UNIQLO Selvage Denim S-000 [open thread]

onemancult

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to give my 2cents worth. Bought the s002 last week and have given them a cold soak and a 40 degree wash. They haven't shrunk and they haven't lost any colour whatsoever.

Plus they still haven't stopped bleeding over everything I own. Can only really wear them with something dark otherwise all my clothes are going to be indigo!

Can people please keep posting pics of these and how they fit? I'm still wary about how the fit looks. I don't live near a uniqlo so I really want to see how these fit on a variety of people and in a variety of ways before I get one. Thanks peeps.

How do they compare to say... a Dior, or APCs, or Nudies? In terms of how the thigh fits, the waist fits, boxy or flared hips, etc. Hehe sorry for pulling the whole comparison to these denims... it's just that they're what I got and that's all I really have to compare with.

Isn't there a Uniqo branch (very small) underneath Rockefeller center? I got my s002s there last year, the non selvage version.

I believe that there are one or two other smaller stores that have been in NYC but Im not sure as to wether or not they are still open since the flagship store probably attracts the most attention.

if anybody is interested i'm selling uniqlo selvage jeans, shipped from japan for 9000 JPY that's around $80. they only cost 5000 JPY out here, so after shipping and a surcharge they come out to the same price. anyway, if anyone wants some just check out my signature.

got to handle these in person the other day after visiting BiG... my 2 cents:

I was not very impressed at all by these guys. The denim is very soft and thin, which is not really how I like my denim at the moment. I've bought white jeans from Uniqlo that were much thicker and denser than the selvage S-000, so I was pretty disappointed.

If these were being sold at the originally rumored price of 50.00 USD I might've understood... but at the current price of 80.00 USD (I think?) they're just not worth it imo. I would rather spend 80 dollars winning a bid on eBay for a pair of RRLs, which I feel are on par with many of the other well-known Japanese brands.

That being said, I think that the fact that these currently have a large size run (i.e. it's very simple to walk in and buy a pair that fits you perfectly) and the fact that these guys have a very modern fit may make it worth it for the regular guy on the street who wants to see what raw, selvage denim can be like. For those who are patient and strapped for cash though, I would either reccommend waiting for a pair of raw RRLs to show up on eBay or saving up a little more to at least buy some APCs if not John Bulls.

Investing in a pair of great-fitting, well dyed Japanese raws will make you happier in the end, I think.

I was not very impressed at all by these guys. The denim is very soft and thin, which is not really how I like my denim at the moment. I've bought white jeans from Uniqlo that were much thicker and denser than the selvage S-000, so I was pretty disappointed.

If these were being sold at the originally rumored price of 50.00 USD I might've understood... but at the current price of 80.00 USD (I think?) they're just not worth it imo. I would rather spend 80 dollars winning a bid on eBay for a pair of RRLs, which I feel are on par with many of the other well-known Japanese brands.

That being said, I think that the fact that these currently have a large size run (i.e. it's very simple to walk in and buy a pair that fits you perfectly) and the fact that these guys have a very modern fit may make it worth it for the regular guy on the street who wants to see what raw, selvage denim can be like. For those who are patient and strapped for cash though, I would either reccommend waiting for a pair of raw RRLs to show up on eBay or saving up a little more to at least buy some APCs if not John Bulls.

Investing in a pair of great-fitting, well dyed Japanese raws will make you happier in the end, I think.

"I like my jeans how I like my women...hard and thick."

Well I bought the s-002 Premium selvage here in Shanghai, as the s-000 were too slim for me. They are gret jeans, denim is really nice and the fit very good too ! I picked up the black ones, they did stretch a little 1 inch or so, after 2 weeks of everyday wearing.

I am quite disappointed they didn`t make the s-001 in premium selvage this is the best cut for jeans i have ever seen ! I have 3 Uniqlo s-001 (in Kaihara denim but not selvgae) and for 30euros....they are the best deal of my life ! I hopeUniqlo will release them selvage next season !

I was not very impressed at all by these guys. The denim is very soft and thin, which is not really how I like my denim at the moment.

Yeah, I agree 100%. Great post. The denim felt cheap.

I picked a pair up and remain, for the time being, extremely impressed by them.

It may be a little unfair to compare the Uniqlo's retail price, at under 5000 yen with cheap ebay RRL's. (although RRL makes some absolutely top class jeans - I love the way the inside edge of the front pockets have the extra facing. Laboriously wonderful). Though I would agree with Jubei's recommendation of picking up the RRL's if they were the same price as the Uniqlos. The one-wash, slim boot RRLs, in particular, are superb even at full retail.

I don't find the denim that cheap feeling either. Around 14oz and compact is pretty perfect in fact. The only thing I would be concerned about is the very heavy crocking and how much they will retain their colour after a few washes.

Anyway, in the spirit of the RRL comparison, let's continue aiming high and compare a pair of S002s to the Jomons by 45rpm...

The Jomon even sits above the legendary Aihiko in the 45rpm pecking order. Amongst denimnerds, the name 'Jomon' triggers purple-red synesthesia with it's hand dyed natural indigo denim. Price reflects this at around 58,000 Yen.

Both jeans have the dirty coloured weft, although of course it would be unreasonable to compare the indigos. The Uniqlo's are significantly darker to begin with, and it remains to be seen how they look after repeated washes. But they are so cheap!

Apart from the cheap jacron-like paper tag (compared to 45s lovely piece of goat), the hardware compares well. The Uniqlo's don't have the hidden back rivets but the sewing quality is excellent. The only real obvious difference is the density of the overlocking stitch on the inseam.

I still think they are cracking value, especially if you can get them at the Asian prices.

I picked a pair up and remain, for the time being, extremely impressed by them.

It may be a little unfair to compare the Uniqlo's retail price, at under 5000 yen with cheap ebay RRL's. (although RRL makes some absolutely top class jeans - I love the way the inside edge of the front pockets have the extra facing. Laboriously wonderful). Though I would agree with Jubei's recommendation of picking up the RRL's if they were the same price as the Uniqlos. The one-wash, slim boot RRLs, in particular, are superb even at full retail.

I don't find the denim that cheap feeling either. Around 14oz and compact is pretty perfect in fact. The only thing I would be concerned about is the very heavy crocking and how much they will retain their colour after a few washes.

Anyway, in the spirit of the RRL comparison, let's continue aiming high and compare a pair of S002s to the Jomons by 45rpm...

The Jomon even sits above the legendary Aihiko in the 45rpm pecking order. Amongst denimnerds, the name 'Jomon' triggers purple-red synesthesia with it's hand dyed natural indigo denim. Price reflects this at around 58,000 Yen.

Both jeans have the dirty coloured weft, although of course it would be unreasonable to compare the indigos. The Uniqlo's are significantly darker to begin with, and it remains to be seen how they look after repeated washes. But they are so cheap!

Apart from the cheap jacron-like paper tag (compared to 45s lovely piece of goat), the hardware compares well. The Uniqlo's don't have the hidden back rivets but the sewing quality is excellent. The only real obvious difference is the density of the overlocking stitch on the inseam.

I still think they are cracking value, especially if you can get them at the Asian prices.

That's some really good info ringring. Thanks for it. Also did anyone find out who won the jeans yet or is that being announced tomorrow?