Belts

cecil

Edit: 25 belts made

...Almost time to plan the next group buy - perhaps an Asian craftsman or workshop this time?...

just throwing this out here as an idea, don't even know if he would go for it or if it would be do-able, but have you considered kamida-san?

Untill now, i was very apathetic about my belts.

may someone recommend me good brands/makers?

I wish to buy a belt that will last me for a long time but at the same time is at the price range of between $90~$110.

Untill now, i was very apathetic about my belts.

may someone recommend me good brands/makers?

I wish to buy a belt that will last me for a long time but at the same time is at the price range of between $90~$110.

What kind of leather are you after? What thickness?

A very raw leather that has much potential for personal patina development and evolution? Or a more 'refined' leather such as an English bridle or fine calf leather? Or something exotic like horsehide?

Do you want a local product, or are you comfortable doing e-mail shopping with a shop/craftsman overseas?

Many of our forum members including Corter, Hollows, Zissou, Unlucky, etc can do a fine belt in that price range.

Brands like Tanner Goods or Obbi Good, etc can also offer some nice options in that price range.

Other craftsmen such as Terry Dear, Ken Sorensen, etc all do great stuff too!

A lot of the offerings by Japanese brands are very nice too, esp. Dolce Vita, Vintage Works, Tenjin, etc - but tend to be more expensive.

There are lots of nice belts in this thread - just have a look back and check them out!

What kind of leather are you after? What thickness?

A very raw leather that has much potential for personal patina development and evolution? Or a more 'refined' leather such as an English bridle or fine calf leather? Or something exotic like horsehide?

Do you want a local product, or are you comfortable doing e-mail shopping with a shop/craftsman overseas?

Many of our forum members including Corter, Hollows, Zissou, Unlucky, etc can do a fine belt in that price range.

Brands like Tanner Goods or Obbi Good, etc can also offer some nice options in that price range.

Other craftsmen such as Terry Dear, Ken Sorensen, etc all do great stuff too!

A lot of the offerings by Japanese brands are very nice too, esp. Dolce Vita, Vintage Works, Tenjin, etc - but tend to be more expensive.

There are lots of nice belts in this thread - just have a look back and check them out!

Thank you for the reply, and now I have many things to consider.

my belt that I bought just a year ago broke, and I was very disappointed at its construction from the beginning but they were really cheap, so that compensated everything, at least untill now.

Tanner Goods, I've been looking at them for few days because they have their own thread going on, but I didnt know that there were so many other options.

I remember reading in this thread about Terry's belts and how good they are. But never really considered. I was very certain that his belts are going to be very expensive... Even though i never asked any questions or thought about making any contact with him..

I think I want a belt with width of 1.5 from a very thick leather. I really like the color of natural and how they age... With a solid brass buckle with a nice keeper, leather or brass doesnt matter.

Well I think that sums up every thing...

my belt that I bought just a year ago broke, and I was very disappointed at its construction from the beginning but they were really cheap, so that compensated everything, at least untill now.

Tanner Goods, I've been looking at them for few days because they have their own thread going on, but I didnt know that there were so many other options.

I remember reading in this thread about Terry's belts and how good they are. But never really considered. I was very certain that his belts are going to be very expensive... Even though i never asked any questions or thought about making any contact with him..

I think I want a belt with width of 1.5 from a very thick leather. I really like the color of natural and how they age... With a solid brass buckle with a nice keeper, leather or brass doesnt matter.

How thick is really thick? 5mm (12.5oz)? 6mm (15oz)?

The best thing you can do right now is to shoot some e-mails to the different makers, and ask what they can offer you in terms of leather, hardware, customisations, etc.

Ask them for pictures of the leather/hides and hardware, and check out their products online or on this forum to see whether you like their handiwork or not.

Ultimately, if you want to get interested in leather, you won't know your preferences regarding all the small details until you've tried a little of everything. So shop around :)

How thick is really thick? 5mm (12.5oz)? 6mm (15oz)?

The best thing you can do right now is to shoot some e-mails to the different makers, and ask what they can offer you in terms of leather, hardware, customisations, etc.

Ask them for pictures of the leather/hides and hardware, and check out their products online or on this forum to see whether you like their handiwork or not.

Ultimately, if you want to get interested in leather, you won't know your preferences regarding all the small details until you've tried a little of everything. So shop around :)

I think there can't be a better answer than that. "So shop around." :)

I think, for the first try, I'll be going with Tanner Goods. 13 OZ. BELT - GOLDEN/BRASS.

I will move on to other makers' belts after I learn how to take a good care of belts.

Again, thank you for making everything very clear. :)

Anyone else having problems getting their Joe Hill to stay fastened? Im really bummed...its by far my favorite leather good I've ever owned, but I cant very well wear it if I have to keep closing the buckle every 5 minutes (no exaggeration). Maybe Im just bad at belts, but it fits well, and Ive had the same problem with both the loose and tight fitting holes. :(

^ We have the same problem happening over at myNudies too...

