what are you watching today?

red

fair enough... I guess it's sort of an apples and oranges comparison and I haven't read the book yet. I kind of got the sense that I might have appreciated the all the stuff about colonel kurtz a little more if I was more familiar with the story, but to a complete outsider, it seemed a little too bizarre and far-fetched. Also, this may be blasphemy, but I thought Marlon Brando didn't live up to expectations in his role.

anyway, thanks for the thoughtful and informative comments.

i think you just need to rewatch it without having standard war movie expectations. its pretty critical of the traditional war/epic narrative. its relevance is historical considering the american political climate post-nam, and alot of other movies followed suit about PTS and/or veterans comign home and realizing they fought over some bullshit. AN and deer hunter really kind of shifted american war films into new territory, or at least polarized them in to two seperate genres. i think it stands well alone without having to read the novel, too. which is a pretty incredible feat to pull off when adapting something as highly regarded as heart of darkness.

and platoon has some of the worst acting and cheesiest mellodrama ever committed to celluloid. i mean, it was awesome when i was 13, but having watched it recently, its epically terrible once you take away a couple good one liners and a handful of scenes that are fun, but dont add up to much in terms of content.

just finished watching the kids are all right and i seriously loved it. well acted and a lot of warm statements about our family values. Joni is definitely my kind of girl

I'm sorry, but I thought that was one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I seriously do not know why they made this movie. I almost walked out.

Seriously, for any fans of Westerns, see this movie! I just watched it yesterday, and it blew my mind. De Toth was already one of my favorite directors (just from watching Pitfall, a great noir), but this really was a level above what you normally see.

Day of the Outlaw, 1959:

day-of-the-outlaw-movie-poster-1020195601.jpg

Also, related to my Hitchcock paper, I'm watching a bunch of modern films that have been as "Hitchcockian." First up,

The Usual Suspects, 1995:

usual_suspects.jpg