What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

Hey, sorry for a newb quesiton, but is there an introduction/visual identification guide/anything for better understanding the various models of Levi's denim jackets - type ii, type iii, 506, 507, eras, fits, etc?

I'm basically looking for something like 'Levi's 501 - A Visual Guide' (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=34010), but for jackets.

Is there any such thing? Or any suggestions on where to start?

ridiculously good sale. With shipping to the US, about $40! Thanks, almostnice.

nearly ordered one myself,but my 506 deserves some wear this summer.looks like you got one of the last-out of stock now.

most stuff at asos isnt my cup of tea,but that GAP chambray for 11,- was unbeateable,i am wearing it everyday at work.ordered my son a pair of GAP selvagejeans and a flanellshirt,even cheaper than H&M and shipping was free.cheers for that,Paul T!

• 2 weeks later...

X- post from the Lee repro thread.

-

Lee91jand101j015.jpg

Some pics of my '34 101-J. Bought in 2003, worn lightly since 2008.

Never been washed.

Lee91jand101j022.jpg

Love this jacket, sanforized (so I was told), stitching on the inside a mixture of yellow and orange cotton (not poly.)

Lee91jand101j024.jpg

Slowly getting there.

Lee91jand101j016.jpg

Lee91jand101j021.jpg

Some areas still 'hairy'.

Lee91jand101j019.jpg

Beautifull denim.

@ Paul or Fardin- Earlier Edwin denim, made in Japan by ?

.[edit] apologies on the pic quality.

Nice one Heech! Been trying to get my hands on one in size 42. They sell out every time they release them though.

Thanks Rivet.

This one's a 42", I paid a guy (blind) to ship it to me from Japan.

Love this jacket. Hard to wear in - denim is similar to 201/ a greenish hue, but really got alot of depth to it.

It doesn't get enough wear.

thats strange i thought lee used to make their jackets in 42. did you e mail speedway?

aeroleather still seems to have some

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=179&prodid=1521

i wonder wich one the one from aeroleather is. the 1934 or 1937, not that it makes a big difference.

thats strange i thought lee used to make their jackets in 42. did you e mail speedway?

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=displayproduct&subcatid=179&prodid=1521

i wonder wich one the one from aeroleather is. the 1934 or 1937, not that it makes a big difference.

This one is straight from the Edwin/Lee site, 2003.

Fardin, do you know where this earlier edwin denim is made?

I remember someone told me the later models are constructed in China, from denim made in Japan. Also they are sized larger than mine.

@ Rivethead - Will never sell my beloved cowboy jacket, although I have a DS Lvc 1962 557xx in a sz 44" (555) which I may let go for the right price..

would be interesting to ask amanda wich ones they have. i am not sure they will realy know. i think paul said its kurabo. but i am not sure. looks the same as mine. wich is the 1937. i wrote they are made in china, with japanese denim, the newer 1930s cowboy is made in japan again.

though the new ones have a lighter collor much like the 1930 pants.

They are selling them for around $100 with low shipping from Japan. Aero is great if you're in the UK, but they charge $50 to ship to the US. I've tried Speedway last fall when they came out. I'll keep checking.

The thought must have been somehow repulsive to designers then, because elevated side pockets are typical on many jackets and coats from that era. I've got a 1930's peacoat and a 50's mackinaw, both of which feature hand-warmer pockets up on the ripcage. Could it have been a posture thing?

• 2 weeks later...

^Here are a few ideas:

1) Your friend might try contacting Lee jeans (or Lee Euro, as the case may be). I've never done that with a denim piece, but I've ordered replacement buttons from manufacturers for other vintage pieces and with great results -- they usually send them at no cost.

2) Try eBay. Find a shitty old Lee Rider and take one of the buttons from that -- however, riveted buttons might be a tough one to carefully remove and replace but I'm sure a cobbler or tailor could do the work.

3) Remove/replace the top button and move it to the missing spot -- again, might be tricky but a good cobbler should be able to work something.