What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

it looks un-natural.

Looks fake. I wouldn't wear that jacket, it doesn't look like anybody actually did any work in that jacket. Just wore it too tight for too long..

I disagree entirely... What looks unnatural about it? I have a FH Type II that is MUCH earlier on in its evolution (1.5 years?) but shows very similar wear patterns. If I'm lucky it will be half as nice as the one posted above.

And why must it looked "worked in"? Denim that looks worked in is typically far less contrasty than "not worked-in" denim; frankly we see very little of it posted on SuFu and I'm glad for that, as it often just doesn't look as nice as denim that is merely "lived in."

Also, how does it look like it's been worn tight? On a Type II, if it were worn tight you'd see some very obvious pulling/blurring at the blousing sections--nothing out of the ordinary here.

I disagree entirely... What looks unnatural about it? I have a FH Type II that is MUCH earlier on in its evolution (1.5 years?) but shows very similar wear patterns. If I'm lucky it will be half as nice as the one posted above.

And why must it looked "worked in"? Denim that looks worked in is typically far less contrasty than "not worked-in" denim; frankly we see very little of it posted on SuFu and I'm glad for that, as it often just doesn't look as nice as denim that is merely "lived in."

Also, how does it look like it's been worn tight? On a Type II, if it were worn tight you'd see some very obvious pulling/blurring at the blousing sections--nothing out of the ordinary here.

It's just my opinion. By Natural, I mean actually worn for real and not worn to make honeycombs...

Those arms look like they were worn tight, to my eye. What does "pulling" look like?

Here's my thing... I grew up in the 70's where people wore jean jackets because, they used them to work in. I grew up on farms where denim was worn for working in, not for showing off. There's nothing wrong with wearing denim today. Most of the jeans here are worn to show them off to others, that's fine. I do it to. I haven't made hay in my levis in 20 years. If you've ever seen what making hay can do to the front of your jeans then you know what I'm talking about.

But I digress. For me, a Jean Jacket should look like it's been places, done things... like it's lived a life that exciting.

This jacket looks like its been worn to be shown off, that's it.

I don't see incredible frays or worn spots, just honeycombs. Where's the stains? Where's the evidence of doing anything in it?

I don't mean to go on, but you asked and here my thoughts on Jean Jackets.

You may think it's the most wonderful jacket in the world. I don't. But thats what makes this site so great. There's many different views on many different things. But we all love denim.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up this LVC 1967 Type III jacket on superclearance for $30. Was originally priced at $285 (no wonder nobody bought them).

lvcjacket.jpg

I hot soaked it and have been wearing it as much as I can for the last week. Even tried sleeping in it, ha. Really excited to see how it evolves, though it's gonna take a while I'm sure.

^^ double agreed.

Been trying to break in a 37 lee cowboy that's in a super soft jelt type denim for nearly 2 years now with barely any signs of wear. Also an Atelier La Durance chore coat for a good few months which shows promise but is still gonna take a loooong time.

My Sugarcane wrangler 11mj however took no time at all. Even after a handful of wears it was showing some decent fades (see p26).

wildstyle got an amazing looking worn in jeans collection there

Agreed! The jeans completely steal the show in that photo. Good work,wildstyle.

the 507 is my favorite look of a jean jacket. I don't own one yet but I will.

It had the most style put into the design as far as my opinion.

I just picked up a Lee 101J from the bay for $9.99! lots of pics on my blog

DSC07511.jpg

Anyone have any info on the 1950 507XX Denim jacket? Wasn't really in the market for one, but I stumbled upon a used jacket for 100 bucks..Still really dark.

I think if you look back some pages there are some pics of my 507xx jacket. I got it on ebay before all the selvedge hype for like $35 new without tags. It is a great jacket. I just wish I had more chances to wear it.

edit: here is the post

X-post from LVC thread

Levis 507. I bought this raw off of ebay for about $35. I dont know what season, but the buttons say 822 (texas i believe?)

img2237resize.jpg

img2244resize.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

I just put in a bid for this Lee Storm Rider. I hope I get it. Vintage 60's.

Get a little classic Newman vibe going!

77183-004-EB3E6AF7.jpg

Chucko,

This model was made around 1969-1971, and is the last of the wool lined models. Mine was made between 1959-64, which would have been the same era as that film (1962). My ex's jacket has the little 'T' after the word 'stormrider' instead of 'R', which makes hers circa 1959.

Hope you get it Chucko, good luck mate!