Levi's Vintage Clothing

the surprising thing is how not one single person has stepped up to answer these queries or address these grievances with regards to all the feedback. does anyone find this strange at all???

ha! you should try addressing your concerns with customer service. they might as well be reps for spark plugs or garden hoses because they know nothing about the product much less offer a solution. most reps don't even know what LVC is yet they are paid to "help" us.

Mr. Randal (Roy6) spent enough time jockying the dudes at inspiration, maybe he could give out some email addresses so y'all can submit your grievances.

Let me say that I talked to a few of the LVC dudes at inspiration and I brought up sizing issues and to tell y'all the truth they knew that people thought the sizing was off, but they didn't really think that was the case and it had more to do with the way people wanted to fit into their jeans. So maybe they aren't getting the message.

on some of these models only a gangsta rapper would not size down. i don't know about the rest of you but if i buy a 1944 501 i want it to fit like 1944 not 1994. sounds like Levis think they know better about fits than the 150yr old standard. the whole thing is absurd a 38/36 should measure approx 38 inches in the waist and 36 in length. if that is difficult for them maybe they could hire some minimum wage workers, give them a tape measure and have them check each pair before the size tags are applied. it isn't rocket science.

I'm thinking you should try to find a retailer that would have carried the line from that period. If you're in the UK, I would obviously look up Cinch in London. In the US, there are very few retailers that have sold LVC consistently since the early 2000s (partly because LVC hasn't been sold consistently in the States). There's a thread buried here somewhere that has most of the mini-catalogs that used to come with LVC pieces. Some of them give a summary of the theme for each collection.

hey sufu peeps, this is a strange question, but does anyone know a good source for older LVC (early 2000s, late 90s) lookbooks? I'm a graduate student and I'm writing a paper on levi's/LVC, and the levi's archivist has been really unhelpful :(

thank you! this is perfect. i'm surprised levi's has been so unhelpful, they basically told me 'we can provide you with nothing' and wouldn't even answer basic questions about the LVC brand history and development.

Dont be suprised after reading through the pages of this thread.

They're very secretive about making poetry :D

Edited by Dr_Heech

Just to defend Lynn (if that's indeed who you contacted). She has very little if anything to do with the LVC brand. She's the company historian/archivist. She's based in San Fran and oversees the entire archive/history of Levi. LVC is based in Europe, and (at last check) was treated as part of a separate sub brand of Levi.

LVC will (and has) consulted with Lynn about reproducing certain items from the archives, but I doubt she has much info to offer in the way of LVC.

I guess she could have referred you to someone that could help you, but she's always been nice and helpful to me in the times I've contacted her regarding vintage items and the general history of Levi.

thank you! this is perfect. i'm surprised levi's has been so unhelpful, they basically told me 'we can provide you with nothing' and wouldn't even answer basic questions about the LVC brand history and development.

maybe they make deliberate mistakes in the jeans so that they can be easily differentiated from real vintage.

The big LVC logo on the left pocket bag should be sufficient to identify them as "not original" without intentionally messing up details.

Edited by setterman

as well as the button codes and poly-core thread. in truth very few models would fool anyone familiar with the originals.

Yeah, I don't think any piece of LVC would fool even a new collector into thinking it was an original.

in a different vein, getting ready to wash my 1922 501s, would be nice if LVC made a 20s 506XX out of the same denim.

thats a new thing right? none of the lvc ive had have had any mention of levis vintage clothing on them.

IIRC, it's been on there over a year, so they can now stop intentionally messing their jeans up to protect vintage collectors.

parts of LVC are wrong because of a lack of attention to detail, and laziness to correct the mistakes when they are pointed out.

What's wrong with poly-core threads?

if you saw jeans sewn with cotton thread you wouldn't ask. Lee Japan has had fit issues too (running big to very big as tagged) but their attention to detail is remarkable. they look real esp the 1944 101b other than the little tag saying it's made in japan it is identical in every respect to originals to me.

