You know you're addicted...

Chicken

Does anybody else keep a Word document keeping track of your daily denim wear?  I write down which pair of jeans I wear I each day, then add up the numbers at the end of the week.  Additionally, I record the number of washes for each pair and the day they were washed, etc.  I find that this really comes in handy, but when I've told people about this they've thought I sounded a bit crazy.

Does anybody else keep a Word document keeping track of your daily denim wear?  I write down which pair of jeans I wear I each day, then add up the numbers at the end of the week.  Additionally, I record the number of washes for each pair and the day they were washed, etc.  I find that this really comes in handy, but when I've told people about this they've thought I sounded a bit crazy.

I do something similar but with the notes app on my iPhone. 

I used an iPhone app for a while, but got so annoyed over the fact that it would allow me to sort my denim collection (in alphabetic order) that I stopped.

Can't stop thinking about that app - I probably have to look for better apps or learn to live with it...

Life is just too short for all this^

I dont care how many wears/washes date of wash ect that my denim has had so why would i wast my time documenting it for prosterity? If i dont care im sure nobody else gives a crap. Its bordering on ridiculous.

Comes in handy for what btw?

There should be a tag inside the jeans where you can document the washes. It wouldnt have to be too big, either.

Or maybe you could write it on the inside of the pockets or somewhere like that.

I think Im gonna do that when I wash my Nudies for the first time.

If i dont care im sure nobody else gives a crap. Its bordering on ridiculous.

Comes in handy for what btw?

Any time somebody posts pictures of some faded jeans, a person or dozen invariably says, "sick fadez bro, how many washes?  how much wear time?"  Keeping track of this information (which requires about thirty seconds per day to update a file on my computer) is worth it, IMO. 

If somebody wears the exact same pair of jeans every day for a year it doesn't require much thought but since I split my wear time between three pairs I can keep track of everything a lot better with a little record keeping.

Any time somebody posts pictures of some faded jeans, a person or dozen invariably says, "sick fadez bro, how many washes?  how much wear time?"

You simply reply "I dont know or even care"

Edit- You are not even documenting your washes for your own self satisfaction but for the benefit of others who might ask you a question about washing.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Well, I DO keep track of the info for my own satisfaction (I'm a somewhat meticulously organized person in general.)  But I figured that went without saying, apparently not.

Since I do work for a Japanese denim company, after all, people frequently come to me with questions about how stuff fades over time, and since I like being helpful and giving people as detailed responses as possible, wear/wash information comes in handy.

If someone is posting on Superdenim at all, they're probably too obsessed with their jeans.  If somebody is paying $350 for their jeans, the whole "I'm too cool to care about how I look" thing seems rather disingenuous.

Well, I DO keep track of the info for my own satisfaction (I'm a somewhat meticulously organized person in general.)  But I figured that went without saying, apparently not.

If someone is posting on Superdenim at all, they're probably too obsessed with their jeans.  If somebody is paying $350 for their jeans, the whole "I'm too cool to care about how I look" thing seems rather disingenuous.

Dont flatter yourself Cold Summer, i care less about your apparent meticulous organisation as i do my denim wash date.

I did not say im too cool to care about the way i looked i said "I dont care how many wears/washes date of wash ect"

Dont flatter yourself Cold Summer, i care less about your apparent meticulous organisation as i do my denim wash date.

I did not say im too cool to care about the way i looked i said "I dont care how many wears/washes date of wash ect"

I have no idea why you insist on being such a belligerent asshole, but I'll spell it out for you since apparently you're having a hard time understanding:

- I say I keep a record of wear for each of my jeans.  As several other people after me affirmed, I'm not the only one who does this.  The main reason I do it is because denim changes over time (obviously) and keeping a record of wear time and washes gives me a better idea of cause and effect in the way it evolves over time;

- Treating you with more civility than you deserve after your original obnoxious comment, I answer your question about why it "comes in handy" (because it allows me to give better information to others about what to expect after wearing/washing a pair of jeans in this manner.  Apparently, I am a terrible person for attempting to be helpful to others instead of being an asshole and responding "lol who cares" when people ask me this sort of thing.) 

- Then you make the allegation that I'm not doing this "for my own satisfaction" after I answered your simple question.  Apparently, I was supposed to write a full-length essay on the subject.

Quit being a troll.  If you don't care to keep track of your wear/wash time, that's fine.  But why on earth do you feel the need to come in here and belittle somebody who does?  I'd expect this sort of comment from somebody who finds the whole high-end denim thing stupid, and I probably wouldn't care since I don't expect most people outside of the community to care about denim.

But this is a forum for people who are already far obsessed with denim beyond what most folks consider normal.  People who take pictures of their outfits (including you), the way their denim evolves, and who discuss all sorts minute details that would seem irrelevant to non-hobbyists.  People wear $1000 outfits to dress up like blue-collar workers from the 1940s who'd laugh at the whole concept of their dirty work clothes as fashion.  On top of that, we're posting in the (mostly-lighthearted) thread about all the goofy stuff people do when they're too obsessed with denim.  There are people who own twenty or thirty pairs of $350 jeans, people who sit in the bathtub to soak their jeans, people who absolutely never wash their jeans, and yet the thing you find dumb enough to complain about is the guy who takes twenty seconds a day to type out what pair of jeans he wore? 

