supercollegelife: funny facts, rant, photos, help, stuff...

freecat

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm headed to UCSD this fall.  Considering how many bad things i've heard about it (Triton Eye, UC Socially Dead) it was a bit of a disappointing choice for me. I got into USC (couldn't afford, 64k a year, fuck that) and was waitlisted at UCLA.

"college is what we make of it" but i can't help but feel a bit bummed.  Oh well.  Just gonna look for people to chill with.  i have no doubts there are plenty.

anybody have things to say about it?  

Edited by CosmicAsininity

UCSD is probably gonna be better than you think to be honest. I went with a few friends of mine to check out one of their brothers new place in March and the parties there were pretty fun, lot of hot girls there for sure, but the same can be said about a lot of schools. If you meet the right people, you'll have a good time no matter where you go though, but being in SD is definitely pretty cool. Great weather, really easy to find stuff to do.

WVU increased its tuition and fees by 6% because they got funding cut by the state AND they are expanding the campus by 40 million dollars, giving the football coach a pay raise, and are the president is getting his ANNUAL raise. I won't have the extra money I usually get for books and living expenses now, and the lil money I saved from work this summer to rent an apartment will have to cover that. I fucking hate this school right now

Yea. I'm pissed at my reps as well. Also, the idea to give the football coach a raise came after the budget cuts. I think the development deal did as well. Apparently our president is looking at going to another school, so hopefully we can get something better.

i'm headed to UCSD this fall.  Considering how many bad things i've heard about it (Triton Eye, UC Socially Dead) it was a bit of a disappointing choice for me. I got into USC (couldn't afford, 64k a year, fuck that) and was waitlisted at UCLA.

"college is what we make of it" but i can't help but feel a bit bummed.  Oh well.  Just gonna look for people to chill with.  i have no doubts there are plenty.

One of my high school friends went to UCSD and whenever I went to visit him we would take the Blue Line to the border, walk across, and get delicious, cheap Mexican food in Tijuana. Things are hairier now but keep the access to some of, if not the best, tacos in the world in mind.

Lol don't go to seaworld. Tj and Mexico are cool but go with a native speaker. Triton eye is a fabricated excuse for guys who don't have the guts to pursue women. If you're a science major do undergrad research in a lab that interests you. Avoid sdsu parties, too crowded and everyone is dumb as fuck. Best Mexican food IMO is oskars in pb for fish tacos, Lucha Libre in Mission Hill for california burritos and vallartas is open 24 hrs. Don't have such low expectations, sd is a chill place and UCSD is getting better every year.

Going to UCSD right now and it's going fucking awesome for me. That whole UC Socially Dead shit is bullshit unless you're going to not try to be social. Also, do you have a major in mind? Definitely get involved with your department, it's the best way to meet other undergrads who are interesting (from my experience at least).

If you really hate it, you can try to transfer into UCLA if your GPA is high enough. I knew people that transferred from UCSC and UCSD to Cal.

I walked in the graduation ceremony at UC Berkeley this past May, but definitely not graduated yet lol. I'm taking the most boring summer school class (French Medieval Feminist Literature) with the most chill teacher though. I'm going to move out of my place in less than a month :(

Buuuuuuut I'm gonna move to a pretty sweet apartment in Lyon where I get to study abroad for a year for free :D ty FAFSA.

for transferring between UC's? i think you have to reapply through the UC applications website in the fall. i think as long as your grades are good enough to get into the school in the first place, you'll be good. what school are you at currently and where do you want to go?

oh! honestly, the entire cal experience was a little underwhelming for me. for academics, only a few of the professors were outstanding and the rest were just alright, but the GSIs were fantastic. go to office hours as much as you can and make sure your profs/GSI's know who you are. it will help you so much if/when you need to get letters of recommendation. i also kind of regret not taking any DeCals cause they offer some really cool shit. try to teach one! my friend taught one and apparently a lot of his students were hella crushing on him.

as far as meeting people, i was fortunate enough to make a lot of great friends in the linguistics department, but not so much in the french department. cal is full of weirdos that take themselves too seriously. as annoying as they are, check out the clubs that attack you on Sproul, it might be worth while if you find something you're interested in! i wanted to be a part of Superb but i didn't have time for any of that shit.

if your major permits, really try to get involved in URAP. i didn't get the opportunity to do research because there was nothing going on for linguistics and french students. if not, ask your professors if they're doing any research that you can help with.

finally, get involved in all of the weird shit that goes down at cal: 4/20 festivities at memorial glade, the naked run in main stacks (never done it or witnessed it), the big game vs. stanford, etc.

yeah I'm definitely second-guessing if this is the right school for me (although senior year I just applied anywhere that had a good name so I deserve it).  So far most of the people I've met are pretty...I don't know, not genuine.  The architecture program here also has pretty low standards...

