Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

hi fardin,

here is the way to use a brannock device in a store in vienna, to determine your alden 405 size and nearly every other last (except e.g. leydon).

(1) size (take the length of the longest foot)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Pt9a6yuW-GM/ShqBnqs3IAI/AAAAAAAADpg/g5od7tS_LN0/s720/PC140290.JPG

(2) the arch measurements in the middle are not that important for neutral lasts like trubalanace or barrie, but play an important role in the modiefied last

(3) compare the length with the numbers on top the width measurement - in my case not the AA, but the one corresponding with 12 = C.

this will be your perfect size for trubalance and modified last!

the slider is not indicating your width!

RingXRing?authkey=Gv1sRgCP2p4cKOz4DJugE#5339722805001300994RingXRing?authkey=Gv1sRgCP2p4cKOz4DJugE#5339722805001300994http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Pt9a6yuW-GM/ShqBmZ8nrAI/AAAAAAAADpc/ssZGaj2hfOM/s720/PC140279.JPG

I hope that helps!

Try to get such a Brannock device, it will help a lot.

I used the one at Burg & Schild, which they only have as decoration in the shop window ;-)

just in terms of quality of build and fit. the aldens are a lot more refined and comfortable.

thats not to say that I don't like the GTs, I think they look awesome. I used to have a pair, but had to sell them because my foot grew (yeah, ridiculous cause I'm about to be 23 years old.) and made it impossible for me to wear a whole lot of shoes I've had for years (worst was my desert boots i've had for like 5 years *resoled once*, and my 875's barely fit)

thats it, im buying a brannock device to measure my feet and then order my first pair of aldens. I dont like the idea to shell out 350+ dollars for a boot that might not fit + there are no shops around here that have that device.

Turntabloid, did you win the lotto or something? Maybe we should combine orders or does that not matter much for customs? How much import tax does germany charge for leather shoes? I believe its 13% in Belgium.

shoes that are on my to-cop list:

- regular Alden Indy (or ultimate)

- Alden Black AF89 - Alden of Carmel

- Alden PBT color8 cordovan crepe sole - Leather Soul

- Whites Hathorn Northwest

shit, i need a second job (and a third one)

brannock device had me measured at an 11. i wear a 9.5 c/e or a 10 b/d in Alden comfortably.

ANY shoe store should have one of these.....they just might not know it's called a Brannock Device. Save your $50 and look around.

thats it, im buying a brannock device to measure my feet and then order my first pair of aldens. I dont like the idea to shell out 350+ dollars for a boot that might not fit + there are no shops around here that have that device.

Turntabloid, did you win the lotto or something? Maybe we should combine orders or does that not matter much for customs? How much import tax does germany charge for leather shoes? I believe its 13% in Belgium.

shoes that are on my to-cop list:

- regular Alden Indy (or ultimate)

- Alden Black AF89 - Alden of Carmel

- Alden PBT color8 cordovan crepe sole - Leather Soul

- Whites Hathorn Northwest

shit, i need a second job (and a third one)

Going to the Alden store in SF tomorrow to get sized and possibly buy a pair of 405s. Can't wait. If only they had a better selection of boots...

go to alden of carmel, it is there too!

SLAB, we have similar taste in shoes - Ultimate and AF89 had to be it, can't wait!

combining orders would only make sense if it decreases shipping costs. tx is around the same here.

Found this by accident...the Wolverine 1000 mile boots

http://www.porhomme.com/2009/02/wolverine-resurrects-with-heritage-collection-1000-mile-boot/

and here:

http://wolverine1000mile.com/

What ya think?

wolv1000.jpg

Deeeeeeefinitely digging these 1000 mile boots. Want more information. What I've been able to find so far:

Horween leather

Goodyear welt

Stacked leather sole

re-introduction of the original boot that made Wolverine successful

clean, simple 6-inch boot, in the vein of Redwing GT's

Made in the U.S.A. (though the other boots in the collection are not)

According to men.style.com, it'll be available in July for $325 via Scoopnyc.com

Anyone have more info? How will the quality stack up to the price?

those wolverines are really looking good! I with they made the one with the pointed toe cap that was from their catalog from the 30's

Just bought my first pair of 405s today from the Alden store in SF:

IMG_2971.jpg

Got laces and some polish for free:

IMG_2973.jpg

Really excellent service at the store. Got the perfect size and the two guys working there were knowledgeable and good to talk to.

Now I need a belt to match. Any recommendations? They had some nice ones there, but I don't feel like spending 90 dollars.

jsut give the guy an email send your boots to him with instructions on a piece of paper. and wait 2 months paypal him the money

hi guys, need a little help here.

just a quick question, is there a huge difference in length between US7 and US7.5 is Red Wing?

I got a RW 9111, US7.5 and they fit a bit big, I don't want them to look like clown shoes, but if the difference between US7 and US7.5 is not really noticeable from the outside, I'm just gonna put an insole instead of getting a smaller size.

thanks

More obnoxious questions:

When I order my White's Bounty Hunters, I want the double leather sole, but I am not sure how practical it is in a job where I will be walking through dirty water and grime all day. How do you need to treat leather soles for them to live long healthy lives? Also, of the leathers White's offers, is there any one more suited to getting wet and looking no worse for the wear? Treatments for leather that work well? Oiling?

More obnoxious questions:

When I order my White's Bounty Hunters, I want the double leather sole, but I am not sure how practical it is in a job where I will be walking through dirty water and grime all day. How do you need to treat leather soles for them to live long healthy lives? Also, of the leathers White's offers, is there any one more suited to getting wet and looking no worse for the wear? Treatments for leather that work well? Oiling?

i have no experience with the leather soled whites, but i would think that for a job that involved walking through water all day, the vibram sole might be a better choice, if only for grip on wet surfaces.

i have the lace to toe smoke jumpers (posted a pic a couple of pages back) with vibram soles and never had a problem with wet feet.

Yeah I figured it would not really be practical at all. Just pretty :) I am hoping I can find a retailer who does custom White's besides Baker with some different sole options so I can find some Vibram ones I am really fond of.

Yeah I figured it would not really be practical at all. Just pretty :) I am hoping I can find a retailer who does custom White's besides Baker with some different sole options so I can find some Vibram ones I am really fond of.

yeah, it seems strange they don't offer any with a vibram half sole. If they did, I would definitely order that.

have you emailed bakers about soles? They will probably have access to all the Vibram soles whites offer. The problem with getting a Gibran sole from whites is that it won't be a half sole... Which look nicer. If you order leather soles you can get a half sole added by one of the good cobblers mentioned in this thread. Bill used to offer this via the stronghold too. This'll cost you though.

I think I'm just gonna do the regular single leather sole. It should be ok for my lifestyle and I'm not trying to go buck wild spending money on these things...seeing as how I don't have much in the first place. But if I had it my way, and I needed a rubber sole, the rubber half sole would be the only way to go.