supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

UCB arch.  Undergrad is pretty new and from what I've experienced really doesn't have any standards for its students' work

I was thinking about switching out and probably will apply for transfer but going into fashion really isn't much of a step up in terms of economic prospects (+ have to spend an extra year in school)

At this point just trying to grad with the arch degree (too late to switch, really) and some useful minor hoping education in a design discipline will be useful.  Then  maybe do a 2 yr program over at FIT.

Don't really know wtf I'm gonna do.

as invincible said, Cal's program is quite old and well-known. don't really know what you're implying, as it is a solid program imo. standards vary from professor to professor, school to school, company to company. design is subjective so it's something you're going to have to deal with.

switch out while you can. you are clearly dissatisfied. architecture is truly a labor of love; all the hours you're going to put into it will only feel worthwhile if you're passionate about it. if you apply that same amount of work you've been doing in arch + the drive of what you really want to do, it'll all work out. it's never too late.

you're at cal?

there's a lot of gwop to be got over there.

Probably @ Haas and in the CS/Engineering department

you cant be at CAL if youre saying their undergrad is "pretty new". Their cal program (both undergrad and CAL) has been there for ages. It's like the best you can get in the West Coast if you want a B.A. Otherwise it's CalPoly Slo.

But getting back to your dilemma, I wouldn't stick with something that you don't have any interest that doesn't pay well. I would go with fashion if that's what you're truly passionate about despite its financial stability. Do what you like and the money will come, mayng.  

as invincible said, Cal's program is quite old and well-known. don't really know what you're implying, as it is a solid program imo. standards vary from professor to professor, school to school, company to company. design is subjective so it's something you're going to have to deal with.

switch out while you can. you are clearly dissatisfied. architecture is truly a labor of love; all the hours you're going to put into it will only feel worthwhile if you're passionate about it. if you apply that same amount of work you've been doing in arch + the drive of what you really want to do, it'll all work out. it's never too late.

It's really only through word of mouth that I've come to learn that the undergrad CED program here is relatively "new."  Not too sure as to when it was actually founded so I may be wrong.  I have no doubt that the graduate program is impeccable and at the top of its niche field in green design but the undergrad has gone through 3 major course requirement changes within the past 3 years (meaning graduates of classes of 2015-2017 are all taking completely different upper div studios) which does make me think that the people behind the program don't know entirely what they're doing yet.  That and it's not a 5 year professional program like Cal-Poly.

I will take your insights into account though.  Everything is still very up in the air and I am definitely going to apply for transfer this coming semester.

I got put into overflow housing, far away from where my GEs are.  

One of my roommates doesn't appear to have a facebook or a cell phone either.  

At least I kinda got my classes.  Kinda. Plus the overflow housing was renovated in 2010 which is dope

Edited by CosmicAsininity

the people behind the program don't know entirely what they're doing yet

Berkeley has, historically, been a fantastic program - both grad and undergrad. One of our summer interns (going into her senior year at UCB) was trying to explain all the turmoil that's been going on as of late - change in directorship, realignment of curriculum, etc...seems like it's been quite stressful on the CED student body-

FWIW, CED was one of the biggest proponents of the 4+2 system (wayyyy back in the 60's, so ain't a matter of immaturity of the undergrad program) - and I'd assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that the particular sequencing of their programs still has a lot to do with that idea.

Some notable graduates in there ;)

Edited by Appleseed

Berkeley has, historically, been a fantastic program - both grad and undergrad. One of our summer interns (going into her senior year at UCB) was trying to explain all the turmoil that's been going on as of late - change in directorship, realignment of curriculum, etc...seems like it's been quite stressful on the CED student body-

FWIW, CED was one of the biggest proponents of the 4+2 system (wayyyy back in the 60's, so ain't a matter of immaturity of the undergrad program) - and I'd assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that the particular sequencing of their programs still has a lot to do with that idea.

Some notable graduates in there ;)

that explains a lot.  As said before I never really knew the concrete details so this stuff is all welcomed information

I suppose all my qualms just extend from the fact that I don't have a passion for the field so I'll just stop bitching now and just try and find more opportunities to do what I want to do.

lol i find it funny that the pre-req for those courses is probably tougher than the upper level courses

i would do web server languages.

from my outsider perspective, it seems like a lot of people are looking for "full stack" . don't sleep on anything

Seems like Tom Buresh is still chair - bet hes changing the game up to be like Taubman College

lol i find it funny that the pre-req for those courses is probably tougher than the upper level courses

i would do web server languages.

from my outsider perspective, it seems like a lot of people are looking for "full stack" . don't sleep on anything

if you go into databases with some business background you can make good money managing/designing Oracle systems.

but if youre balls deep in love with coding (i am not), go with languages.

• 2 weeks later...

don't know anybody that got hurt 

tbh I think more students were just pissed that power/campus wifi went out, some happy midterms got cancelled.

I thought this whole thing was kinda of a strangely/weirdly exciting thing even though I had to carry my bike down 5 stories, studio got closed, and the library was shut down when I have a case study plan/section due tomorrow.

I guess that just shows how sluggish my life has been lately lol...

I'm a bit frustrated about readings

I've been doing all of them, yet the professor and TAs just end up highlighting everything that was important about them in lecture

if you get the same information from your prof and TA's as you would spending time doing the reading, just skim through the readings before lecture. unless your exams will consist of tricksy obscure questions on the readings. you're doing just fine though! make friends in your classes and make a googledoc to post notes on readings/lectures. just don't do it with slackers.

i've been a bum about classes lately, i'm definitely not being challenged enough here. also all my classes are once a week which is weird as fuck. i'm gonna try and see if i can do research at the language labs here though, that might be kind of rad.

Are on campus with a friend, we ordered some coffee and desert. The place served coffee in a tea pot; it didn't feel right. Plus the coffee sucked.

cosmicinsanity, the Bistro at The Village is only okay. What classes are you taking? And lol the fashion society is a joke.

Edited by tacotron

if you get the same information from your prof and TA's as you would spending time doing the reading, just skim through the readings before lecture. unless your exams will consist of tricksy obscure questions on the readings. you're doing just fine though! make friends in your classes and make a googledoc to post notes on readings/lectures. just don't do it with slackers.

i've been a bum about classes lately, i'm definitely not being challenged enough here. also all my classes are once a week which is weird as fuck. i'm gonna try and see if i can do research at the language labs here though, that might be kind of rad.

What exactly is your major and what is it that you want to do after graduation?

I was a science major who was taking a bunch of hard science classes. I never found most liberal arts classes like history interesting. Because I had a bunch of extracurricular activites in addition to the heavy courseload plus the need to squeeze some partying here and there (English being my second language didn't help), I barely had any time to read. Having to read 100 to 150 pages over a couple of days for each class was overwhelming.

I did a little bit of reasearch and came across enotes. Total game changer. It's a subscription based website that has chapter summaries, character analysis, and pretty much anything you want to know about a book. Not only do they have info on books that are commonly read e.g. Shakespeare,.they cover an extensive variety of novels and nonfictions. i think it's like 7 dollars a month if you get an annual membership. It's very much worth it.

If GPA is not all you care about and you actually want to read the material, then go ahead, I guess?

Also, every collge student needs to learn how to use electronic reference programs. i have always used endnote. saves a lot of time. most decent college library has tutoring sessions for endnote. take advantage of it.

Edited by herpsky