Belts

cecil

Here is a comparison pic between the two belts, they measured exactly the same, except for the billet of the bottom one (the stretched out belt), which was an inch longer.

As per Scott description (let me state this again: he's a real gentleman and a top leathercraftsman), both are made of Wicket and Craig 15oz cowhide.

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

The bottom belt is actually a bit thicker too and started much lighter than the top one (pre-treated by Scott with neatsfoot and conditioner before being sent)

Just FYI regarding the bridle leather, according to the traditional English way of producing it (conversation with Terry Dear):

"If these butts had gone further through the process, they would have been immersed for several hours in a mixture of molten mutton fat and fish oil . . . each tannery has its own 'secret recipe' . . . and then 'set' to remove the growth. The setting process packs the fibres of the leather down much more tightly, and reduces the caliper of the finished butt. The butts are then hand-dyed and greased again, resulting in a very shiny finish, with virtually no visible growth or scars."

American's tend to do it the mass-produced way, and US bridle is mostly drum liquored/hot-stuffed.

The setting process involves manual stuffing, stretching, rolling, etc...

Essentially there's not much space left between the fibres of the leather - it's compact nature making it resistant to compaction and stretching.

Guest SisterRay

Terry's making my Quercus this week. I cannot wait. I've gone for black. I've not even got it, but those Joe Hill's have got me thinking about what I can buy next, ideally something custom from Unlucky.

I'm addicted to this thread, I blame mikecch!

ok let me apologize in advance for the noobness but

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps.aspx

what exactly do i need to make my own belt from here? im not sure what to buy and i dont want to waste my money on getting wrong sized parts. so any help would be appreciated

Got my OGL myNudies forum belt today:

After application of some home-made leather conditioner:

glad your have received it, mike.

Although there are marks on the surface, it is also links that connects all other belts and leather goods for this mynudies special. Also to denotes a true hand-cut belt blanks from double back :)

how do you feel for this 15oz brazilian leather?

Nope.. Did not do it on purpose. I just ordered the wrong size on the site, but hopefully it'll stretch a little with usage.

Soak the belt in warm water, roll it in a towel to get red of the excess water and then crank it down to stretch it. Let it dry while wearing...should be able to get an inch or so out of this...

ok let me apologize in advance for the noobness but

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps/Leather-Belts-Leather-Straps.aspx

what exactly do i need to make my own belt from here? im not sure what to buy and i dont want to waste my money on getting wrong sized parts. so any help would be appreciated

Go to the store...you don't want to buy the tools just to make one belt...it'll cost you too much money. They'll let you "test drive" the tools to make your own belt I'm sure. Buy a strap, buckle and small package of Chicago screws....this will be enough to get it done.

Guest SisterRay

Just received a Quercus belt (15oz 1.5") from Terry Dear. A few pics and a comparison with my Sugarcane Garrison and my ALD.

The Quercus is about 0.5cm less in width than the sugarcane, but slightly thicker, and currently quite stiff. It has a real leatherly smell that neither my Sugarcane or ALD had. All round very nice

I think my next belt will be closer to the width of my ALD, I love how it looks and sits on my Nudies. I think It will also be natural in colour and if I can get it thicker leather

Apologies in advance for the bad photography

5537452565_2cc8d14240.jpg

5537450485_5377a09766_b.jpg

5538029948_625945e55f_z.jpg

Soak the belt in warm water, roll it in a towel to get red of the excess water and then crank it down to stretch it. Let it dry while wearing...should be able to get an inch or so out of this...

thanks for that rivet head! will do asap! lol

glad your have received it, mike.

Although there are marks on the surface, it is also links that connects all other belts and leather goods for this mynudies special. Also to denotes a true hand-cut belt blanks from double back :)

how do you feel for this 15oz brazilian leather?

It's much denser than a lot of the saddle leathers I've come across, and also quite flexible when raw.

I also really like how easily it tans :)

It would be a perfect belting leather for me personally if it were just a little thicker - I measured it at 4.4 mm thick (average of 10 calliper measurements across the belt), although I think the leather may have been rolled/somehow compressed to achieve it's monstrous density?

5537450485_5377a09766_b.jpg

That's good honest wear on your SC belt! :)

^ Curious, is an unfinished "English bridle" leather really possible?

It's almost an oxymoron.

IIRC traditional English bridle is a type of heavily post-tan processed leather, and it doesn't come in the unfinished/natural state (which would be called a saddle or skirting).

^ Hey LC, hard to say mate.

The buckle is pretty cool, but I don't like how the belt was finished (the unfinished edge turned me off too) and the leather was really light/spongy for it's thickness.

But the price is pretty good hey (Dockland?) :P

Maybe you can finish the edge off yourself?

I've had this belt for a few years now. it hasn't gotten nearly enough wear but I've made a point to make it my sole belt for awhile.

15oz Cow Hide

Natural Veg Tanned Leather

Quick Release Buckle

BEFORE

dsc01221dq.jpg

CURRENT

img1609.jpg

LOL yeah 'that' place..where else..

hmm yea quite tempted for the price..maybe i'll go and have another look . only one left and it is my size :D

The leather has a bit of markings already and the buckle is pretty clunky... even at $50 I wouldn't say its worth it personally... just my 2c.

If it looks anything like this it should be OK:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/fullcount-6210b/

The leather on it is supposed to look quite battered, similar concept to some of the SDA belts......not my cup of tea, but I did actually think to buy a whole bunch of them and re-sell them online (there were around 6 belts left the last time I was there).