Belts

cecil

(First post here at sufu)

My new (worn once as of these photos) belt I got from Hollows Leather. Its been great so far (about a week)

5615232567_600cd86bd0.jpg

same belt, different light

5615813834_a240b24f51.jpg

The belt color is like inbetween those two, I couldnt capture it really

I finally ordered a new belt from Hollows Leather.

It was very hard to decide and had to consider for months.

Untill I saw this picture

5582400786_786c43d062_z.jpg

All I have to do now is sit down and wait.

OK then, not much evo (this is 2 weeks wear), but the colour has darkened.

OGL myNudies forum belt:

p4150016.jpg

p4150023.jpg

p4150090.jpg

p4150079.jpg

p4150081.jpg

Leather is nice and dense, very raw/unfinished saddle, the growth of the grain is not too pronounced at this stage, & interesting scar marks which keep me fascinated :)

A little bit thinner than what I was anticipating, but a very nice and well-made belt nevertheless.

O

Leather is nice and dense, very raw/unfinished saddle, the growth of the grain is not too pronounced at this stage, & interesting scar marks which keep me fascinated :)

I'm eager to see the distinct growth grains and scars on the belt too :)

Those are really nice belts :) what site did you order that belt from arcarsenal?

His site is http://www.leatherbeltsbyskip.com/ The belt in the previous post is his 1.5" English bridle leather belt.

Just spent a week in Vegas with the belt and combined with the desert dryness and my late night antics, the belt is aging nicely.

^ Great prices on the website above!

(But I think his English bridle is actually American.)

Definitely is American sourced leather and a pretty great price. I suppose he calls it English Bridle because of his tanning and treatment process.

The quality of my two belts is excellent and I'm happy to support any independent tradesman out there, especially a fellow Hoosier . I think Skip is in his 70's now, so it's pretty cool to see he's still doing what he likes.

^ Respect for working past retirement age :)

What's a Hoosier?

Haha, Hoosiers are what some people call people from the state of Indiana. Apparently it's official, according to Wikipedia. I don't really use the term, and I suppose you don't either! :)

Edit: oh , and Indiana University calls their sports teams Hoosiers

I wouldn't worry too much about it, aside from the northwest corner of the state, the majority is not much to write home about. Mostly pretty flat, with farmland. Lots of corn. Can be pretty in the Autumn, though.

^ Cheers for the info!

I've only ever been to the US twice, both times California.

Wickett & Craig, veg. tanned 16 oz waxy harness, turned into a belt by Scott (unlucky). 4 months of week-day use at work:

p4170014j.jpg

p4170046.jpg

p4170016.jpg

p4170020p.jpg

p4170026.jpg

Closer look at the grain:

p4170032.jpg

p4170037.jpg

Back-side:

p4170038w.jpg

Edge:

p4170053.jpg

Definitely one of the more interesting black leathers I've come across.

The leather has a 'moist' feel, due to the high wax and oil content.

A couple more pics and a longer rant will be on my blog in the next few days, if you're bored :P

Not so thick and prolly not so "premium" as most belts here, but still wanted to share these. I found them from my late great uncles stuff, no idea how old they are. I've used them for maybe three years now, oiled them once when I got them.

p3280001z.jpg

p3280008j.jpg

p3280007.jpg

p3280006.jpg

p3280003d.jpg

I have no idea. For all I know they can be decades old. He lived in almost northmost Lappland here in Finland and had some Sami blood, so there might well be some meanings behind the symbols. Or not.

They are in a pretty good condition so I don't think they are super old, and are probably made by some local craftsman who used some traditional lapplandish symbols as decoration.

His site is http://www.leatherbeltsbyskip.com/ The belt in the previous post is his 1.5" English bridle leather belt.

Just spent a week in Vegas with the belt and combined with the desert dryness and my late night antics, the belt is aging nicely.

I sent Skip a message as i wanted to get a cheap beater belt (i didn't mention that on the email), but he replied he does NOT ship overseas.

Next option is oldfatguy.com . His website is HORRIBLE to navigate through, but he makes nice, fairly priced belts and communication is pleasant and fast with him. Plus, he does ship overseas.

I bought from oldfatguy (whose real name is Ken) in the past and i like the way he works. Leather was a tad stiff in the beginning but i blame it on the dyeing process

so after considering all the fine leather artists here, I ordered a belt from Hollows b/c I already had a nice 9-10 oz belt and wanted my hands on a 14 oz one which he offered. It was a great decision as I received my belt today and it is fantastic. Here are some obligatory pics:

Library-1790.jpg

top view of the belt, note how the part that is curved back is thinned to reduce the "bulge" that people sometimes get with thicker leather belts

Library-1788.jpg

I normally don't like logos but requested it in this case as it went well with the design.

Library-1791.jpg

thickness compared to an older 9-10 oz natural tan belt I bought on eBay from "BK Leathers" a few years ago. the old belt is going strong, but it's nice to have the upgrade.

Library-1793.jpg

Thanks Hollows! P.S. I ordered the belt without a buckle and used one I already owned so don't bother Nicholas requesting that buckle

so after considering all the fine leather artists here, I ordered a belt from Hollows b/c I already had a nice 9-10 oz belt and wanted my hands on a 14 oz one which he offered. It was a great decision as I received my belt today and it is fantastic.
I sent him an email today actually, inquiring about one of his belts. Yours looks beautiful and I'm sure I'll paypal the money within the next few days.

Reid, you won't regret it.

I received my belt today and was very surprised.

Even though I know nothing about quality-belts, I know for sure this belt, that I have on right now as Im typing, will last me for many years without leaving me any disappointment.

Thank you Hollows!!

Some nice belts in the last few posts!

@I.T.

Don't worry about how "premium" those belts are. Having lasted so many decades of service and still looking great, you can bet that they are good stuff. They look incredibly long though, what's your waist size like?

@straightxedge

Dude that thickness is monstrous. Does it ever becomes uncomfotable? Liking the style of the buckle, although the material looks a little light?

Realized that I had a tripod at home today. Its so much easier to take clear photos with a tripod, especially when your camera sucks. Took a couple of pictures of my belt by Terry for fun. Haven't been wearing it a lot recently so not exactly a lot of change from last time.

belt.jpg

close up shots

beltcloseup.jpg

beltcloseup2.jpg

My new belt, handmade by a little leathershop in Dresden.

It´s 45mm wide and 8mm thick. I payed only 35€. Think that´s ok.

That's a very nice belt and a steal at the price you paid for it. Probably just one of the many honest leather artisans out there, that we don't know anything about until someone who also posts here stumbles into their shop (physical or online).

It takes a bad twist when they become relatively famous and glamorous and double their prices just because of that.

Good for the craftsmen if suckers happen to be willing to part from big money to get exactly the same product, bad for the market price, and for low budget customers (like me and many others) who happen to find themselves into it.

Rambling and rant aside, the bottom line is: nice catch!