Denim Shirts

nemoulette

• 5 years later...

Just picked up the new Mister Freedom Okinawa Patrol shirt after much deliberating. There are so many nice shirts out there.

So I'd love to see all of your worn in examples. I've seen a few on here and since there is a denim jacket thread..... 

This is my only real quality denim shirts but I'll start it off. This is pre-soak. I'll get another when it dries. 

FullSizeRender2_zpsf8196b37.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the iPhone pic. 

• 8 months later...

I'll bump up this thread as I'm starting to look for a nice raw denim shirt to pick up for the fall.  I like the look of the Rogue Territory Denim shirt, and the pics of the Nudi Gunnar look pretty nice.  Anyone wear those?  I'd love to see how they have settled in. But, finding a raw denim shirt seems to be pretty tough around here... looks like they get released, then never really remade until the next season?

Anyone have good lead on other shirts?

The Flathead and Ironheart shirts at Rivet and Hide are very nice - was in there last week.

They also had an interesting UES one as well as Mister Freedom and Stevenson Overall co.

Give Danny a shout - he'll be able to answer any questions.

OK I will risk a flaming by offering the following from Bob Dong (stop laughing at the back):

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-8930818959.2.NYMiEa&id=42193185469

I have this shirt. I'm not naiive enough to believe it's an original design, but not switched on enough to know, or be worried about where it's origins lie. I'm very happy with it. I have the size 38 which is sized exactly as I wanted it, but is probably more in line with a typical european small. The denim is weighty for a shirt, but doesn't feel like the 13oz they claim. It's fading up reasonably nicely. It's in the wash as I type this (a shirt has to be washed IMHO- 6 months would be disgusting and unfair to my family!) but will post some detail pics later if anyone's interested. The denim is a little neppy in paces, but I wouldn't call it a feature, but it is reasonably slubby, which gives it character. It took a good month of wear to soften up, but creases set in quickly and fades are quick to arrive and look good. My favourite is elbow wear, although forearm combs are nice too. It has some nice details, and some quirks. It's done some minor shrinking since it's been washed, and so there's a bit of twist to the sleeves. It doesn't look weird though. I cut off the chainstitch runoffs because I didn't like it. Regret it a little now. The buttons are plastic, but look ok. The pockets are borderline pointless, but look good. It wasn't expensive, but for the price I paid (incl proxy fees and shipping) I'd say the quality is higher than I had a right to expect, but of course, it won't stand the same level of scrutiny that something from TFH, UES or mr freedom would.

All in all, notwithstanding any IP issues anyone may point out, I'd recommend this shirt to anyone looking for a beefy, well made denim workshirt that doesn't break the bank.

I'll bump up this thread as I'm starting to look for a nice raw denim shirt to pick up for the fall.  I like the look of the Rogue Territory Denim shirt, and the pics of the Nudi Gunnar look pretty nice.  Anyone wear those?  I'd love to see how they have settled in. But, finding a raw denim shirt seems to be pretty tough around here... looks like they get released, then never really remade until the next season?

Anyone have good lead on other shirts?

I have the RgT Utility shirt and a PBJ Deep Indigo Western shirt.  I really like the RgT shirt because it fits so well, but it seems like a really slow fader.  I'm starting to see fades on the PBJ and it's shaping up to be really nice. 

OK I will risk a flaming by offering the following from Bob Dong (stop laughing at the back):

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-8930818959.2.NYMiEa&id=42193185469

Great posts! I had been thinking about getting this same shirt myself, it's interesting to see fit and fade pics.

I have a couple of Bob Dong shirts (a chambray and a wabash work shirt) myself and I concur with your sizing info - they fit very small and the measurements don't tell the whole story. They're very trim, sizing up 1 or 2 is the thing to do.

Regarding your thoughts on IP issues - when this shirt popped up on Taobao I noticed the exact same shirt (even the product shots seemed to have been taken by the same person) under the RRL label. In this case, I think that means whoever is behind the Bob Dong brand is also pandering to people looking for RRL "inspired" clothes. Surely doesn't take away from the solid construction of those... "Dongs", though.

Great posts! I had been thinking about getting this same shirt myself, it's interesting to see fit and fade pics.

I have a couple of Bob Dong shirts (a chambray and a wabash work shirt) myself and I concur with your sizing info - they fit very small and the measurements don't tell the whole story. They're very trim, sizing up 1 or 2 is the thing to do.

Regarding your thoughts on IP issues - when this shirt popped up on Taobao I noticed the exact same shirt (even the product shots seemed to have been taken by the same person) under the RRL label. In this case, I think that means whoever is behind the Bob Dong brand is also pandering to people looking for RRL "inspired" clothes. Surely doesn't take away from the solid construction of those... "Dongs", though.

Thanks. I love my Dong. Would be very interested to see the wabash and chambray. They're both options I had been considering too.

• 2 months later...

Would be nice to see what denim shirts you are using.

I could not find a dedicated shirt thread.
Therefore I started this one.

A place to discuss denim shirts of all brands :)

If there are one out there already. Please redirect me to it.

I do not own many denim shirts, but the few I own I cherish and use as often as possible.

The one I have used the most has to be my Nudie Gunnar in dry organic denim.
Fabric: 100% cotton organic denim from Turkey
Weight: 11.5 oz

I shortened the length of the shirt a fair bit.
I love this shirt a lot and it only gets better over time.

I will try to take some more pictures of some of my other shirts that I love, use and abuse and post them here.
Please feel free to do the same :)

Anyhow, here are some photos of the Nudie shirt:
(They have been posted before in the Nudie thread. I hope you do not mind)

2015-07-06 (day 187)

150706_NudieGunnar_M_d187_IMG_6997.jpg

150706_NudieGunnar_M_d187_IMG_7003.jpg

2015-07-09 (day 190)

150709_NudieGunnar_M_d190_IMG_7223_2.jpg

2015-07-11 (day 192)

150711_NudieGunnar_M_d192_IMG_7421.jpg

2015-07-13 (day 194)

150713_NudieGunnar_M_d194_IMG_7514.jpg

2015-07-16 (day 197)

150716_NudieGunnar_M_d197_IMG_7683.jpg

150716_NudieGunnar_M_d197_IMG_7692.jpg

2015-07-26 (day 207)

150726_NudieGunnar_M_d207_IMG_7829_2.jpg

150726_NudieGunnar_M_d207_IMG_7830_2.jpg

Great shirt. I'm sure there was a similar thread but I can't find it now. Will post some pics of my bob dong (shirt) in a while.

Edit: meant to say, I love how you shortened it. Looks part shirt part shacket. Very cool

Edited by holio cornolio

I found the other topic. I think it's called what about denim shirts or something. Cross post of my Bob Dong.

It's supposedly 13oz denim but I don't think so. It is selvage and is heavy, but I would guess 10-11oz. I'm told it's a ripoff of something expensive, and it probably is, but I don't think I really care too much. For the money it's pretty nice. I want to swap the buttons for some cats eye black corozo ones, but I'm buggered if I can find any. It will happen one day though. I think I will wear this today!

And some detail:

18961740951_6ef1a9c1dc_c.jpg

18771124368_50b3e5b63a_z.jpg18336216964_8749b59043_z.jpg

18771072300_ab34cef609_c.jpg

18961725631_dfb8c5658e_c.jpg