what are you watching today?

red

^^^ maybe I'm just stupid, but I never got why everyone loves apocalypse now. The story just seemed weird to me. Honestly, I thought Platoon was a much better vietnam war movie. I'm not a super hardcore film critic or movie buff, but I found Platoon to be much more engaging and enjoyable. Anyone care to enlighten me on why Apocalypse Now is awesome?

Apocalypse now is about losing control and madness/chaos, Platoon is a vietnam war movie with goodies and baddies.

Uhhh... because it is a retelling of a classic book. Sure, it's about the Vietnam war, but it's not really about the Vietnam war. Oh, and it stars Martin Sheen instead of Charlie Sheen, which means it is automatically better on some level.

fair enough... I guess it's sort of an apples and oranges comparison and I haven't read the book yet. I kind of got the sense that I might have appreciated the all the stuff about colonel kurtz a little more if I was more familiar with the story, but to a complete outsider, it seemed a little too bizarre and far-fetched. Also, this may be blasphemy, but I thought Marlon Brando didn't live up to expectations in his role.

anyway, thanks for the thoughtful and informative comments.

and to stay with the theme of the thread...

La%2Bmoustache%2B%25282005%2529.jpg

... because I fell asleep last time I watched it and I don't want to do work.

I've been writing on Hitchcock, so I haven't been watching anything new, until now. I wanted to watch something for pleasure, so I found this:

Presumed Innocent, 1990. It's actually pretty good (though I might be biased as Harrison Ford is one of my favorite actors). Definitely a solid thriller from the '90s.

presumed-innocent-hd.jpg

all the stuff about colonel kurtz...it seemed a little too bizarre and far-fetched.

Kurtz is allegedly based on a real character. There is some debate as to whether it was Tony Poe or Robert Rehault. In any case, Poe was a badass dude whose eccentric behaviour bears an uncanny resemblance to that of Kurtz in the film.

http://www.sfweekly.com/1999-11-17/news/agent-provocative/1/

I also watched La Moustache a while back. It starts out with such a great premise but slowly degenerates into fantastical headfuck. And I don't mean that in a good way. It gets weird and loses its way, so if you watched the beginning then you didn't miss much.