Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Yeah I figured it would not really be practical at all. Just pretty :) I am hoping I can find a retailer who does custom White's besides Baker with some different sole options so I can find some Vibram ones I am really fond of.

bakers offer all the vibrams ole options from whites email them

whites dont offer half soles except wesco's

your in la right ? drive over to eddies have him put some ha;f soles on those

yeah, it seems strange they don't offer any with a vibram half sole. If they did, I would definitely order that.

they dont offer half soles at all

I wonder if we should have a beat to shit boot contest… just a thought.

i already posted pictures of my worst (my old daytons) and they aren't that bad, other than the cracked leather.

So in that case, what have you owners of leather soled work boots done to ensure their safety and beauty? Do you keep them out of water at all times? Do you actually need to do anything to them?

just use em stop worrying about them pls theres always a way to restore them back but not 100% though

scratched up leather will turn dark when you start to put contditioners or watever in them

search this thread pls

I wore my single leather soled whites when walking the dogs along the coast once. I don't think they liked seawater too much.

I would be concerned about daily wet conditions in leather soles because if they never get a chance to dry out properly, surely they will deteriorate and rot eventually. I'd say go with a full vibram. One of the lower profile ones if you don't want a commando.

he said hes going to soak the whole boots in water

he already knows that its slippery cause someone already answered that anyways just got get yourself some rubber boots and get whites for dry work

Can someone recommend a replacement sole for my recently purchased Alden 405s? I want something more rugged that I could do the occasional casual hike with. I know that isn't the point of these boots, but it would be nice for them to be capable of doing so when need be.

damn proteus, I actually bought a pair of those last week for $250 thinking it was a great deal. Well at least I am comforted by the fact that they don't have the size I bought listed anymore, so it may have been gone by this time if I had slept.

Also for the alden 405's, maybe you can try putting a sole like the "alden commando sole" on them. they have examples on the Alden of Carmel website. I think you can probably have it put over the old soles but I I'm not sure, and you can probably get something similar to it done for cheaper than directly from Alden. Once my original soles wear out or if I get tired of slipping on icy pavement in them next winter, I'll probably get the commando soles put on my 405's as well.

BTW can anyone comment on if the commando soles work well on icy sidewalks? much appreciated!

So should I just go to the local cobbler and ask for a more rugged sole? I'd imagine that he would do it a lot cheaper than Alden. I can always replace it later for something nicer, I guess.

Chicken had a nice honey vibram sole on his indies. Maybe someone can link a picture. He even had a picture of rugged activities..... Go to a good cobbler who can deal with welted boots and get whatever sole you like.

I think these are what we're talking about.

He zip-lined with these, among other activities. I think a little hiking will present no problems.

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

I didn't re-read how he got it. Maybe miz's Greek guy downtown? PM him (Chicken or miz, although miz might take awhile, he's busy right now).

I put a double leather sole with cat's paws half soles on mine. They seem pretty rugged, nothing like chickens though.

Can anybody recommend me a pair of black leather boots that look similar to clarks desert boots and around $150 or less?

Redwing 595 chukka boot. Igot my dad a pair for his bday, they're pretty cool.