Levi's Vintage Clothing

Here are some details of my '44 JP LVC. The denim is kind of generic w/ a very loose cheesecloth weave yet seems very tough in spite of this. Denim was soft when new; however, after hot soak and line dry, it took on a very course, tough almost wire like texture/feel which is pretty cool, but that might have more to do with the limestone soft water in my area which has that effect on line tried fabric. The over all appearance of the jeans is nothing like anything I would expect from '40's era vintage jeans. They just seem to have a contrived plastic look and feel about them. A nd for the $285 I paid, I think they're a total scam rip off. No wear pics for these, I'd love to give them the test, but they're about 2 sizes too lrg. even after hot soak. I'll probably toss 'em out on Ebay for very low price to someone who will appreciate them and give them a good home.

44s501-1.jpg?t=1240893933

Front profile/cut

44s7.jpg?t=1240894221

This illustrates the series of cool crimps and wrinkles developed after hot soak.

Over all, It almost has a seersucker type look to it.

44s5.jpg?t=1240894562

Laurel Wreath waist button and V stitch. Buttons are

nonmagnetic (aluminum, zinc?) whereas my '33 and '37 are.

I assumed '44 orig. were/are steel?

44s4.jpg?t=1240894344

Coin pocket and pocket rivets. Flawless construction throughout.

Not one stitch is out of place on entire jean.

44s10.jpg?t=1240894308

Painted eagle arc.

44s3.jpg?t=1240894315

Tab is longer than US version measuring a hair over 3/4'' in length

vs 5/8'' US. It looks very odd.

44s8.jpg?t=1240894332

Very thin leather patch. With crappy waxy appearance.

44s9.jpg?t=1240894605

Herringbone pocket pouch

44s6.jpg?t=1240894671

Interior pocket rivet detail

44s11.jpg?t=1240894842

Thin 1/2'' redline selvage. Note crimping here too.

btw.: I was bored and took some other photos of my favi 2005 44s, the came with pocket clothes bags, but with stamped rivets instead of plain, the cut is really great somthing between 47s and 33s, really nice with a high waist. and please don´t say again cone denim doesn´t look vintage like ;)

img2854.jpg

img2855i.jpg

img2862.jpg

img2869.th.jpg

that's the second time I've seen that video and the two things that pop for me are the horn rim glasses and the way too pretty boy casting. Everything else seems to flow in the time period pretty well...

btw.: I was bored and took some other photos of my favi 2005 44s, the came with pocket clothes bags, but with stamped rivets instead of plain, the cut is really great somthing between 47s and 33s, really nice with a high waist. and please don´t say again cone denim doesn´t look vintage like ;)

img2854.jpg

img2855i.jpg

img2862.jpg

img2869.th.jpg

Those look great. Some of the leather patches on US LVC are good and some aren't. The one on my 1933 501s 555s is really nice and is the one on my new 1917s but the leather patch on my 37-501s and 1927s suck.

My 55s and 44s had a very similar cut.

On a completely unrelated matter, and just for you to browse over...

(I remember now, got these on Ebay. Sorry for the delay...)

Interesting content, and plenty of inaccuracy, but they are kind of quirky in their own right.

Front and back of each.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

001-1.jpg

010.jpg

002-1.jpg

More to come...

Thanks for the pics Dr Heech. It's funny in the type 2 1953 card they talk about how the neck tag changed to paper from leather in 1955, which is both completely irrelevant to the jacket in question, and shows that they erred in making that reproduction since it seems to have a papertag ;)

But the cards are still lovely and reinforces my love for the type 1. Does anyone know when the type 1/2 changed from the boxy cut to the long, slim cut? I'm all about the boxy cut and want to stay far away from any slim denim jackets!

It's funny in the type 2 1953 card they talk about how the neck tag changed to paper from leather in 1955, which is both completely irrelevant to the jacket in question, and shows that they erred in making that reproduction since it seems to have a papertag ;)

Those booklets are slightly confusing as they use a mix of original and repro photos. Most of the LVC 507 repros have the leather tag, certainly the 2001 edition, from around the time of those catalogues, does.

Lee's jackets went slimline around 1946 & helped them steal a march on Levi's; Levi's already had a slimline jacket in their Western Wear catalogue, but changed to the 557 fairly late - by the early 50s, every cowboy wanted a slim-fit.

Just copy/paste the whole thing into a new message in that thread.

Or just click reply with quote and do the above from there!

Easy as that!

I,m obviously doing something wrong. Tried both ways, nothing.

!st way..can copy, but not paste.

2nd way, just cant get started at all.

Just alot of swearing at my lap top.

I,m obviously doing something wrong. Tried both ways, nothing.

!st way..can copy, but not paste.

2nd way, just cant get started at all.

Just alot of swearing at my lap top.

Had several more attempts. F*** all. Is there a computer literacy thread for the over 40's??

Sorry Cotton.

Yeah, LVC booklets are pretty cool, but once you've seen one you've seen them all. LS&Co. has a habit of marketing their romantic history, instead of accurately describing details about their LVC products. It's always the same ol' bit about the history of the patent, red tab, hidden rivet, cowboys, crotch rivet, scratched saddles, oldest pair and so and so on -- yaaawn! I mean shut up already Levi's -- we know the drill. I want to know about the shit I'm paying $200+ for, not some f**king broken record history lesson. It'd be nice to see Levi's issue a booklet/hang tag on one pair of LVC telling me in unquestionable detail how the replica differs from the original, how it's made, where it's made and what materials and techniques are used so I know what I'm buying.

I guess LS&Co. figures that as long as something has 'LEVI'S' stampted on it, there's no need to tell their customers exactly what it is because they know that their customers are not buying a product, but are buying the romatic history behind the name.

Hey guys,

Is this the jacket you're referring to?

019.jpg

I'm sure a found this picture from somewhere on this thread but when I looked again I couldn't find it. What is it? And does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

Thanks

Just thought I'd let you know that there are TWO for sale on Ebay, one in the UK (SZ large, deadstock) and one in the US (SZ X-large, one wash). Both with booklets - They're both early editions, made in 2000, and have the coverted middle back seam.

Dont know how to link, but just put in 'Lvc levis' in the search box.. and bingo!

Yeah, LVC booklets are pretty cool, but once you've seen one you've seen them all. LS&Co. has a habit of marketing their romantic history, instead of accurately describing details about their LVC products. It's always the same ol' bit about the history of the patent, red tab, hidden rivet, cowboys, crotch rivet, scratched saddles, oldest pair and so and so on -- yaaawn! I mean shut up already Levi's -- we know the drill. I want to know about the shit I'm paying $200+ for, not some f**king broken record history lesson. It'd be nice to see Levi's issue a booklet/hang tag on one pair of LVC telling me in unquestionable detail how the replica differs from the original, how it's made, where it's made and what materials and techniques are used so I know what I'm buying.

I guess LS&Co. figures that as long as something has 'LEVI'S' stampted on it, there's no need to tell their customers exactly what it is because they know that their customers are not buying a product, but are buying the romatic history behind the name.

I think the records skipping again, it keeps playing the same track over and over.