home-made jeans

rodeo bill

Search estate sales in your area, hopefully some old granny will kick it and leave you something like [url=]http://cgi.ebay.com/Singer-Sewing-Machine-Model-15-91-GEAR-DRIVE-MOTOR_W0QQitemZ160327646600QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160327646600&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50 this[/url] which is basically a mini industrial machine. The stitches should be beautiful.

Keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...
have you ever heard of constructive criticism?

bitchassness is boring

constructive criticism? sure:

his sewing isn't straight

the back pockets look legitimately terrible

the fly looks odd

the two front pockets look euro-trashy

the white button just looks bad.

the addition of the side of the knee pocket is an unsightly addition. The only people that should wear those are elementary schoolers. In the 90's.

in fewer words, these look fucking terrible.

constructive criticism? sure:

his sewing isn't straight

the back pockets look legitimately terrible

the fly looks odd

the two front pockets look euro-trashy

the white button just looks bad.

the addition of the side of the knee pocket is an unsightly addition. The only people that should wear those are elementary schoolers. In the 90's.

in fewer words, these look fucking terrible.

"Constructive criticism, or constructive analysis, is a

compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism. Having higher experience, gifts, respect, knowledge in specific field and being able to verbally convince at the same time, this person is intending to uplift the other person materially, morally, emotionally or spiritually. For high probability in succeeding compassionate criticism, the critic has to be in some kind of healthy personal relationship with the other one, which is normally a parent to child, friend to friend, teacher to student, spouse to spouse or any kind of recognized authority in specific field."

DoingItWrong.jpg

Hey all, here's the new thread about my project I hinted at a while ago.

Also, mini tutorial on hidden rivets.

I suffered like hell for a long time trying to figure out hidden rivets on my own so I never posted this. miznations awesome thread about jeans making already blew the spot so I thought I'd clear it up.

Double up your seam allowance on the outside edges, cut down to make flaps.

DSCF0007-4.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Topstich the top of your pocket, leaving the tabs.

Photo7.jpg

Bartack right where the flaps meet the main body of the pocket, lined up however you want the pockets on the back panel.

Photo8.jpg

Rivets in (note these rivets are way way to close to the outside edge, I had to redo them)

Photo10.jpg

Flip, press, sew it down, pray that you don't hit the rivet and throw your machine out of time.

Photo11.jpg

Enjoy.

Hey guys this is my attempt at jeans.

I used some cheap raw denim I found at the fabric store I work at, hoping to get my hands on some nicer stuff later on.

This is only the second pair I've ever made so there ARE obvious flaws, forgive me.

5172_94329764303_514159303_1786970_.jpg

5172_94329789303_514159303_1786974_.jpg

5172_94329784303_514159303_1786973_.jpg

These are before the beltloops were put on

5172_94329804303_514159303_1786976_.jpg

5172_94329809303_514159303_1786977_.jpg

5172_94329824303_514159303_1786980_.jpg

Modeled by my coworker. He's a guy fyi.

Looks wicked good.

I just rescued this machine, runs like a tank. This is the perfect machine for denim if anybody is looking to start making jeans.

3536328783_13ab4d21de.jpg

3537143832_9e7101c9d2.jpg

$75 if anybody is interested, comes with cabinet. I can ship without the cabinet if you're willing to make yourself a little stand out of 2x4's. If you're close or inbetween to Cleveland or Syracuse I'll drop it off.

Vintage. If you can only have one machine, get something like this.

DSCF0002_7.jpg

If you can, get out a screw driver and check the internals on anything you buy. You want metal internal bits, not nylon like most new machines. You really only need straight stitch and zigzag/button hole. All other stitches are pretty much gimmicks, so don't let them distract you. Check estate sales, craigslist and garage sales for old machines like these. The one above had obviously never been used when I bought it, and I still use it for little stuff.

Edit, also,

a) make sure you oil and clean whatever machine you have. This is way easier than it sounds, ask the hardware store guy about the oil, and just put a drop of oil on anything that touches another internal part.

B) If you pick up a machine at Salvation Army or used or whatever and it need service, get it done at a shop that primarily does industrial machines. It will be cheaper than home sewing stores (most of whom will take it to the industrial places anyways and pocket the difference).

c) while you're at the industrial place, don't be afraid to ask if they have any used and beat to shit industrials. They're not that expensive used, and will make a stitch infinitely better than any domestic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hell Yeah. Props man. Could be a little more refined, but lookin good. What denim and where did you get the buttons.

I have found a website that sells rivets/buttons in small quantities, like 100 if you need that.

Did you piece together the denim on the waist band?

i just emailed a china mil and got 4 yards 14 oz sample for like 40 bucks included shipping... this is my first try and i know that lots of stuff went wrong but im still pleased except for the waistband... got the buttons from my brothers store they are replace butons for Wesc jeans... just hammered them on.

Yea would like to order some other buttons and rivets! Link the page!

yea the waist band got too short when i cut it and i ended up having to make a piece in the back. its not soo pretty but i have bought cone mills denim for my next pair wich will be much more refined!

FWIW I'd go with Premium Denim Outlet in the future. I think my order was $70 shipped next day (or was it 2-day?) for 10yds of Cone yellow selvedge (13/13.5 oz iirc?). I need to get a new machine in order to work on a new pair (my old machine wasn't powerful enough for a lot of pieces so the end product looked like shit)