Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

4 hours ago, evor1 said:

Ok thanks.  Let me ask you first.  I purchased the darkshadow pod shorts in black.  Based on how they fit now I do not want them to get any smaller in the waist.  After a soak/wash I know they will shrink but do they end up stretching back fully?  if not then I will want to size up 1.

I own those same shorts in both in the black/black and indigo/black.  They stretch about 1" in the waist after 45 wears or so, and with a cold wash and air/line dry they shrank back down to the original waist size.  As long as you're wearing them long enough for them to stretch a bit and washing them in cold water with an air dry you should be fine.

POTEN WINTER COLLECTION OF JAPANESE BASEBALL CAPS 

This season we see Poten doing their caps in four new fabrics, two in fitted versions and two in adjustable. These hats are crazy nice, nicer than any other straight ahead baseball cap we've ever seen.

Every cap style has a super soft and supple inner leather headband which has been lightly treated so it’s not destroyed by sweat. 

The caps have zero exterior branding except for the stitches which you can see from the top of the crown from the interior branding tags being sewn into the center of the crown. The cap has a medium height crown and the brim has a medium length to it with 19 concentric stitches which feel and look pretty cool in person. If you're into baseball caps, you'll love what Poten is doing.

Shop Poten Online: https://www.selfedge.com/poten

Poten_Japanese_Made_Cap_Adjustable_Pig_S

Poten_Japanese_Made_Cap_Sunny_Dry_White-

Poten_Japanese_Made_Cap_French_Safilin_N

Poten_Japanese_Made_Cap_Adjustable_Beige

IRON HEART WINTER COLLECTION OF EVERYTHING TO KEEP YOU WARM 

Many new arrivals from Iron Heart have landed this week.  We've got new workshirts made of Iron Heart's Ultra-Heavy flannel in various colors, non-oiled Deck Jackets in two colors, selvedge chinos, A2 Deck jackets, and snap buttoned denim shirts.

Shop Iron Heart Online: https://www.selfedge.com/iron-heart

Iron_Heart_Ultra_Heavy_Flannel_IHSH-378-

Iron_Heart_12oz_Denim_Workshirt_w_Snaps_

Iron_Heart_Military_Serge_Olive-01-680x1

Iron_Heart_Alpaca_Lined_N-1_Deck_Jacket_

IH_TAN_01-684x1025.jpg

IH_Chinos_721_Khaki_1-680x1025.jpg

ih_slim_chino_navy_001-680x1025.jpg

IH_Chinos_721_Black_1-680x1025.jpg

On 10/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, kiya said:

Before the end of the year, we promise.  If we don't get them out before then we promise to give them away for free. 

As the end of the year draws closer, I'd like to reserve a pair of Imperial Jeans in size 36 for January 1, 2024 when you start giving them away for free. 😁

1 hour ago, reallypeacedoff said:

Regarding Poten caps, specifically this one, what sort of wash process would you recommend?

PS I received my SC1947 BKBK, such a nice fit, letting them drape before I figure out cuff but love the silhouette. 

Use a hat washing cage and wash it in cold water in a dishwasher with no drying.  Or you can hand wash it.  This is one of the only Poten models without a leather headband making it easier to wash.

1 hour ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

As the end of the year draws closer, I'd like to reserve a pair of Imperial Jeans in size 36 for January 1, 2024 when you start giving them away for free. 😁

You think you got me, but little do you know the release date is December 14th!

8 hours ago, kiya said:

Use a hat washing cage and wash it in cold water in a dishwasher with no drying.  Or you can hand wash it.  This is one of the only Poten models without a leather headband making it easier to wash.

You think you got me, but little do you know the release date is December 14th!

Oh hells yes! Great news!!

2 hours ago, Abochka said:

Amazing! They’ll be in stores the 14th, @kiya? I’m gonna be in New York and wanna pop by…

Yes!  At all stores December 14th.

8 hours ago, reallypeacedoff said:

We get that usual collab preview this week?

image.thumb.jpeg.c5880bc47d1552d45c46feab2d679cf6.jpeg

Benny Gold.

The Self Edge Bender's Lookbook

The calm solace one finds in a dimly lit dive bar is a feeling known well to many San Franciscans.  The deep history of hiding out in a bar goes back over a century in San Francisco.  Starting with the Gold Rush days as the capital of California’s lawless “Barbary Coast” to the Kerouac and Ginsberg hang-outs in North Beach in the 1950’s to the Tavern Guild organization of gay bar owners of the 1960’s; San Francisco has seen its fare share of social groups using bars as their home base.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

With this lookbook we’ve put the spotlight on Benders Bar and the people who own and work there.  Benders is where we’ve called our home base in San Francisco for two decades and which also happens to be around the corner from the first Self Edge on Valencia Street which we opened in 2006.  Just a couple of businesses with distinct visions, aging somewhat gracefully.