My plan is to wear it for a couple of weeks, and if the leather hasn't softened enough to 'curve' into the buckle, I will take it to a smithy to get a ball point placed on the pin.

I guess for the guys in the US, you could send it back to Scott if it's troubling you after a week or so.

Edit: I've sent an e-mail to Scott for advice regarding this issue.

P.S. I've had the same issue with my Dolce Vita belt + Cat's Paw buckle combo when the leather was still new - kept popping out every 10 minutes without me even touching the buckle. After a week or so of use, the leather softened up and the issue resolved on it's own.

Thanks for the advice Mike! Scott already contacted me about it. Its most likely that the peg on my buckle is slightly at an obtuse angle, making it prone to slip out. I thought of just wearing it in, but after a few days use realized id rather get the peg fixed as opposed to digging into the leather in the hole. Its all good, small flaws like that are too be expected when everything is getting made by hand...itll just make getting the belt back that much sweeter!

^ Thanks dude :) Scott just e-mailed me about it too.

The prototype belt (Scott's own) didn't have this problem - perhaps some of the pins are inconsistent with the others, as can be expected.

If anyone is experiencing the same problem, just give Scott a yell - he'll definitely take care of you!

We promised a hardy belt for this project, and he will make sure your belt wears true, even in the unlikely case the buckle needs to be replaced.

I think there can't be a better answer than that. "So shop around." :)

I think, for the first try, I'll be going with Tanner Goods. 13 OZ. BELT - GOLDEN/BRASS.

I will move on to other makers' belts after I learn how to take a good care of belts.

Again, thank you for making everything very clear. :)

Good choice of belting to start with :)

Judging by forum feedback you won't be disappointed!

Terry's belts aren't expensive at all. In fact his pricing is on the cheaper side in comparison to the others' in mike's list. He offers one of the best bang for buck imo, considering that the leather he uses comes from a top notch tannery.

Terry's belts aren't expensive at all. In fact his pricing is on the cheaper side in comparison to the others' in mike's list. He offers one of the best bang for buck imo, considering that the leather he uses comes from a top notch tannery.

I whole heartedly agree.

The leather Terry used for our last belt project was simply amazing; the same could be said of Terry's handiwork - you can tell by handling one of his belts that Terry's been doing this a long, long time :)

The price was pretty insane too - $75 shipped (it'll be a challenge to find a belt of similar calibre in this price range!)

Joe McCoy did a belt with similar leather from the same tannery around 3 to 4 years ago - the price was more than double than that!

A belt made from 'blonde harness' leather from Thoroughbred (one of the leathers considered for the Joe Hill project.)

A very nice, marbled leather - thinner, but stiffer, than the 17 oz Moser hand-stuffed leather used for the project belts.

p2180036.jpg

p2180038.jpg

p2180040.jpg

Thickness comparison with the project belt (which is on the right):

p2180045.jpg

Would anyone who owns the double horse hide stitched belt by unlucky like to post pictures of the thickness and burnishing of their belt? I am curious as to the total thickness? If anyone could estimate oz. or take pictures next to another belt, that would be great. I really like the evolutions that I have seen in this thread, and the two people who I have noticed that posted pictures seemed happy with the belt. Also, any insight into the horse hide leather would be much appreciated as well.

^ Mine is 17.5 oz...very, very thick.

I'm not sure if the other double horse Unlucky makes is this thick, perhaps best to contact him.

A couple of old pics:

p1060007x.jpg

double horse is second from right (most other belts 15oz or so):

PC210002.jpg

^ Cheers mate!

Now it's time for less collecting and more wearing :P

P.S. The 17oz Moser on the Joe Hill belt is bloody incredible...they should make it a regular offering. Incredibly heavy, yet supple and flexible, and that oh so natural colour is still there despite the high oil content!

^ Maybe I can wear two at a time :P

So far in my experiences with leather belts, I have to say a high grade, unfinished skirting leather (with a bit of handstuffing or without) is my favourite.

It's a bit more difficult to maintain than the average bridle or harness, but I reckon with a bit of attention and know-how, it's potential for evo far exceeds any other type of leather.

It's so responsive too, and a whole lot of fun can be had trying to infuse oil into it :)

I no longer see any need nor reason to kop a RM belt at $300.

P.S. Couple of people asked me what the leather for the Joe Hill belt should be called...

Mmm, I guess it would be a natural skirting leather which has been lightly curried by hand.

I did some caliper measurements of the belt yesterday, and the leather weighs in at a whopping 16.5 oz!

P.P.S. Full Joe Hill project intro. (including part I and II) now on my blog :)