Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

I don't like tapered jeans and I have a great looser pair with my Duckdiggers, so I'm looking for an unsanforized slim but straight pair. Some questions regarding the S5000VX in either 17 or 21oz: how low is the rise on these actually after shrink? Is there a post-wash size chart with more measurements than Denimio somewhere?

I'm a "true 30", so I reckon that after stretch a 29 should be perfect for me. Also sizing down 1 seems the advice on these. But I'm concerned about the rise, I found the figure of 10.5 for front rise on BIG but that's before shrink. A front rise of 26cm (10.2 inch) would be great, I could live with a bit less but definitely not a lot less.

Also, how brutal is the 21oz? Would be going TTS instead of SD1 wise with these?

I wear the 500 VX 21 oz in my usual 34, I would not suggest sizing down on these. The cut is not really slim however, at least in bigger sizes. A 30 might look slimmer, tough, as it can be seen in many straight cuts worn in smaller sizes. The BiG charts should be the closest you can get, Gordon will also measure a pair for you.

Thanks! Judging by b_f's fit guide the 5000 is a bit slimmer than the 510 and I do like slimmer thighs, that's why I think the 5000 would be a better fit for me than the 510. I'm not the tallest guy so a front rise of 10" is perfect, it's a range that feels good and allows me to tuck in shirts without looking like a fool.

Any other experiences with the 21oz, will the waist stretch out to tag size +1" or is that too much of a gamble? I can live with a couple weeks of agony :D

I don't recall the measurements, but +1" beyond tag size is doable, as they stretch back to raw size in the waist. Not sure, how the sizing in size 30 is, though.Just Keep in mind, that the 5000 has not much taper, so for a realy Slim-straight Silhouette the 500XX or 710 would be better - at the cost of a higher rise.

I'm afraid of the 710 leg opening being too small for my liking, I love engineer boots and need the jeans to fit over them. A pair of Samurais is what I'll gift myself for Christmas this year so I'll do some more soul searching, looking at measurements and measuring pairs I own before I put in an order :)

Yeah, at size 29 the hem is around 19cm, with cuff that would be too narrow I think. I have a couple pairs with narrow leg opening and I only have one pair of boots I can wear with them, only sneakers otherwise. And I don't need more summer-only jeans ^^

Have you considered the 0500's? Slim but not too tapered. Although I don't personally wear engineer boots I'd think the leg opening would be enough to accomodate.

Yeah, at size 29 the hem is around 19cm, with cuff that would be too narrow I think. I have a couple pairs with narrow leg opening and I only have one pair of boots I can wear with them, only sneakers otherwise. And I don't need more summer-only jeans ^^

yeah at that size, i cant wear mine over an engineer boot for the 710. i could for the s5000 but barely. it was alright but on the fitting side over the engineers. 

I've been tempted to order from them several times. How was the communication? Did shipping take very long?

They only speak Japanese so I had to use google translate when we emailed back and forth. I ordered the wrong size by accident initially but I got it changed without any issue. They send you an email first with some info on shipping and whatnot that you have to reply to that before they send you a paypal link for payment. Once you pay they shipped out quick. I ordered Friday night and it was at my post office yesterday. Got a few stickers and a note in japanese that I had some difficulty translating but seemed to be a personal note thanking me for my purchase. Pretty nice! This was a test run to see how things went before I potentially order some more expensive items and I am very satisfied with 2nd overall.

My pleasure. I edited the post and added some of my pairs for comparison. Do not underestimate the beauty of the 17 oz fabric! It's slubby and fades beautiful. I think I'd even go for this one, as the 21 oz is also available in the 510 cut, so you can mix between the cuts & denims.

Edited by Max Power

While that's a good idea, I try to not overstuff my closet with denim, I already have too many pairs (as a sane person, or my wife, would say). There's a couple LVCs - rather boring cone denim on them. I still like my Unbranded UB301, but after getting my first unsanforized pair the uniform denim feels a bit lacking, too... and that's not even counting all the non-selvedge denim that's not so bad that I have to throw it away (although I don't wear them anymore).

What I'm trying to say is, the 5000vx 21oz seems to check most of my wishlist boxes all in one (Samurai - slim-straight fit - heavy denim), so I think I'll decide on them.

Hey cucoo, what size were you thinking of?

I've got a pair of very sparsely worn 29" s5000vx 21 oz here that aren't getting much love at the moment... Don't get me wrong - I really like them and have no intention of parting with them permanently, but all my focus seems to be on my 710xx and 3 sixteens at the moment.

do you want to borrow them for a bit to be sure they are right?

Edited by Artisandenim

Yes Max I will definitely get some fit pics up soon. The details and denim finally won me over. I hoping they can hem them as well for me.

So I went through the pirates rakuten store, how long does it usually take for yuichi to send the PayPal invoice etc?

Edited by SuperJackle