Megatron:  Which magazine's that?

Edited by Cold Summer

Even though I don't go to the extent that Kyle does, I do think that it's helpful to document this kind of stuff.  I have a habit of timing how long things take (trips, meals, etc) because I like having a better understanding of... life I guess.

I think it could be helpful to document denim stuff because it makes you more knowledgeable in the area.  For instance, if you've had some flat heads for a few years and decided you wanted some more denim, how are you supposed to remember the characteristics of those you already have without writing it down?  Do you want denim that fades fast, or stays dark? You really have no clue about how your old brands wear unless you document it, in which case you have your own anecdotal evidence to help you later. Some might not care, but I think it makes at least a little sense.

Edited by itsbenhere

Not only do I keep detail of how many wears and washes, I track how many minutes I've sat (and the materials of what I sit upon), stood, walked and danced.

I track humidity, how long they've been in the sun, rain, and wind.

Ok I'm obviously being facetious. Double 0 was a bit abrasive but I think the point I interpret him as making is valid.

'Wear' is such a black box; it's a catch-all term for a really complex set of factors. I've worn and washed the same jeans in a very similar timeframe to friends, and due to body size, shape, how we wear it (cuffed, low on the hips etc.), the activities we undertake, had completely different outcomes in terms of fading.

So I find the wear/wash info pretty useless to be honest, and don't bother keeping track at all.

If you do, fair enough, but you're tracking one very superficial dimension of data that is given far too much prominence IMO, in relation to the broad swathe of factors involved.

I have a spreadsheet with measurements of all of my denim, pre- and post-soak.  I find this helps me to compare and evaluate potential purchases with what I have in my inventory.

Once upon a time I was monogamous with my denim, dedicating my attention to one pair at a time.  So, I would also note in the spreadsheet when I started/stopped wearing a particular pair.

However, lately, I've been more promiscuous and wearing several pairs depending on the occasion (for casual wear, work, light duty, heavy duty, etc.).  It's nice not worrying about people judging me for wearing the same jeans every day, although it's hard to keep track of exact periods of wear.

In general, my jeans get increasingly worn harder (like to keep them dark to begin with) so there is not necessarily a linear relationship between the degree and the duration of wear.

Perhaps I can contract Cold Summer to help me document my wear ;).

Kyle- Keeping a word doc of your denim wash dates in the anticipation that someone might ask you a question and need a highly detailed answer just smacks of pathetic, desperate attention seeking neediness to me. What are you wanting... acceptance? praise? who knows.

I am not going to respond to all the comments that you have raised because it reads like an essay and frankly i can not be bothered, Although abrasive (thanks Aries ;) ) i at least have the dignity not to resort to name calling.

You need to grow up.

Double 0 Soul, what's the point of antagonizing someone over the Internet? Seriously. He pretty clearly stated that he is a meticulous person in general and considering that he now WORKS for a denim company it makes all the more sense to know everything that he can in order to be better at his job.

You are a grown man with over 800 posts on a denim forum. Normally I wouldn't mention this, but because you seem to believe that Kyle has some sort of insane interest in his denim, it seems you need to be reminded.

Unless i am mistaken Kyle is an interpreter for Flat Head. The fact that he speaks fluent Japanese is very impressive but he has nothing to do with the manufacturing, design, sourcing or development process of the denim. His job role would be the same if he was an interpreter for HSBC why are you guys so impressed with this? If he wants to be better at his job he would be better using his time to learn another language rather than making highly detailed word documents.

To answer your question i am under a bit of pressure at work at the moment, woke up in a grumpy mood and had to work on Saturday :angry: So i was taking no prisoners with my initial comment, It just seems to have snowballed to where we are now.

But hey, we are where we are.

Alright now you're just being an asshole, he's not trying to show you that your opinion is wrong, he is just trying to show you why his works for him. But you to blatantly call him out, and demean his job is really disrespectful. Then to blame it because you have to work on a Saturday is just a lame excuse.

Edited by bradl

Removing the personalities from this, I think (without wishing to offend, simply stating my opinion) that it is very much a cultural thing in North America to record and obsess over data and statistics than it is a European thing. 

Think about the sports angle, Baseball and NFL in particular are just packed with data and stats. In Europe we tend to have a much more lax attitude to the recording of empirical data, which is a definite failing of mine as I get asked all sorts of shit that I really should know with the HWDC and my other project.

Sadly, and without a hint of irony or "too cool for school-ness" about it, I'm just not built that way....I try but it's just not me.

Alright now you're just being an asshole, he's not trying to show you that your opinion is wrong, he is just trying to show you why his works for him. But you to blatantly call him out, and demean his job is really disrespectful. Then to blame it because you have to work on a Saturday is just a lame excuse.

Can everyone stop calling me names please? asshole, obnoxious, belligerent, troll to name a few. If i was the sensitive type it could really hurt my feelings.

I am not demeaning his job i was just pointing out the fact he is an interpreter therefor his job role does not require the recording of denim wear/wash but does require language skills. If i remember rightly this was his dream job so no disrespect intended there.

Not blaming anything on the fact that i had to work Saturday just trying to put my slightly crotchety first post into perspective.