Belts

cecil

Thanks Ron for the pics, i was thinking about getting the same thing, for the same reason. Chicago screws instead of stitching. And that's why i asked for a picture of the buckle end of your belt.

You probably put a bit too much oil in one go (i do it ALL the time), but doesn't seem to have caused any aesthetic damage or excessive darkening. The grain looks a bit flatter than Mikecch, but it may be the hide, as Mike pointed out.

The tip of the belt is very nice too. Did you ask Terry to do it or is among the design he proposed to you before making it? Reminds me of a scimitar. Very cool

No probs, glad to help. I asked for the tip and sent him a picture of a hunting/bowie knife, and after designing it I think Terry coined it 'bowie knife tip', although it came out longer, more 'scimitar-like', and imo nicer than in the original design... He'll doing anything within reason I think.

the back after a few days of wear, again please 'scuse the crappy quick snaps:

IMG_0468_640x480.jpg

IMG_0470_640x480.jpg

IMG_0472_640x480.jpg

and one of the grain, def think it looks different mike, have politely asked *Terry to confirm so will post when he doth....

IMG_0453_800x557.jpg

3rd to the right simply amazing!

Just got my custom Quercus from Terry Dear and its wonderful, thanks mike for the help.

drying after a few layers of neatsfoot:

IMG_0398_800x600.jpg

Quercus is the second one along, far left and 3rd along are the same leather, the latter after oil + wax and a few months of wear and tear.... If anyone wants the 1.75" 'A' belt cheap, feel free to pm me ('scuse the shameless plug but I need the $)....

IMG_0402_800x600.jpg

Overcast and cold here, but perfect for taking leather pics.

Update on my Ken x faith belt, bought from Kurt (zk the McCoy man) last year.

Full set on my blog soon (if you get bored):

p5110066.jpg

p5110079.jpg

p5110067.jpg

p5110074.jpg

p5110081.jpg

p5110083.jpg

p5110089.jpg

p5110097.jpg

p5110123.jpg

p5110108.jpg

^ IIRC Kurt mentioned the texture is printed or rolled on.

I actually have no idea where this leather comes from, or how it was tanned or processed, apart from the fact that it's a veg. tan of some sort.

Ordered the deadstock Swedish military belt in natural veg tan last night, size 110 with the 3 king crowns stamped on, can't wait for it to arrive. Some pics of it.

Swedish-Army-2.JPG

I wanted to order one for myself too, because they really look good and are a nice piece to have (i really dig the military stamps on those), but the idea that the sellers bought the whole military surplus lot of maybe 100 belts for the price you pay for one really turns me off.

these are cool too, and more reasonably priced: http://www.greenmanleather.ca/ww2-french-belts.php

I like the swedish ones more, though

A little late on this thread, but I wanted to also chime in on what was mentioned a few pages back re: Joe Hill belt and people being turned off by the damascus buckle. I also pulled out of the project because as unique as I found the damascus to be, I knew that it's not something I would wear very often. I didn't say anything at the time for the obvious reason that it seemed Scott was pretty into the idea and people were excited about it.

for upcoming projects, I would be REALLY interested in some kind of forged solid steel...something like the SDA buckle. I think that would be a smash hit on both forums, even more so than a double pronged belt, which I would again probably think was very cool, but eventually not pull the trigger on again.

And here's my Unlucky natural belt at one year. No treatments, but I think it definitely needs something, any recs?

This belt was sort of a "kickdown" from Scott to rectify something, so while I don't think this particular strap is anything from his special stash, it still means a lot to me as my first handmade/quality belt. That it came as a gesture from Scott after my first order with him told me so much about who he is and what he stands for.

mhf2id.jpg

Moar wear?

Of course, but the truth is it's been worn about 350 days... it's just getting a bit dry and I want to make sure I take care of it properly, but I also don't want to do anything "artificial" to it....

2uqd6yq.jpg

v5g6jd.jpg

^ +1.

Guyute, note taken on the buckle.

In fact, I saw lots of people later contacted Scott to get the Joe Hill leather with a different buckle, which is OK by me - the Joe Hill, for me at least, was to create something unique and distinctly American. It's all good as long as Scott gets rewarded for his hard work, whether it be people buying the project belt or being made aware of the possibility to commission their own designs.

Your belt looks great the way it is, it has the look of raw leather that's been worn for a while without heavy maintenance.

If you're interested in making the belt look a little more aged or to give the grain a little kick, then, as ADH92 recommended, a good quality animal oil would be good.

A deep penetrating oil will speed up the oxidation/discolouring process with wear and also make the grain growth more pronounced - just be careful not to over do it (which is kinda difficult considering the thickness of the belt).

In your case, I would give the belt a quick wipe-down with a damp cloth and natural-hair brush, apply a layer of oil (or mixture of water/oil/wax), let it rest for a while, and then coat it with a wax/mix.

You may also like to gently heat the leather up before the oil goes on.

Due to the thickness of the leather, you may also like to oil the corium/flesh side as well.

But you could also keep on wearing it as it is, depending on what kind of look you're trying to achieve.

And here's my Unlucky natural belt at one year. No treatments, but I think it definitely needs something, any recs?

This belt was sort of a "kickdown" from Scott to rectify something, so while I don't think this particular strap is anything from his special stash, it still means a lot to me as my first handmade/quality belt. That it came as a gesture from Scott after my first order with him told me so much about who he is and what he stands for.

+1 on this one.

Got a similar experience with Scott and he proved to be a true gentleman (i wanted to say he's a top dude, but i'm getting too old to use youngsters' lingo) by fixing the problem exactly like he did with you.

I only have words of high praise for him and his work

My recommendation would be a high quality animal oil. I've been using neatsfeet oil, but Mikecch (the master of all of this) recommends horse oil as well...along with a bunch of other stuff that he concocts in his laboratory.

The oil does not necessarily have to be from an animal source (Mikecch will correct me if i'm wrong). I recently used jojoba and found it to be very quickly absorbed and, at least by the looks of leather after treatment, quite "nourishing".

Other vegetable oils can be used. For example Macadamia oil has a fatty acid profile similar to mink oil, widely used as leather food.

Also, you can use oils pure, or you can mix vegetable and animal.

You can buy pure jojoba oil on ebay very cheap, or the Mikecch recommended and endorsed emu oil (cheaper in the U.S. than here in the motherland of emus)

Both Animal and vegetable oils, to a degree, will darken leather, with neatsfoot being the most darkening of them all

Neatsfoot is pretty cheap on ebay too

^ I like plant oils too, but I usually use these in my mixes made for woods and steels.

+1 on the Macadamia oil, works well and is very cheap compared to finely processed animal fats.

In terms of animal oil, so far I'm really liking the emu - hits harder than horse, and the colour of the leather (both short term and after wear n' tear) is bang on what I'm looking for.

The only thing is that emu fat tends to leave a slight residue (independent of existing oils/waxes in the leather), but that clears away easily with a brush/wipe-down.

P.S. Macadamia oil is actually one of the main ingredients that'll be in my vegetarian friendly leather balm.

Although a vegetarian friendly leather balm is kinda pointless...