I really am just complaining right now but I think my interests just don't align with the school's focus.  Right now I just want to transfer to an arts school and study fashion but that's a particularly risky and expensive decision so I'm hoping I'll find something that will make me want to stay.  Thanks for the advice, though.  My nasty attitude's been shaping up recently post-phase II telebears and I'm gonna try my best to make this a good 4 years.

hahah fuck telebears. i think most, if not all of the friends i made at berkeley were transfer students (i was a transfer student as well) and i found them to be more genuine and way more chill than the fresh-out-of-high-school kids on campus. seems like you have your shit together as far as knowing who you are and what you want and i think a lot of them are still trying to figure that shit out.

Going to UCSD right now and it's going fucking awesome for me. That whole UC Socially Dead shit is bullshit unless you're going to not try to be social. Also, do you have a major in mind? Definitely get involved with your department, it's the best way to meet other undergrads who are interesting (from my experience at least).

I'm undeclared right now.

It's a long story, but I'm sort of a music dude at heart and applied and got into a bunch of good conservatories and music schools but couldn't pursue any because money

UCSD's graduate music department is world-renowned but I don't know anything about the undergraduate dept.

gonna switch to a music major right now.  If I don't dig it, I really dunno what I'll do major-wise

also I'm really glad you guys have pos. things to say about UCSD, getting p.excited for college as september approaches haha

If you really hate it, you can try to transfer into UCLA if your GPA is high enough. I knew people that transferred from UCSC and UCSD to Cal.

I walked in the graduation ceremony at UC Berkeley this past May, but definitely not graduated yet lol. I'm taking the most boring summer school class (French Medieval Feminist Literature) with the most chill teacher though. I'm going to move out of my place in less than a month :(

Buuuuuuut I'm gonna move to a pretty sweet apartment in Lyon where I get to study abroad for a year for free :D ty FAFSA.

You doing one of the UC EAP program? I go to UCI right now and I'm planning to apply for the lyon program for 2014, how was the app process like? 

UCSD's graduate music department is world-renowned but I don't know anything about the undergraduate dept.

Like the school's grad department, the undergrad program is very experimental from what I've heard. Lot's of emphasis in collaboration with other departments.

Edited by tacotron

yeah I'm definitely second-guessing if this is the right school for me (although senior year I just applied anywhere that had a good name so I deserve it).  So far most of the people I've met are pretty...I don't know, not genuine.  The architecture program here also has pretty low standards...

if you're studying arch in california you might want to look at ucla and sciarc... but you probably already knew that

Like the school's grad department, the undergrad program is very experimental from what I've heard. Lot's of emphasis in collaboration with other departments.

Sounds pretty great.  I really love avant-garde music.  I'm sure I'll find some talented musicians to jam with.

Which college are you in?  How's the food and dorm life?

Sounds pretty great.  I really love avant-garde music.  I'm sure I'll find some talented musicians to jam with.

Which college are you in?  How's the food and dorm life?

I'm in Muir, SD local so not living the dorm life. All the good parties are at the International House though, in ERC. Food on campus is alright, though supposedly Muir's Pine's dining hall is the best one on campus. My favorite food spot is the vegan Food Co-op at the Old Student Center; wednesdays $5 for all you can eat buffet provided by hare krishna folks.

I'm in Muir, SD local so not living the dorm life. All the good parties are at the International House though, in ERC. Food on campus is alright, though supposedly Muir's Pine's dining hall is the best one on campus. My favorite food spot is the vegan Food Co-op at the Old Student Center; wednesdays $5 for all you can eat buffet provided by hare krishna folks.

Yeah I heard I-House has the best parties

damn I'm far from ERC though, I'm in Sixth.  Heard anything about the dorms/life at Sixth?  Some people were saying the food is shit haha