Photography: Dani Ponce / Styling: Oscar Ojeda / Creative & Direction: Kiya Babzani

se_lookbook_benders-01-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-02-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-03-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-04-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-05-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-06-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-07-3808x2256.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-08-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-09-2000x1328.jpg

se_lookbook_benders-010-2000x1328.jpg

Edited by kiya

2 hours ago, Broark said:

I love Bender's, a must visit whenever I'm in San Francisco!
Oddly enough we have a Bender here in Austin, similar vibes.

Just looked up the Bender bar in Austin, they even have two Bender's San Francisco stickers up in the back:

image.thumb.png.99280381d60e7619f575a36145d297ce.png

Edited by kiya

MISTER FREEDOM WINTER COLLECTION 

Mister Freedom hits us this week with a strong winter collection of new shirts and jackets.  The Barnstormer jacket is a standout piece from the new line made of a heavy Japanese jungle cloth in a worn-in shade of khaki.   All four items are available now at all of our stores.

Shop Mister Freedom Online: https://www.selfedge.com/mister-freedom

Mister_Freedom_Snipes_Shirt_Army_Green_S

Mister_Freedom_Aristocrat_Shirt_7oz_Indi

Mister_Freedom_Dude_Rancher_Shirt_Black_

Mister_Freedom_Barnstormer_Jacket-001-68

NEW STEVENSON OVERALL CO. JEANS! 

Stevenson just hit us with three jean models.  Anyone who's been following us for a while knows that Stevenson has produced some of our favorite jeans over the years.   We have a new straight leg Encinitas model which is made of a black warp and black weft denim, a straight tapered Carmel jean made of their sanforized indigo selvedge denim, and also the Encinitas in an unsanforized (but rinsed) indigo denim. 

Shop Stevenson Overall Co. Online: https://www.selfedge.com/stevenson-overall-co

Stevenson_150_Encinitas_Jeans_Classic_St

soc_carmel_33_01-680x1025.jpg

Stevenson_150_Encinitas_Jeans_Classic_St

30 minutes ago, lophophora said:

editorial content is really killer, kiya. you and the SE team are gifted raconteurs. 

Does the writer of the editorial sound familiar to anyone?  it's sufu's own @minya

I loved the editorial, great stuff. Just the other day I was looking at the very first Self Edge lookbook from 2007 or whatever (which is still on the site!) and thinking about how great a lot of those fits look. It was a bold and original approach taking Japanese brands like Flat Head which everybody kind of associated with rockabilly and western wear totally out of context and merging it with streetwear. Wearing Flat Head houndstooth shirts and snow zips with Nikes sounds kind of crazy on paper but it's actually really cool, and I feel like the contemporary western denim scene could probably learn something from that. I'm still disproportionately influenced by some of the style Sidney Lo wore in his WAYWT project.

I discovered raw denim with Nudie in late 2009 and never owned anything by Imperial, but the new jeans look awesome and I love the story behind it.

SELF EDGE X IMPERIAL = SEXI26 

We did a collaboration with a defunct denim brand as a way to tell a story about Bay Area streetwear and how nearly two decades ago the early days of Self Edge were so heavily intertwined with San Francisco’s HUF crew.   Click here to read an interview with some Bay Area streetwear legends and to learn more about how we got our footing in an unknown market when we started.

Read our editorial on the early days of Bay Area streetwear and its connection to Self Edge: https://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=selfedge/editorial/readEditorial&editorial_id=834

Check out the Self Edge x Imperial jeans: https://www.selfedge.com/imperial-denim

Self_Edge_x_Imperial_SEXI26-1947_Classic

Self_Edge_x_Imperial_SEXI26-1947_Classic

Self_Edge_x_Imperial_SEXI26-ST_Straight_

Self_Edge_x_Imperial_SEXI26-ST_Straight_

IRON HEART WINTER COLLECTION OF SHIRTS 

We've just received some of the best Iron Heart shirts we've seen in some time.  We have some wild new slubby flannels, double-cloth workshirts, and Ultra-Heavy flannels in all colors in both western and workshirt styles.

Shop Iron Heart Online: https://www.selfedge.com/iron-heart

Iron_Heart_Slubby_Heavy_Flannel_Western_

Iron_Heart_Slubby_Heavy_Flannel_Shirt_IH

Iron_Heart_Ultra-Heavy_Flannel_Western_S

Iron_Heart_Ultra-Heavy_Flannel_Western_S

Iron_Heart_Ultra-Heavy_Flannel_Workshirt

Iron_Heart_Double_Cloth_Workshirt_IHSH-3

Iron_Heart_12oz_Denim_Workshirt_With_Sna

26 minutes ago, reallypeacedoff said:

The Poten baseball cap is awesome!

IMG_9483.thumb.JPG.aab2396c4b04edec51e211ef9cd68e3c.JPG

Yeah, those Poten caps are really amazing. We find one people buy one and get their sizing down they come back for more every season.  They're that much nicer than nicest cap we've seen from any other brand.