japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

There's a store in Nihonbashi that sells this very harderned fish (almost rock like) that when you rub it against a special surface, it creates very thin like slices...

Does anybody know the name of the specialty store by any chance?

after reading the post above, i was finally able to deciper it

it's katsuobushi

the rock form you are talking about is really fucking hard to come by

that's what people used to have 30-40 years ago but nowadays you can only find it in pre-sliced forms

i'd try ameyoko in ueno. i recall seeing it on my way to JAN.

Yeah too many foreigners signing up I guess. It's really annoying as even my friends with legit cell phone email addies don't have "new" enough addresses to be eligible.

mixiでナンパすんの?

別に 日本語練習しなきゃ。四月戻る前に週に数回日本すんでる友とチャットしたいだけ。

スカイプすりゃ良いーじゃん

Anyone have suggestions for good bookstores focusing on the arts? I've really only been to that Tower records in Shibuya.

Also I'm interested in housewares as well, specifically items for the kitchen. I've been to a few of the mujis out there which are great, but I was hoping to find some shops with more hand crafted or rustic items. If that even makes sense.

Any info is much appreciated.

Anyone have suggestions for good bookstores focusing on the arts? I've really only been to that Tower records in Shibuya.

Also I'm interested in housewares as well, specifically items for the kitchen. I've been to a few of the mujis out there which are great, but I was hoping to find some shops with more hand crafted or rustic items. If that even makes sense.

Any info is much appreciated.

There's a bunch of bookstores in the Kanda / Jinbo-cho areas that carry insane selections of art boooks / prints.

I'm talking about like original prints by Takashi Murakami, Tadanori Yokoo, and etc. Those stores also carry super-rare imported books eg) out of print Terry Richardson.

For somewhere close to the central area, Cow Books and Bonjour books are pretty decent.

That book store in the basement of PARCO1 have all sorts of fashion books.

I would say THE largest bookstore in Tokyo is Junku-do. The OG is in Ikebukuro. The other one is in Shinjuku Mitsukoshi alcot. I think they just built a new one in Shibuya... The sell zines too.

Handcrafted...

The new store in the 2F of Aoyama spiral building is fucking sick. I forgot what it was called but it's cheap (even by peasant standard) and everything looks pretty amazing. Lots of hot beezies there too.

For something generic, you can always try FrancFranc. There's a bunch thoughout Japland. The largest one is on Aoyama-dori.

is around yutenji station a semi-decent place to rent?

seems pretty central and not far from daikanyama..

It's legit.

Everything stays open ridiculously late.

I think Tokyu store is open until 2am.

Lots of bars and restaurants.

Tsutaya. Vintage shops that are open from 8pm to 4am...

Lots of werid stuff.

herpsky's suggestions are good. I know of a few decent bookstores but I can't remember them all now. I know the basement of Watarium in Gaienmae has a decent selection of art books and there's another small store just next to it (to the right, facing watarium) that is mainly focusing on art and photography books.

herpsky's suggestions are good. I know of a few decent bookstores but I can't remember them all now. I know the basement of Watarium in Gaienmae has a decent selection of art books and there's another small store just next to it (to the right, facing watarium) that is mainly focusing on art and photography books.

http://navi.jimbou.info/

Click ジャンルから探す --> 趣味芸術 (hobby/art) or サブカルチャー (subculture - guessing this refers to otaku-ish stuff)

I usually do Akiharabara, Jibouchou, Ogawa-machi in one shot

Look at electronics --> books --> sporting goods (musical instruments if you are into that sort of stuff).

Jinbouchou has the highest concentration of restaurants with excellent cost:taste ratio in tokyo.

If you are into snow/skate/surf/climbing, you need to check out Ogawa-machi.

I don't think I've ever seen any other place in the world that has a better selection of sports related jawnz.

It could be more of a culture shock than going to Omotesando / Harajuku.

Those stores literally carry every single item from all the major companies.

Last time, I picked up a limited edition Oakley splice in pink iridium in Asian fit for 10,000 yen. Holy fuck.

If you are into snow/skate/surf/climbing, you need to check out Ogawa-machi.

I don't think I've ever seen any other place in the world that has a better selection of sports related jawnz.

It could be more of a culture shock than going to Omotesando / Harajuku.

Those stores literally carry every single item from all the major companies.

Last time, I picked up a limited edition Oakley splice in pink iridium in Asian fit for 10,000 yen. Holy fuck.

is this the area that stretches from the kanda area? i was trying to find these shops but couldnt find it!

Herp, can you recommend stores that carry lots vintage style outdoor jawns a la Mt Rainier, Sierra etc ?

I usually go to little treasure ameyoko but they are out of my size in most things I'm looking for.

Ameyoko isn't all that great for finding Americana.

Mr. Hearts by Freaks Store on Catstreet (near Patagonia) used to have a shit load of deadstock Americana.

Your best bet is vintage stores that specialize in Americana. Not just some random furugi (vintage) shops in Shimokita or Koenji but ones that have real buyers who have keen eyes for vintage outdoorsy jawnz.

Jantiques is a must. Go-getter is also great. Vintage brown tag TNF & kelty, miller underwear, band tees, deadstock Lees and Levi's, and etc.

Also, kind of a super no brainer but look for stores in magazines

Most magazines have an index of stores from which the features items came (most of the items in the magazines list the stockist in parentheses after the name / brand / price).

Find a jawn in free and easy or 2nd --> look up the store --> go --> spend $$$ --> steez out

Others I thought of: Berber-jin, Jumping Jap Flash, telepathy route

Santa Monica and voice are good for general vintage americana but they don't really stock the type of americana you are looking for.

The area around Harakuku-dori behind beams has a lot of high-profile vintage stores. Check it out. It's pretty fun.