Announcement: HWDC Round 2 2013/15

Megatron1505

I can't decide if I want to go with Steel Feathers, or with Iron Heart 301S. Either way, I want to join the contest. Any suggestions on a pair?

(also, I've read that Iron Hearts breathe really well, which might be beneficial living here in Texas, where the coldest it gets is about 35)

Edited by Hakizi

No free tee's, we do not make a profit from this competition and neither do our friends and sponsors. To organise this contest, administrate it, design logos, tee's, flashers, get stuff printed etc..... actually costs us money. We do this because we want to.

i would like to say thats not entirely true.....i doubt that the IH production costs $425 per pair and that there is a heavy markup for profit

is IH even a sponsor? LOL ignore this if they arent. sorry

Edited by TooAwesome

a production with small scale needs a lot of bucks rather than a production with mass/big scale. so, (maybe) that's why nails can be cheaper if you buy in kilos/hundred/in mass scale pieces rather than one nail that you make/create/produce by yourself.

in this case..., that's why one jeans need $425. if you make that jeans in...uhmmm.. maybe in 1000 pieces, you can reduces the price until under $300, maybe :D .

my assumption: 50 pair jeans are small batch production...well, they're need a lot of money. but...i don't know..if the 50 pieces were categorized as a large production :)

I think both arguments are legit. If the production costs for these jeans were 425$ and IH sold the non-contet ones for 495$, they can call themselves a wellfare organisation. Even in small batches, the denim is not exclusively made for the 50 pairs. Also, the BB pattern (which will be tweaked here and there, thus adding costs) will be used on non Contest pairs. So the batch should be as big as other IH items. And these surely come with enough profit marge.

On the other hand, I am sure that beatle and Mega do a shitload of work for free. (Thanks a lot for that!)

I don't expect anything but a good contest though, and that's what we get here. But I don't believe (and also I don't think that was was Mega meant) that IH is practically giving you the jeans without any profit. Not at this pricetag.

Finally, you have random weapons of choice here. You can even get those despiced N&F and show the IH Army and wannabe-Samurais (me) what they can do. To qoute Double XX in another sense: It's not about the jeans, it's about you.

Edited by Max Power

i would like to say thats not entirely true.....i doubt that the IH production costs $425 per pair and that there is a heavy markup for profit

is IH even a sponsor? LOL ignore this if they arent. sorry

This is what I can tell you about some of the manufacturing costs of the Mega Beatle Buster jeans, which you may not be aware of.

- A new batch of 25oz denim has had to be ordered for them, the competition jeans facilitated that demand early.

- Although there will be a batch of "regular" 25oz Busters, they will have different detailing. This detailing comes at a cost.

- Patches for all IH jeans can only be ordered in batches of 200, if we had sold 50 jeans IH would have had to order 4 times as many patches as were required, this cost needed to be factored.

- As Max already stated, the pattern has had to be tweaked for the denim, another cost.

- As I am sure everyone is aware, and as I am sure can be confirmed by any US or European retailer, the cost of importing and retailing products made in Japan (and other parts of Asia), makes the profit a little slimmer than goods made elsewhere already.

Any way you look at it, this jean will cost far more to manufacture than the regular 25oz Buster, and be sold for $70 less. I cannot possibly fathom how this can be seen as anything other than positive support of the competition.

Also, Iron Heart are not a sponsor, they just make the jeans for us at a greatly reduced price, and for that I am truly grateful.

One thing you guys leave out are the shipping costs that are also paid by IH UK.

I also highly doubt that it is like Giles opening his wallet and literally pays for the jeans but I do believe he doesn’t factor in his own costs and his time that also should be paid in a way. But nobody knows except himself.

But then, no one was or is forced to buy this special pair. If someone wants it, I think he shouldn’t care how much money one makes or not. It’s still cheaper than the original price (which might be too high or too low. But it sells so…supply and demand. End of story). And if he cares…well…as I said no one was forced to buy it.

On top of that...talk about prices isn’t the goal of this contest. This contest should bring the denim guys together and compete in a friendly way. If you want those jeans, buy them. If you don’t, just pass them.

Exactly like Flo already said: there are N&F, PBJ, Steel Feathers, Flathead, Fearless, Kamikaze Attack, and maybe more. Bring on the variety!

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Let's not get caught up on price; if you think the cost of the competition jeans is too high, simply vote with your wallet and just buy a cheaper brand. Regardless of whether or not IH is making a profit, they're being incredible just offering a competition jean at all. Don't forget, they could have just as easily not offered a competition jean. As someone who only found sufu fairly recently, the dedication and care that's going into this project is just astounding.

I was gonna go with a Pair of Oni's but Money is tight. Going with a Pair of N&F Heavy Slub instead. Still, I may have something else on the way. More heavier that will make my trinity complete.

I really dislike the blood-stopping front pockets of the N&F jeans though, but I got to.

That's always been my complaint with N&F jeans. They might as well be fake pockets like on girls jeans.

Edited by Hakizi

Sponsorship Announcement

Our buddies at DC4 in Berlin are offering 10% discount on any Samurai or The Flat Head jeans, which qualify for the HWDC. They are also working on a "special prize" for the comp, so stay tuned. Anyone wishing to take advantage of this discount, please contact Beautiful _Freak for details, as he has kindly set this up with Daniel.

Only 10 days until we reveal all the (current) details of the competition, and I am very excited. I just took a look at what the Grand Champion "Yokozuna" actually wins, and it is very, very impressive.

Definitely the biggest prize ever offered in a denim competition I would guess. I think people will be genuinely shocked, amazed, and thrilled.

Wow, amazing work here done by Mega and Beatle. You're doing a lot for the raw denim world!!!!