Could be a "daddy issue" thing going on, but are you satisfied with...anything? Poly-core threads are best of two worlds and let me focus on fades instead of repairs. Although arcs on the back pockets do show a different wear&tear pattern, but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

On a related note: LVC mission statement seems to be in conflict with their current "reproductions". The question is whether their statement should be taken literally or figurative, I believe it's the latter.

i'm not satisfied with anything on a vintage repro that violates the spirit of the original. if you're going to do a reproduction do it right. as far as functionality i suspect you're wrong about polycore. manmade thread will pull on a seam when under stress where cotton would give. i'll bet a polycore sewn pair will get a crotch blowout etc..before an identical pair sewn with cotton thread.

I know many (including me) have had problems post shrikage with their LVC, but has anyone ever "sent them back" for a refund? Just thinking having read the LVC site and their shrink to fit instructions that state - purchase 2" extra in the leg, is not enough as they tend to shrink more. But you'd only be following their guidelines?

I know many (including me) have had problems post shrikage with their LVC, but has anyone ever "sent them back" for a refund? Just thinking having read the LVC site and their shrink to fit instructions that state - purchase 2" extra in the leg, is not enough as they tend to shrink more. But you'd only be following their guidelines?

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has successfully tried this (i.e. has recieved another new pair because of this). I mean, if hundreds of unsatisfied customers returned their Lvc because they went by the shrinkage instructions (the long brown sticker usually stuck to the back right leg under all the pocket flashers) and got a poor result, what would Lvc do??

Back in 'the day', well before 1964, the jeans had the "every garment guaranteed" - they were guaranteed not to rip, or a new pair free. What about "every garment guaranteed to be the correct tagged size or another pair free"? (would have had to have a much wider two-horse brand patch, lol!)

I wonder what would have happened if the sizing issues that have plagued Lvc customers here, were a problem back then?

What would people have done?

(probably bought Lee, wrangler or any other decent brand...)

Edited by Dr_Heech

Wrong. They perfectly stated Inseam from 27" to 34" increase size by 3". Inseam from 36" and UP increase size by 4". For waist you can check yourself. These numbers "magically" coincide with the 10% fabric shrink. I'm getting tired of these childish rants.

I wonder what would have happened if the sizing issues that have plagued Lvc customers here, were a problem back then?

What would people have done?

(probably bought Lee, wrangler or any other decent brand...)

At $5 (or less) a pair, they probably would have just bought another pair in the correct size!

Wrong. They perfectly stated Inseam from 27" to 34" increase size by 3". Inseam from 36" and UP increase size by 4". For waist you can check yourself. These numbers "magically" coincide with the 10% fabric shrink. I'm getting tired of these childish rants.

The brown tag is correct for inseam. For waist it is not correct, because for example, a size 36 does not measure 36" in the waist. It can measure anywhere from 36 to 39" depending on model. So, if you're following the tag for the waist, the same way you would follow it for the inseam, the waist size will always be way too big. Take the 1955 for example (though the same numbers would apply for the 1922 too). A person's waist is 36, so they follow the instructions to size up by 2" and they buy a size 38, which measures 41". A full five inches bigger than the person actually needs. It's not childish (though it is beating a dead horse, and from rnr's post is sounds like LVC doesn't think there's a problem) to point out that LVC's sizing is fucky.

Anyone want to start a group complaint and try to return mis-sized LVC, I've got a pair of 55s (my first pair of LVC) that were way too big because I expected them to start from tag size rather than shrink to it. Wouldn't mind getting my $180 back, or a new pair of 55s.

Edited by setterman

a sufu group return would be interesting and depending on how many pairs would get their attention. i would love to participate but everytime i've been screwed by their sizing i just sold it off on ebay, usually taking a nice haircut in the process. if they'd take my word for it they could send me a check for the financial losses, then we could be friends again.

Colgems, why do you feel compelled to neg people who simply disagree with you?

You're totally right re the sizing - altho I don't understand why people don't simply return them before washing if they're oversized - but quite a few people, including Roy Slaper, use Polycore because it's more practical, and can be sewn under more tension.

And Edwin Lee repros are great, but by no means perfect - the Lee Mftg pockets have parallel edges, when they should be slightly tapered, they have a different arcuate, and the patch is Antiqued, compared to the original pair of pants on which they're based, which used to be in the Lee archives. I think the fabric is fine, certainly good enough for me, but not very exciting. Items like the hardware, especially the rear of the buttons are great. But, guess what, the sizing is off, and inconsistent between models.

I do plan to interview Miles in the next few months, and try and find out why there are the renewed problems with sizing.

Edited by Paul T