comes to detail of their clothing.

Thanks for the photos, Switch. The engineer jacket is great looking. Glad you shared the photos of the WPA pants - didn't even know those existed...seems like something a little different.

I wish they gave a shit about people in the US who don't live in CA knowing about their clothes. I have also had trouble getting them to pick up the phone in the store or return messages left during their business hours...but I guess when your competitors like Stronghold are even worse then you don't have much to worry about and there is always the Japanese market to keep the cash register ringing.

I know what you mean glimmertwins. Hodis is almost never in the shop, but now that they got this new cat Crosby, I think customer service is looking up a bit. I have also had issues not getting a call back and emails not replied to.

Fortunately for Rising Sun I am not a stickler about customer service. My wife on the other hand would have written them off a long time ago.

Also, you could try calling on the week days in the middle of the day. I know they don't get much foot traffic and your chances are a bit better at getting somebody to pick up.

i called them during a week day and phone was picked up immediately. Customer service was very good imo (I had Crosby on the phone) , emails before and after the call were also swiftly replied to.

...ya, I'm not bitter about it. I love my duck workers and will own more of their pieces in the future. I just find it poor business that they wouldn't call someone back who explicitly leaves a message on their answering machine that they are ready to drop $400+ dollars on their clothes - and that's after calling the shop 3 times in the middle of their day during the week and not getting a response. I ended up dropping dough on some cordo Aldens and those Context/Momotaro collabs for now so Rising Sun will have to wait till my wife isn't looking again. She's on high alert right now.

I'm actually more upset they didn't return Switch's calls. After dropping all that money on the Neustadters, Hodis should give you the number to his personal rotary cell phone.

I would suggest calling A-B Fits in SF for inquiries relating to Rising Sun, as well. They may be the only store other than Rising Sun that knows about their garments in detail. They have much more inventory at the store than their online presence would suggest.

• 2 weeks later...
I stopped by Rising Sun yesterday afternoon for the first time. Didn't realize that the shop would be closed for Inspiration. Unfortunately, I had to walk away empty-handed and disappointed. Fortunately, my pocketbook is still intact. The shop looks really cool and my ladyfriend was glad to see some women's pieces on display. The shop is smaller than it seems in photographs. Excited to return sometime if I can make the trip from Santa Barbara again.

Did you at least go to Inspiration after driving all that way?

Did you at least go to Inspiration after driving all that way?

I didn't go to Inspiration.

I had taken the day off of work and took my old lady for an all day date in socal so the plan was Rising Sun, then a stroll through Pasadena. I didn't want to dominate the whole date and drag her to Inspiration to satisfy my clothing fetish. In the end we enjoyed some ice cream at KindKreme and she agreed to accompany me for another trip to Rising Sun in the future.

I'll be back soon, I hope.

What wabash cloth are you speaking of? I saw a couple that they have. They have some really cool deadstock wabash duck, where the duck has been discharged in a dotted striped pattern and then I saw a chambray that had been discharged in a dotted striped pattern as well. I have not seen a traditional wabash type fabric at Rising Sun though.

They currently aren't making an garments out of the duck or chambray wabash stuff (last I checked anyway), but there was a really nice shirt they had at Inspiration which was a conductor-style shirt, but with some nice little twists and alterations.

I like that Rising Sun makes vintage inspired clothing, but not exact replicas (except for the deadgrass stuff of course). Hodis has seen quite a bit of vintage clothing and he mixes and matches features really well. It doesn't look like everything else out there.

I dropped off my jeans to get them hemmed at Rising Sun last Friday. They told me that they could be done by Monday, but more likely Tuesday or Wednesday. It's now Friday and I haven't gotten a call from them. I called them twice yesterday a bit after 12 and around 4 and they didn't answer either time. Today I called at 2 and they didn't answer again. Any ideas why they don't answer their phone?

Also, I've read somewhere on this forum and also on yelp that sometimes they take an extra week or two to hem jeans. If that's the case, I would probably go to the store in the next couple of days and take my jeans back and go somewhere else that actually cares about their customers, or pretends to.