What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

x-posted from the Denime thread-

I recently picked up this 557XX jacket on ebay for cheap.

It's real nice, i can tell it has been washed several times including one time by myself, but the denim has plenty indigo left.

Like it's been said before it really doesn't matter that much with good quality Japanese denim how often you wash it, it'll turn out fine no matter what.

sizing on a size L works great for me, even the sleeves, i was a bit worried about it because i'd heard Denime jackets seem to have relatively short sleeves, but that may be only on the older type jackets which look to fit more boxy.

dsc6180websf1.jpg

dsc6179webhw4.jpg

dsc6152webpj0.jpg

dsc6148webpy8.jpg

dsc6160webhz6.jpg

dsc6149webot7.jpg

Very nice Mich, I was looking at that one myself, I think! It's not selvage denim, is it?

Whatever, it looks good.

Thanks, no not selvage, but i do think it's made of the famous XX denim.

The new Flat Head Type II modeled by Carl!

We've got many more photo we just put up on it's page:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=392

fh_typetwo_01_web-794250.jpg

fh_typetwo_05_web-794325.jpg

Gorgeous jacket. Looking forward to see how it wears in

got this the other day, really happy with it.

3191286965_92e8a0f66c.jpg

3191290413_bf60fca1b2.jpg

3191305313_9b29840f83.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently bought a brand new "Lee 101J 1946 sample" from an ebay seller in Japan. It was a steal for the price and was exactly what I was looking for. I do know that Edwin and Real McCoy's both make stuff for Lee Japan and it is labeled as Lee on the garments. I didn't know what to expect as it was a sample. Anyways, the jacket came with this tag:

3220254021_91dba6a475_b.jpg

Since the tag labeled it as Edwin, I was a little bit dismayed. Personally, I just believe that Edwin is in the lower end of the denim quality spectrum (especially when considering Japanese denim!) But a couple days of wearing later I took a peek into the right rocket of the coat and I saw the Lee-esque label so I chose to investigate it a little bit and I was very surprised:

3220252795_05caeb2ae6_b.jpg

So I guess it was actually made by Real McCoy's? Does anyone know any more information on the Lee/Edwin/R. McCoy's deal that is/was/has been happening? It seems pretty interesting.

386, beautiful jacket.

can you post mor pics? any fit pics.

have the same jacket, and mine is from lee japan, but your seems to be made by real mccoys as it says on the union tag. the edwin one is a 1946 jacket, the real mccoys does not have a year and is cut different. the edwin ones were made last year in japan and the year befor that in china, so the cut is different. the japan made is cut bigger then the china version the year before. i dont think that edwin has a bad denim quality. as far as i remmeber the pockets flaps on the edwin version are cut different from the real mccyos , and the bottons on the back are also different,and the size tag of the edwin ones have a regular in it and the real mycoys dont. guess thats a way to tell the difference.

anyway great jacket if not the best :-)

Edwin is definitely not low end when it comes to construction. Many people feel that the quality difference between their Leepros compared to RMC is hardly noteworthy.

i've seen deadstock vintage 30s-50s lees here and the Edwin Lees are pretty much a perfect reproduction of them, right down to the shade of the denim etc.

Downside would be they seem to lose indigo quite easily with a wash, but that may also be the case with the originals, im not sure.

I actually prefer Edwin to RMC for Lee because the RMCs are only repros of full decades, not years.

I don't think those early jackets are sanforized, no. Just the type III's.

Nice jacket though, great price.

-Jake

FInally was able to take some decent pictures of my goto jean jacket. Christmas 2001, my then girlfriend Val bought me this jacket, what was at the time called the Levis "Premium" collection - jean jacket. It's basically a Type 3 jacket, with no hand warmer pockets, and a small 'e'. When I got it, it had no wear; not rigid, but maybe a rinsed. No artificial wear. My relationship with Val went sour just 6 months later, but this jacket remains the best thing that came out of it. Pictures below...

Front:

DSCN1531.jpg?t=1233515035

Back:

DSCN1539.jpg?t=1233515111

Collar Detail:

DSCN1536.jpg?t=1233515140

Left Arm:

DSCN1534.jpg?t=1233515175

Left Arm, Back:

DSCN1535.jpg?t=1233515207

Left Pocket:

DSCN1541.jpg?t=1233515238