Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I use Obenauf's LP as well on my 877's.

So I'm gonna have some cowboy boots custom made....I have all the details down as far as the kind of leather, lining, last and heel shape etc...

What recommendations do you all have for the heel? Any precautions/procedures/materials in mind that would help the durability?

Okay, so I think i'm going to bite the bullet on some Alden 405s.

I could go to the San Francisco store to buy them, but is there a place online that sells them cheaper? I may just go to the store to get them sized then buy them elsewhere, but maybe there is some advantage to buying them from the store.

You might save like 30-50 bucks online, but you have to pay for shipping, you have to wait for them (who likes that), etc. etc. Just support your local store.

I remember when I first got my wesco ... my chins were bloody for the first week. I soaked them in the tub and wore them till they fit my foot.

Maybe try that. Soak the boots and then wear them till they dry. Go for a long, long walk in them...

im gonna try this, thanks

Mud meet '05. Was there a Dartmouth guy there who was pretty good at cookie stack but knocked it all over?

There's a Dartmouth alum who graduated '06 and is still around who at mud meet one year had 39 cookies, and was too cocky so went for 40 and lost it all.

Not sure if I remember that but our A team guy had the same thing happen to him that year and I lucked out. We were always better at the finesse events as opposed to the power events. It's hard to compete against Davey and Megabubba from UMO.

While you're up there definitely get in touch with my boy Foster at Colby. He does this blog A Restless Transplant. Cool kid, good stories about traditional American clothing.

jullian22.jpg?w=460&h=345

viberg semi-dress - what do you guys think?

That's good looking shit. I just saw a pair of dark brown iron rangers for sale in Daves on 6th ave that I will definitely be buying in the near future. Definitely. So hot.

How much higher quality are the "ultimate" Indy boots? It doesn't seem like many people in this thread get them over the 405s.

the regular 405s are built to the trubalance standards not the alden new england standards. so the general craftsmanship is better, you wont see welt stitching going beyond the welt or uneven stitching and such. along with full leather lining, leather sole with commando half sole and better and darker leather. They're quite a step up. I still just got the regular 405s, maybe one day I'll get the ultimates.

the regular 405s are built to the trubalance standards not the alden new england standards. so the general craftsmanship is better, you wont see welt stitching going beyond the welt or uneven stitching and such. along with full leather lining, leather sole with commando half sole and better and darker leather. They're quite a step up. I still just got the regular 405s, maybe one day I'll get the ultimates.

Interesting. I wasn't even considering a pair until I was able to make a decent amount of money by selling a bunch of my old shit. I'd really only be spending 150 to get the ultimates...Tough decision.

I have both.

The ulitmates are much thicker being lined and make my feet sweat more.

They're much heavier too and when I go from them back to my regular 405's it's like wearing gym shoes in the feel of them.

I like the Ultimates quality and have noticed that leather is wearing much like a leather jacket and not like a boot in terms of fading.

They're much "softer" on walking than the standard 405's too. It's probably that commando sole...

together

3574869986_617ba12131.jpg?v=0

color loss

3574870172_f65505fd6b.jpg?v=0

3574872368_c811dc685f_m.jpg

3574871622_910fc6afb2_m.jpg

and just getting artsy...

3574062937_cb7990cf72_m.jpg

Thanks for the comparison shots.

Yeah, the Ultimates look better, but it's still a difficult decisions. I like the 405s, but I almost feel like I'm getting less "boot" for the money than I did with my RW GTs.

Thanks for the comparison shots.

Yeah, the Ultimates look better, but it's still a difficult decisions. I like the 405s, but I almost feel like I'm getting less "boot" for the money than I did with my RW GTs.

even the regular 405s are a big step up from the GTs.

those ult. indies look lovely... I wish I could get a hold of a pair of those without getting raped for shipping and customs.

jupp, will get raped in 6 month. just preordered them.

nevertheless, they are still cheaper after taxes than buying aldens directly in germany.

you are right, the 'standard' 405s are really lightweight compared to e.g. the GTs.

question to the german heads: any boot (and denim) shop I have to visit in hamburg (except riders room)?