Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Interesting subject.

Wikipedia:

A myth about steel-toe boots is that the inserts actually create a more dangerous environment, because a significant weight could cause the steel to act like a blade, severing the toe instead of the weight simply crushing the foot. However, the weight needed to induce such a failure would result in such severe damage to the toe that amputation would be necessary anyway.[11].

lol at those fake red wings; i hope the guy wearing them was aware he was wearing fakes and didnt start showing off his 'genuine' RW's to Marcus.

Paul T, looking good as always

after a second look at those new Whites last, im not so sure I like them; they just dont look very Whites like, if u know what i mean

when the crepe soles of my roys are eaten away by the concrete; then im going for commando soles or vibram half soles; most likely the last option. Definitely commando sole for my Leathersoul Jumper boots; those just scream for commando military style soles; never understood why leathersoul went with double leather for this style

^Nick worked for White's for years, then opened up his own shop in downtown Spokane a few years ago. He learned the trade from White's, so the boots I saw were very similar in build, but cheaper in price. The shop is a hole in the wall.

There are a few other bootmakers around WA who left White's to start their own operation, Cruz Custom Boots is another.

thanks always coleslawyum~

i am getting my new Whites sent back and rebuilt.. mostly likly with a mini vibram and traditional heel.

i really can't stand the 2021 chunky unit sole that i have on it,

in my use this past two weeks.

i kinda fell like it is just marshmallowy, offer very little,

it is just not practical for NY,

it offers almost no traction besides clean dry streets, and gets eaten up pretty fast on the concert. at least the Christy offers better traction...

Go WESCO for your next pair of works boots. My Jobmasters have a regular sole & heel - with two heel lifts lower. The WESCO guys will charge you a bit more to work on the fit (one time custom fit charge) but they do a great job.

Northwestern Last has it's limitations for sure and if you're not getting a boot with White's Archease system, then IMO, you should just go WESCO.

William Lennons, in the flesh. Derby, with a plain toe cap, mid brown Latigo. Been wearing these for a week - really, really, comfy. Stiff sole, absolutely unyielding, first I've had like this, but works quite welll. (With RoyxCone)

Roycrotch.jpg

how d dyou size paul? do they ship abroad?

Thanks morse.

Nick's do a nice engineer.What's your opinion of their quality relative to White's?

I would say very comparable..almost the same process and the materials seemed similar too.

It wouldn't hurt to call Bakershoe and ask Kyle Baker what he thinks though, if you're considering a pair.

I asked last weekend when I was at the Madison Ave store about how long the restoration takes - wait time is in the 3-4 month range - they've gotten incredibly popular lately, and it's way cheaper to restore a pair than it is to buy a new pair

In NYC - You can try B. Nelson, Moulded Shoe, Eneslow...

B. Nelson is going to have the best sole options IMO

I see from Free and Easy that William Lennon are starting to see interest in their product from the Japanese market. Better buy 'em up ....might be your last chance to get in before the hypebeasts do and the price trebles! :)

If that works for William Lennon, great. They are unique. If I could get a day or so free, I might try and get down to their factory for photos.

how d dyou size paul? do they ship abroad?

THese are absolutely regular UK size - coleslawyum, fresco or denimjunky might know more about how that translate to, say, US sizes. I wear 8 in Tricker's and everything else, and 8 in these t- they have more wiggle room around the toes but otherwise similar sizing. For the first day or so they felt bulky around the tongue but now they're comfy as anything. Check out their WW1 roughouts, too, which a lot of people have the hots for.

Yes, they ship abroad. It's good to call them first to check out the options, PM me if you want me to call them for you, happy to do so. My boots are the Derby in a different colour, different toe, they don't seem to charge any more for this, or even for different heights etc etc. I bet they have more options they don't mention on the website

Downside of William Lennon: I just broke the edge off a french oak floorboard in them. They are heavy mofos.

Interesting subject.

Wikipedia:

A myth about steel-toe boots is that the inserts actually create a more dangerous environment, because a significant weight could cause the steel to act like a blade, severing the toe instead of the weight simply crushing the foot. However, the weight needed to induce such a failure would result in such severe damage to the toe that amputation would be necessary anyway.[11].

thats real interesting

The conversion from UK sizing to US sizing differs from last to last as well as shoemaker. For instance, I'm a 8E in a C&J 348 last and a 7.5E Skye's. I wear an 8.5 D in Alden's Barrie, Trubalance and Modified last. Usually UK E fitting is a US D/M fitting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, size down 1 for US size usually, but the rest is a crapshoot.

Guest denimefreak21oz
Why would you wear a non-steel toe boot on a construction site?

yeah safety 1st..this boots r classic men..i also got pair of this baby..but im not so cruel to wear it in such place.peace

Guest denimefreak21oz
and now for something completely different:a customer turned up in the shop today wearing fake RW's:

5375012585_c02042a4e4_z.jpg

5375612338_e9b0f9f616.jpg

LEATHER UPPRR ALL MADE BY HANDS?

at least they got the size conversion right,US 10=44 european...

this i not a fake rw..but it is underlicen by rw..made in china..do u guys notice..almost evry big nama of brnd r made in china..for asia market

I can barely understand what you wrote, but even if Red Wing licensed their name, they obviously have good quality control even for their Chinese boots. This is definitely fake.

This. Plenty of Red Wings are made in China, but none have such obvious quality issues.

this i not a fake rw..but it is underlicen by rw..made in china..do u guys notice..almost evry big nama of brnd r made in china..for asia market

i am aware of made in china redwings,an example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EPQI16//ref=nosim/thestyleforum-20

judging from the pic alone the difference in "quality" is obvious to me.

Ringhio boots. Figured I'd post since there's barely info on them in English. Sole is pretty sturdy, upper not as much (might be on purpose and since they're unlined, it makes them a little more floppy). Feels a bit thicker than my goat leather jacket, and has a similar texture and color.

tumblr_lfgmtvxhzn1qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lfgmshDGE71qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lfgmrrZhrR1qcq3abo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lfgmpfXCCy1qcq3abo1_500.jpg