japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

what's the best way to learn japanese? my grandparents are zainichi so i knew a lot when i was younger but now i don't remember shit. they struck a deal saying that they'll give me their place in tokyoz during the summer if i relearn. so i have about 7 months to learn to become conversational status. halpp

what's the best way to learn japanese? my grandparents are zainichi so i knew a lot when i was younger but now i don't remember shit. they struck a deal saying that they'll give me their place in tokyoz during the summer if i relearn. so i have about 7 months to learn to become conversational status. halpp

I recommend you enroll in a private language school for intensive classes, and then find a Japanese speaker for conversation "lessons" once you've gotten to an intermediate level. I am currently taking Japanese classes at college, but there's only so much teaching that can be accomplished when you have class two days out of the week. This is my third semester and I definitely cannot carry on a "normal" conversation beyond the subjects taught in class. If your grandparents are nice, they might let you have the place if you are super diligent and earnest about your studies...?

Although, now that I think of it... I have learned a good deal of grammar. If I were to broaden my vocabulary with Rosetta Stone or something similar I'm sure I could carry on a half-decent convo with friends.

Hi...in Tokyo now. I hit Mindtrive and Midwest and nothing fits my sz 50 frame. Do you have any good reco's for me? Into Julius/Shellac/ and other Jap labels. WIll be heading to Isetan later this week.

Also, I hit Ragtag/Space. Which in your opinion (and where) is the best 2nd hand store in Tokyo. Thanks!!

Hi...in Tokyo now. I hit Mindtrive and Midwest and nothing fits my sz 50 frame. Do you have any good reco's for me? Into Julius/Shellac/ and other Jap labels. WIll be heading to Isetan later this week.

Also, I hit Ragtag/Space. Which in your opinion (and where) is the best 2nd hand store in Tokyo. Thanks!!

european 50 or US 50?

good luck with that. im a 48-50 and i gave up looking.

isetan, barneys and both lifts definitely have stuff that'll fit you. I know isetan stocks size 3-4 in the japanese labels with at least decent frequency. at julius, lad, VA, n4 etc, yes, you are totally screwed. some of the aoyama shops, Ann D, RO, etc have larger sizes as well. (maybe not what you want though)

you should be able to fit into a 2 if you're a true 38/40 not that vanity sized 38/40 which is really like a 44-46.

I'm a true EU50 and there's no way i could ever fit into a size 2. A true EU50/US40 would be a size 3 or 4 depending on the labels. that being said, i hate japanese sizing, there's often a huge gap between size 3 and 4 (UC stuff generally fit a little tight to perfect in a size 3, but i'm often floating in 4). But it also depend on your body type, some pieces pieces are too short for me even in a size 5 (and i'm only 180cm) and very tight across the shoulder

From experience, boutique will stock up to EU50 so i'm a bit confused as to why you guys have so much problems finding clothes. Last summer, i bought some RO shorts in L at Midwest and i remember they had tons of stuff in my size (lots of size 3 and 4 TB suits, etc). Finding leather shoes above US9 is downright impossible though.

what kasper said.

midwest is notorious for only stocking jawnz in smaller sizes.

they do NOT ever buy anything over size 2. most of their high priced items are only in 44 and 46.

lecrerir, corso como, and etc have always had decent stocks

MMM flagship in ebisu is full of larger sizes

the reason it's somewhat difficult to find shit in larger sizes is that the vast majority of jawn buyers are larger dudes

i usually find lots of shit in XS/44 or XL/50. Nothing in between.

those scrawny bitches looking for 44s are usually broke and have no $$$ for CCP

dead serious

I'm going to tokyo and osaka in two weeks and i was wondering, where's the cheapest and/or most range of evisu jeans?

I'm thinking of getting the tokyo superguide, do you guys recommend that?

I'm unsure of shopping in japan because i'm 6'3" and not sure if thats a common size or if it means i'll be able to pick up more things on sale.

anyone stayed in capsule hotels for longer than a day or two? thoughts?

i ever booked a capsule in a capsule hotel for like 12 days because my friend don't have the money to even stay in a 7000yen hotel ... it was hell .. wouldnt recommend for more than a day .

of course i eventually switched to a random hotel after like day 5 ...

but if you are on budget , there are much more better cheap hostels around .

i ever booked a capsule in a capsule hotel for like 12 days because my friend don't have the money to even stay in a 7000yen hotel ... it was hell .. wouldnt recommend for more than a day .

of course i eventually switched to a random hotel after like day 5 ...

but if you are on budget , there are much more better cheap hostels around .

I might try it for a night and see if I like it. A hostel wouldn't be bad, I think I want to mix it up with nice hotels, hostels, and crashing at friend's places where I can. Thanks for the input.

I might try it for a night and see if I like it. A hostel wouldn't be bad, I think I want to mix it up with nice hotels, hostels, and crashing at friend's places where I can. Thanks for the input.

I'd say to try it for a night where you plan to stay out late in the area just for the experience, but not more than that. The time I went to one, it was filled with drunk snoring businessmen that sounded like they were about to choke in their sleep and other drunk businessmen passed out in the washroom. If you think regular Japanese walls are thin, this might be a problem as well - of course I probably stayed at the shittiest dingiest capsule hotel ever.