Belts

cecil

I would add and recommend also http://dontmournorganize.com/

There isn't much on the website, but get in touch with Scott via email and he can make you a great belt with nice, thick leather at a very honest price

ive been meaning to ask this question for awhile so here we go ,

what makes Redmoon belt so expensive with a simple belt costs around 30,000 yen?

are they really good quality or just over-priced for the sake of redmoon label?

As a trained leather craftsman myself, I'd say it is the person making the crafts that makes the most difference.

A seasoned craftsman can turn a piece of normal leather into a beautiful art, whereas an amateur may waste a good quality leather with his 'half-learnt' skills.

A good craftsman will choose the correct potion of his leather for his specific crafts. This requires indepth knowledge of leathercraftings. The tools are equally important and expensive investment too.

However, with the rise in leathercraftings as hobby, people are able to find cheap and easy basic tools everywhere.

But if look closely and compare, there are really differences which allows RM to sell their belts at higher pricings.

(probably easier to see with wallets than belts)

I'm not a RM fan btw :)

Hope this helps.

how about leather wise? i know they use high quality leather , but is there any different with other leather they use in other leather craftment company?

Their hand-curried stuff from the mainline and above are fantastic!

Other than a couple of other high-end leather workshops in Japan, I haven't seen anyone use a similar leather...raw, yet very refined, and ages very well.

Starts off a pale flesh/peach colour, and ages into a nice rusty brown whilst looking smooth and polished - not like a lot of lower end leathers which look plain 'tired' after some months.

Not the very best I've seen, and sometimes may lack a little character due to the uniformity of the grain, but definitely better than a lot of the leathers we commonly see (IMO anyway).

The pricing is a little bit high though, but as we know Japanese workmanship ain't cheap.

cheers for the answer Mike and Obbigood.. i think my questions didnt come out right i sound negative to start off with when im actually just want to discuss about the quality of Redmoon belts and the characteristics of them that grant the high price..

so i understand they use pewter buckle compared to brass buckle we normally see on other japanese made belt. so is pewter significantly more expensive to work with than brass?

so i understand they use pewter buckle compared to brass buckle we normally see on other japanese made belt. so is pewter significantly more expensive to work with than brass?

Cheers LC!

Don't they also have the option of sterling silver/silver?

Didn't know pewter buckles were more expensive than brass, don't see it much nowadays.

I do have a pewter buckle from the 70s, and I have to say old pewter looks great.

I often wonder how much leather they throw out in order to maintain this standard (avoiding all ticks and scars), and how much that contributes to the increased cost.

Mmm, haven't thought of that.

I like scars though - would like to have a wallet with a scar inset sometime in the future.

That reminds me, here's a nice one from the OGL belt that I received recently:

p3180042c.jpg

Guest rusholmeruffian

anyone got any experience of the Ace belts John sells at Speedway ?

I am more interested in the buckles tbh, thinking of getting one for my belt.

loving the joe hill belt to the fullest rite now!

Pics please :D

I haven't been wearing my Joe Hill belt as much as the other one Scott also made for me at the same time (the "blonde harness" one) - since the other one had a stiffer leather and I thought I might as well break it in first (the Joe Hill requires no breaking in :))

Hopefully I'll have some pics up this weekend.

cheers for the answer Mike and Obbigood.. i think my questions didnt come out right i sound negative to start off with when im actually just want to discuss about the quality of Redmoon belts and the characteristics of them that grant the high price..

Ah...it is true like wat Mike said. The leather for RM is of a higher quality couple with their craftsmanship, it allows them to quote higher pricing.

I often wonder how much leather they throw out in order to maintain this standard (avoiding all ticks and scars), and how much that contributes to the increased cost.

This depends on which part you choose for your belt making.

It is usually the double back that is used for belt making, as the back of the cow is strongest and lesser marks thus you dont need to avoid much.

Higher grade leather denotes that it is blemish-free, and it is really without a single mark visible.

In short, if the leather is correct, there is no wastage to contribute to the cost.

With the money my parents gave me for my 22nd birthday, I decided to use it to purchase a new leather belt. I was planning to buy one from tanner goods , but i decided otherwise because of the local mom and pop shoe repair store ive recently discovered in my college town. The owners of the store were so friendly and helpful my first two trips and because of this, I wanted to contribute to their business whenever I had the chance to. After a month of waiting, the belt is finally finished.

5549194501_ee4a70252c_z.jpg

5549195605_f749901685.jpg

Not as applicable to belts but when you buy redmoon stuff don't forget that sometimes you are also paying a premium for the novelty of the product. RM makes some pretty original stuff design wise and the time and effort that the craftsmen put in to come up with them makes their stuff deserving of the high price.

since u guys had a little RM discussion without me, I figured it would be best to post up my 3 year old RM belt (well roughly 3yr, give or take a few months)

5b302ad3.jpg

ac91cde4.jpg

2196c776.jpg

02d0da34.jpg

this is not the oroginal buckle I must add, the original buckle was pewter and looks exactly the same as this one.

the buckle has been changed by 2nd shop and the current buckle is a sterling silver RM buckle. (RM doesn't make silver buckles anymore it seems, so I really treasure it)

72b264f9.jpg

94c0ded1.jpg

excuse the quality of all the pics, as they are take with my iphone cause I was too lazy to take out the camera :P

it was that way when the original buckle was still on there.

hasn't been changed in any way when they put the silver buckle on.

great looking belt Tiro!

About 1 month in

img1406no.jpg

nice belt but personally I regret damascus steel was used; since I used to study about Japanese swords, damascus steel was always a suretell sign u have a fake katana in your hands; unfortunately I can't shake that impression anymore

nice belt but personally I regret damascus steel was used; since I used to study about Japanese swords, damascus steel was always a suretell sign u have a fake katana in your hands; unfortunately I can't shake that impression anymore

I'm quite fond of the buckle, but I think the Damascus did alienate a few folks on the initial expression-of-interest list.

But I wish some of you guys would have told me earlier though - not many people replied to my e-mails with feedback, so I had no idea some people were not fond of it until the project ended :o ...we could have worked out an alternative or second option buckle with Scott.

So, for the next project, please don't be afraid to speak your mind :)

Does anyone other than sugarcane make a heavy weight studded belt?

I don't think sugarcane belts are really heavyweight, RM also makes some studded belts, they are similar in thickness and weight to sugarcane I think.

Thanks for your kind words and rep slab, I really didn't look at any other belts anymore after I got my RM belt, if I ever need to replace it, I'll go for RM again I reckon.

I also share your opinion on the damascus steel btw, otherwise that belt looks nice, but the buckle ain't my cup of tea either.

Oh yeah mike, I'll try to get a macro of the leather for u one of these days, I'll have to drag the DSLR out of the closeth...

Haha, cheers SLAB!

I'm running on blank for the next project though...I've been browsing and reading, but I haven't been able to find any new 'types' of leather suitable for belting that would be of interest (barring exotics of course, which I assume not many here would be interested...)

As in, something a little different (a little more special perhaps) from the standard veg. tanned saddle leather.

Also, I'm thinking, instead of having a belt project, why not a different leather accessory?

Not a wallet, because that'll be too expensive, and wallets are too personal to have dozens of other people on the forums owning the same thing (IMO).

Maybe a coin-pouch?

Oh yeah mike, I'll try to get a macro of the leather for u one of these days, I'll have to drag the DSLR out of the closeth...

Looking forward to it :)

I know exactly what's on your mind, but you put it wrongly. Modern "damascus" steel is also called pattern welded steel. Nihonto katana's are made this way. The misconception lies in the purpose for pattern welding aka "damascus".

Joe Hill buckle purpose is the aesthetic of damascus, which is 99% of the people are after. Nihonto katana's purpose for pattern welding is for functional reasons.

since u guys had a little RM discussion without me, I figured it would be best to post up my 3 year old RM belt (well roughly 3yr, give or take a few months)

5b302ad3.jpg

very beautiful indeed..the tanning is even.. how did you normally treat it , i assume they started off raw ya?